Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Jordan Schroeder (1 year, $600k 2-way)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Weird time to waive someone. Trying to free a contract spot/ give him a chance elsewhere?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Ehh... They have a guy in arbitration and can thus proceed to one buyout?

EDIT : I didn't even know a team could put an out-of-contract player on the waivers.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Must be unconditional or termination waivers. Buyouts are done and I don't think conventional waivers can start until some time in October. He must be heading for Europe or something.

Edit: Weird - it looks like he's an RFA.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
marc_bergevin.jpg

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I just learned that a guy who is not under contract can be put on waivers.
I wish I could've learned something more useful today :)

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
they did this with Viellieux as well i believe. they said "LOL sure lets see what you're worth" and he came back and signed a cheap two way when no one picked him up.

Bet it doesn't feel good.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
...Seriously, I was about to suggest that a team could offer a 1-way deal to Schroeder that he would presumably accept (and that the Wild wouldn't match) for which no compensation whatsoever would be going to Minnesota due to being below threshold for compensation

Granted, that's impossible due to arbitration, but I think that's the best deal Schroeder could've gotten in the circumstances.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Smart move. They waive him, and when he passes through then the Wild can then state with certainty at an arbitration hearing that there is no way this guy can argue for a one-way deal from us... when the entire league just passed on his services (for the inconsequential cost of a waiver claim).

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Smart move. They waive him, and when he passes through then the Wild can then state with certainty at an arbitration hearing that there is no way this guy can argue for a one-way deal from us... when the entire league just passed on his services (for the inconsequential cost of a waiver claim).

Pretty much this. I'm sure the NHL Salary is all but settled at league minimum, Schroeder is just looking for it to be one way.

Wild are probably offering 600K/250K on a two way or something along those lines.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Smart move. They waive him, and when he passes through hen the Wild can then state with certainty at an arbitration hearing that there is no way this guy can argue for a one-way deal from us... when the entire league just passed on his services for the inconsequential cost of a waiver claim.

A "claiming" team wouldn't lose priority should that happen?

I mean... losing "priority" in July 19th would be extremely stupid. Better players than Schroeder, or players more apt to fill a given special need (say, 4th line PKer gets injured for 3 months in training camp) will be available at the beginning of the season.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Has this ever happened before?

It has! And, interestingly enough, it was with the Minnesota Wild just under a different GM and with Stephane Veilleux!

In a surprise strategical move, the Wild placed the fifth-year left wing on waivers Wednesday in an attempt to resolve a contract dispute with the restricted free agent
According to assistant GM Tom Lynn, the two sides are far apart on a contract. Veilleux wants to work out a long-term deal with the Wild, but he wants a significant pay hike from last year's $595,000 salary because he can become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

"We are far apart in our evaluation and Steph really believes in a higher number," Lynn said. "So here's a way of figuring out who's right: 'If you're right, you'll be taken off waivers and paid your X dollars by another team.'

"If we're right and he goes through waivers, Steph will see nobody claimed him and it might bring the sides together and solve the problem before (Veilleux's) arbitration (hearing Monday)."
http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/minnesota-puts-veilleux-waivers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad