Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Jordan Schroeder (1 year, $600k 2-way)

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Schroeders problem was never his lack of size. He is strong as an ox and is fleet of foot.

Jordans problem has always been between his ears. He spaces out and loses focus constantly. He cannot apply himself for 60 min every night and it shows in his play.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
So I take Minnesota's gamble was successful? Fair enough.

...must be demoralizing as hell for Schroeder though.

Just to play devil's advocate, Schroeder could counter that teams are still tinkering with their budget, that objectively "better" players than him like Hudler or Vrbata have also gone untouched by all 30 teams so far, and that plenty of good players have passed through the waiver wire unclaimed (e.g. Mike Hoffman) and it's not a reliable measure of a player's skills.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
of course it's a reliable measure of a player's skill. It's just not an absolute indicator, but it will - with a high degree of reliability - predict whether a player is an NHLer or not.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Gaunce, Jensen, Schroeder, Hodgson, White, and Grabner...that's 6 busts in a row and doesn't include 2010 when they traded away the top 3 rounds....impressive.

Grabner played 397 games in the NHL and is normally gonna play there next year.
Hodgson played 328 games in the NHL (future unknown).

They may be disappointments, but they're not busts.

rafterman

Dec 1, 2010
Flyover country
Just to play devil's advocate, Schroeder could counter that teams are still tinkering with their budget, that objectively "better" players than him like Hudler or Vrbata have also gone untouched by all 30 teams so far, and that plenty of good players have passed through the waiver wire unclaimed (e.g. Mike Hoffman) and it's not a reliable measure of a player's skills.

The Wild can also point to the fact he cleared waivers 3 other times in the past year. At pretty much every point in the season (and now offseason) he was out there and no one grabbed him.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
imo, all it proves is that 29 other teams don't want to get stuck with whatever the arbitration ends up being. At this point in the off-season, why would they?

Which in turn means that all 29 teams believe he's not going to be worth whatever they think he'll get in arbitration, which in turn is a decent argument he should get less in arbitration.

Doesn't mean they think he's worthless, just not worth what he will probably get which is a decent argument to not give him as much.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
This simply boils down to calling a spade a spade.

He's an NHL/AHL tweener and/or injury callup. Of course he wants a one-way deal, everyone does. Doesn't mean he deserves it -- but he'd be stupid not to try to play hardball to get it. This move just proves that, at this point in time, no GM believe's he's anything more than what he's shown to be so far.

I hope we can keep him. He's a good presence in Iowa for a team that's got a huge influx of new players this season. And he's shown that he can at least play 4th line minutes in a pinch.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I don't think not claiming him because of arbitration is really a ting since the team is able to simply walk away from the award and let him go the UFA route. I doubt he finds a 1-way deal as a UFA so I don't really see what leverage he even has.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
of course it's a reliable measure of a player's skill. It's just not an absolute indicator, but it will - with a high degree of reliability - predict whether a player is an NHLer or not.

That wiggle room is really all Schroeder needs to make the point that good players have gone through waivers in the past. Obviously his lackluster point totals in the NHL are going to be way more damning to his own case, but he can still make the argument.

The Wild can also point to the fact he cleared waivers 3 other times in the past year. At pretty much every point in the season (and now offseason) he was out there and no one grabbed him.

Clearly, but that fact was already in place regardless of whether or not the Wild waived him the other day.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I would be surprised if Schroeder was able to get a 1-way contract via arbitration. The killer is his NHL games played of 31, 25, 25 and 26 over four seasons.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don't think not claiming him because of arbitration is really a ting since the team is able to simply walk away from the award and let him go the UFA route. I doubt he finds a 1-way deal as a UFA so I don't really see what leverage he even has.

Teams can't walk away from arbitration awards unless they're $3.9m+.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
A "claiming" team wouldn't lose priority should that happen?

I mean... losing "priority" in July 19th would be extremely stupid. Better players than Schroeder, or players more apt to fill a given special need (say, 4th line PKer gets injured for 3 months in training camp) will be available at the beginning of the season.

You don't "lose priority" in the NHL. The waiver priority is always based on standings no matter how many players you claim.

Last years standings through November 15th... the current year after that.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I remember when he was drafted some called him a huge steal and down played his size compared him to Gilmour. He is an example of putting to much emphases on late first picks

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I remember when he was drafted some called him a huge steal and down played his size compared him to Gilmour. He is an example of putting to much emphases on late first picks

He was fairly well regarded in his draft, I remember that.
An argument an be made for relying to much on projection and potential, but it can't really be said VAN stretched.

Also, I imagine this is not to say no NHL teams would take him on waivers, normally.
This was clearly MIN flexing. If another NHL team were to claim him, that would have solidified Schroeder's camp's case (by disproving MIN's case), giving Schroeder more ammo in a case against his new team.

A team claiming him would've jacked up his asking price/arb award, and the claiming team would've been stuck dealing with it.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

He was once ranked as high as top-5 in his draft class. His ranking slid during his draft year. He was still top-15 in some rankings just before the draft. The problem is that his development never progressed since his pre-draft year.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Schroeders problem was never his lack of size. He is strong as an ox and is fleet of foot.

Jordans problem has always been between his ears. He spaces out and loses focus constantly. He cannot apply himself for 60 min every night and it shows in his play.

His problem is that he isn't actually fleet of foot. People just assume small players are fast because those who are successful tend to be spectacular skaters.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
His problem is that he isn't actually fleet of foot. People just assume small players are fast because those who are successful tend to be spectacular skaters.

But Schroeder is fast. He is always skating at a million miles an hour but can't seem to find himself in the right position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad