Proposal: Min - pitt

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
He's not terrible he's just not fast enough for our system. He'd do great on a bigger western team.

Yep. Stick him in LA's system and people would be like why the f*** did we trade this guy. He'd look like he did the first few years under Bylsma/Johnston.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Minnesota says yes. Kessel has been a bit of a playoff choker but if he can snap that and light it up with the Wild come april/may then I could see this deal being a massive win for the Wild.

Thats a pretty hot take considering the amount of people who think he got robbed of a conn smythe a couple years back.

Oh. Wait. He had a rough playoffs last year .. whole injured.. so choker, amirite?

Must be awful to not remember anything more than 10 minutes ago

Reactions: domaug and Freedom

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
This was my initial reaction as well, but Kessel is under contract at a good cap hit for the next 4 seasons. The qualms I have are:

1.) When is his play likely to fall off? He's kind of a freak so I wouldn't be shocked to see him live up to his contract for the duration, but it's hard to say.
2.) Who do we play him with? Ideally he'd be with Granlund, so do you switch Granlund to LW and play one of Zucker/Parise on the right?

Maata's skating worries me as well. The overall mobility of our blueline is a major strength right now, and I'm not all that comfortable with either Maata or Seeler taking Brodin's minutes.

I don't hate it, though.

Personally I don't see Kessel slowing down that much, at least over the next few seasons. He doesn't throw hits or get hit in the regular season.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
I find it odd that Pens fans aren't in this thread going crazy. Has Maatta been that bad?
he's perfectly fine, but his lack of speed has handicapped him in the Pens system. he's young yet and can still adapt, but i think seeing him get burnt trying to get back into a play all too often has made him expendable in most Pens fans eyes.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The pens defense this year cost 28 million which equates to 35% of the cap max. At no point in the last 10 years have they come close to winning with this high a percentage of the cap spent on defense.

2018/19 = 35%
2017/18 = 32%
*2016/17 = 29%
*2015/16 = 21%
2014/2015 = 31%
2013/2014 = 32%
2012/2013 = 29%
2011/2012 = 29%
2010/2011 = 30%
2009/2010 = 25%
*2008/2009 = 29%

The three years that have the * are the years they won the cup. When JR came to the penguins he started shedding defense. Not resigning guys like Orpik, Niski, and Martin ended up giving guys like Dumo and Maatta a chance. The money he saved by not spending on defense he was able to use for forwards. This formula won. He has thrown that formula out the window. He has now a very over-priced defense that is eating up the biggest chunk of salary in both numbers and percentage of the cap, in the last 10+ years.

It’s not how much they’re paying the defense, it’s who they chose to give that money to.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
It’s not how much they’re paying the defense, it’s who they chose to give that money to.

It’s both. As I showed before; spending that much on defense does not show up as a successful strategy historically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad