Proposal: Min - pitt

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
When teams win championships they pay the guys who won them. This happens in all sports and is why you see teams like Chicago and LA struggling. The Pens d in 2015/2016 was looking pretty bad, then the whole team got going and they brought in Schultz, who has been resigned since. I don't think 28 million is that much when you consider Letang is 7.25 of that.

"This happens in all sports and is why you see teams like Chicago and LA struggling."

This is exactly what has happened along with the unreasonable signing of Jack Johnson to a 5 year deal. 28 million / 35% is bad. You might not think it is, but it is not something that indicates past success.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
"This happens in all sports and is why you see teams like Chicago and LA struggling."

This is exactly what has happened along with the unreasonable signing of Jack Johnson to a 5 year deal. 28 million / 35% is bad. You might not think it is, but it is not something that indicates past success.

It isn't about past success. Teams reward players for Championships. Everyone wants players to be loyal when signing deals, but not the team. Imagine if players in the NHL held out like they do in the NFL everyone would hate it, thats why teams pay their players.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
It isn't about past success. Teams reward players for Championships. Everyone wants players to be loyal when signing deals, but not the team. Imagine if players in the NHL held out like they do in the NFL everyone would hate it, thats why teams pay their players.

Loyalty is fine, and appreciated. But as you have said yourself, it is what is creating problems for teams that win cups. SOOOO, yes it IS about past success. Otherwise, a GM is doing a disservice to his organization. What the Penguins have right now is quite possibly one of the worst defense corps in the NHL yet they are paying the highest percentage of the cap they ever have. Does not compute.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Loyalty is fine, and appreciated. But as you have said yourself, it is what is creating problems for teams that win cups. SOOOO, yes it IS about past success. Otherwise, a GM is doing a disservice to his organization. What the Penguins have right now is quite possibly one of the worst defense corps in the NHL yet they are paying the highest percentage of the cap they ever have. Does not compute.

I would have to look, but I assume teams with the best d corps have a higher percentage than 28%.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
i don't know if either team does it, but i think the value is actually pretty close. if either team needed a huge shake-up deal, this is as close to a "hockey trade" as you could probably get.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
I would have to look, but I assume teams with the best d corps have a higher percentage than 28%.
28%? I am saying the Penguins are at 35%. Find me a team that won the cup with a 35% cap hit on defense.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
28%? I am saying the Penguins are at 35%. Find me a team that won the cup with a 35% cap hit on defense.

It’s not necessarily that 28m/35% is horrible, it’s that the players you spend it on aren’t worth that.

The Wild I think are around 25m for their top 6, but our defensemen are much better for the money.

So there is a problem, but the bigger problem is the who, not the how much.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If shedding cap from the blueline is a priority for Pittsburgh, making a significant upgrade without adding cap seems like a strong first step. At that point you can try to shed someone like Oleksiak or Johnson (I assume?) for picks and still ice a decent top-4.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory

I mistyped that, I meant 28 million. Its hard to compare teams that have won the cup since 2009 only different teams have won. I also still dont think 35% is that far off.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
letang Dumo
Brodin Schultz

Would be a great top 4

And rikola johnson could be a solid btm pairing with Oleksiak as the 7th

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
If Suter insists on playing with Spurgeon then no, we can't afford to do this. Value wise I think it's good if we're looking for short term improvement in forward scoring. Seems like a safe bet. For long term stability though not so much. We are already the oldest team in the league. right hand shot tho.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
This Wild fan would take this deal in a heartbeat.

Granlund-Staal-Kessel
Zucker-Koivu-Parise
Greenway-Eriksson Ek-Coyle
Foligno-Fehr-Brown

Would be a great F core. Still have Suter, Spurgeon and Dumba on blueline

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I do this trade because if granlund has a player who can actually bury pucks he gets 90 points. If granlund and kessel are a PPG, I’ve got wood. I’m just hoping the wild finish 7th in the class detente so we can play pacific division team in the playoffs. I think if we went through the pacific we could do some damage. I don’t like how MN matches up with NSH, WIN, COL, or ever Dallas. I’d much prefer to play the sharks or flames in first round

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I find it odd that Pens fans aren't in this thread going crazy. Has Maatta been that bad?

I like Olli but it's obvious that the Pens have no plans to fire Sullivan anytime soon. Olli is just a terrible fit for what Sullivan asks of his defensemen. Sullivan needs defensemen that can be aggressive and skate. Olli is a positional defenseman with high IQ. His physical skills for his skating/thinking just don't compute with Sullivan wanting his defensemen to be ultra aggressive with pinching all the time. Olli would be tremendous under the right coach. Under Sullivan he looks like a turnstile at times because of the constant pinching he asks the D to do. Oleksiak gets away with it because his wingspan is so damn big he is good at pinching to keep the puck in and also to stop guys from flying around him because of his size/wingspan.

For as much as we bitch about Maatta, I've seen enough of him over the years and under different coaches to realize Olli isn't the issue. He needs to play in a defensive system where positioning is more important than pinching. Sullivan needs a bunch of Torrey Krug's, Ryan Ellis types, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad