Trade: [MIN/PHI] Sam Bradford to the Vikings for 1st rounder in 2017 & 4th rounder in 2018

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Yikes. This deal is also pretty contrary to Speilman's comments from earlier this week:

“The one thing we will not do is put our organization in a situation where it’s going to inhibit us or hurt us going into the future,†Spielman said. “People are asking for some crazy things. People think we’re desperate. We’re not going to do something that in my estimation, in talking with Coach (Mike Zimmer) and our ownership, that puts us in a situation that jeopardizes the future of the franchise.â€

That more than likely means high draft picks are off the table. Spielman isn’t about to part with one for a one-year rental at quarterback while Bridgewater recovers. Spielman also isn’t going to give up any of the Vikings’ up-and-comers, which it sounds like he’s been asked about since Bridgewater went down on Tuesday afternoon.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well technically Bradford's not a rental since he has two years on his deal.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
With those comments made earlier, this leads me to believe that Bridgewater's career might be in jeopardy.

You could certainly do worse than Bradford but holy crap is that price steep. Minnesota is probably still a good team with Bradford though since he can do about the same Bridgewater does assuming he can learn the system.

The biggest thing in this is Chase Daniel finally gets a shot to start. Many think he could be a starting QB, so we'll have to see.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Daniel is unproven while Bradford is a known commodity. I'm just a bit shocked they somehow got a first for him with that contract, and the fact he already wanted out earlier in the offseason...

I'd like the deal in theory if not for that price. It gives the Vikings a guy who is similar to Teddy (short/intermediate passer) and somebody defenses have to take seriously instead of just sticking 9 in the box to shut down Peterson. And it gives them a guy on a two year deal, which again leads me to believe Teddy is in trouble long term health wise.

The only rationale i can come up with is the Vikings think they're good enough with a competent QB to the point where they think the first is going to be somewhere in the back 10.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Teddy's injury was Lattimore like. Bradford gives him two years to heal. Norv Turner and Pat Shurmur run the Vikings O. They were involved in this move.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Sometimes I think GM's and coaches pop in Bradford's Freshman and Soph OU tapes and see the release, big arm and accuracy and think that's the dude they're getting. That player died against BYU his JR year due to his shoulder being mangled.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Sometimes I think GM's and coaches pop in Bradford's Freshman and Soph OU tapes and see the release, big arm and accuracy and think that's the dude they're getting. That player died against BYU his JR year due to his shoulder being mangled.

Bradford always looks so lost on the field . I'll admit I haven't watched much of him as a pro, but he always has that deer in the headlights look every time the camera pans on him.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Vikings seemingly got desperate.

Out of all the QB's in this league to trade for, you tab Bradford? Why not McCarron or Glennon or Stanton? Could have gotten those for 2nd or 3rds at the MOST.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Exactly. Its not like Bridgewater is Brees or Rodgers in which the team success is directly tied to them.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
this deal tells me that they are obviously worried about Bridgewater's health beyond this season. If he was just definitely going to be out this year this deal is not made IMO.
It is a massive overpayment but I guess they would rather overpay then deal with Mike Vick and what ever other bad options are on the waiver wire.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
This is a horrendous move by Vikes

But it also indicates what I suspected. That Bridgewater back in 2017 or even back at all is looking unlikely

Seeing as you were calling for them to add literal garbage like Rex Grossman, and claimed Vick was still a decent QB i don't think you're qualified to tell people what a bad move is.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Seeing as you were calling for them to add literal garbage like Rex Grossman, and claimed Vick was still a decent QB i don't think you're qualified to tell people what a bad move is.

When did I advocate they sign Rex Grossman?

And Bradford is not much better then Vick

And Vick/Grossman/Guy off street would have been better then trading a 1st + 4th for Sam Bradford!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad