GDT: MIN @ NSH - 7 PM Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Just so I understand this correctly, you want us to impose our will against good (some may even say very good) teams because we were able to do so against fringe playoff teams?

I'm not sure what to tell you, other than keep wishing.

You clearly didn’t read my post because that’s not what I said at all. In fact, quite literally the opposite.

I said this team has proven they can impose a style of play on fringe playoff teams. They haven’t proven that they can against playoff teams. That is an observation and one that for all of the reasons you and Talon in the post below called out I hedged with the comment that this observation doesn’t mean that they can’t win against playoff teams as the team has shown in recent games.

However, it would be better if the Wild have, through their acquisitions, found a style of play that allows them to dictate the play and flow of the game against other playoff teams. This would be an indicator that the Wild are truly a contender and that even against good teams they can force the game flow to be in their favor and other teams to play their style rather than the reverse.

I am hopeful, and it would be great to see against Nashville, that the Wild can prove that they can do that against playoff teams. I am not hopeful that we can do that against good teams because we did against fringe teams. I am hopeful that we can do that because our play against fringe teams (and even the Avs to some extent) shows that we have an ability to dominate pretty solid teams in a way we hadn’t previously. If we can show that we can not only dominate play (in one avenue) against fringe playoff teams but also playoff teams than that’s a really exciting indicator that this team could be primed for a run. The best teams in the NHL usually do something in an outlier way from other teams. This allows them to attempt to dictate play in such a way that other teams who try to compete with them playing that style will get consistently beat. An example might be the idea that trying to “outskill” or “outskate” a team like the Avs would not be smart. Instead, it’s important to beat them by trying to make them play the game according to your strengths.

It would be awesome to see the Wild establish an identity that they can rely on (physicality/speed/forecheck) that allows them to be able to rely on a formula in which they are an outlier team and can go into games knowing that teams who try to beat the Wild by playing that game are going to consistently lose. That’s it.

Last edited:

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Playoff teams are typically playoff teams because they don't get the will of other teams imposed on them.

Thus teams need to adjust in other ways.
Sure, and if that’s the case then the Wild will have to adjust in other ways. I am hopeful that given the domination they showed against playoff teams and the investment into building the team’s identity to be able to play a certain way that they can show the same ability to impose a physical will on playoff teams. I think that’s something that we should all be hopeful for as fans.

As we are playing a playoff team, and a team that is somewhere between the caliber of Vancouver/Columbus and Avs/Hurricanes… I made an observation that for me it will be interesting to see if the Wild can impose their physical will against a team of Nashville’s caliber.

If they can, that’s an exciting indicator. I’m sorry if you wouldn’t be happy about that. If they can’t, as I said in previous posts that doesn’t mean that they can’t beat other playoff teams but it is informative.

In game 60 something of a season and heading into the stretch, in my opinion these are the types of takeaways and insights that smart fans should look to analyze and observe and then discuss to see if it means anything through which we can apply to thinking about how this team may perform in the playoffs.

I’m not saying anything outlandish. I didn’t say that I expected the Wild to be able to impose play physically against the Avs of the world as they did to Vancouver. I said it would be great for them to show that the roster improvements they have made to try to make improvements in a specific way (physicality) translate to the Wild being able to set the tone of play even against other playoff teams. I said, if not, that’s also important to know because it means that the team will have to adjust and win in other ways—which they have shown the ability to do so.

Last edited:

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
I expect us to come out strong against the Preds tonight. While I am not able to watch every game on tv, I did watch on Sunday and thought we were plenty physical. I just can't help expecting good things from this team in a way that I don't feel I have before. Plenty of time for things to go wrong, but I just don't feel it will happen like it has so many times to us.

Go Fluery! Go Wild!

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Mats get that assist you need to tie club record! On a Kirill goal of course.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
God I hate EPSN+. I don't really care about the commentators too much. But the video is always terrible and the sound usually sounds off.

Reactions: Southern Minny

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Oh this stupid fighting, Middleton and Foligno out for the next 5 mins of play.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Granted... many years of artillery have not helped my ears at all. But, it honestly sounds terrible to me. But maybe that's just me! Lol
The mix is definitely different. They seem to crank the crowd noise up at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad