Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Jordan Schroeder (1 year, $600k 2-way)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Another interesting issue: if a team claims him, but fail to reach a deal, does he still get an arbitration hearing ?

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
A "claiming" team wouldn't lose priority should that happen?

I mean... losing "priority" in July 19th would be extremely stupid. Better players than Schroeder, or players more apt to fill a given special need (say, 4th line PKer gets injured for 3 months in training camp) will be available at the beginning of the season.

this isnt a thing in the NHL .. just in some people's fantasy leagues.

priority doesnt change with a seleciton.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Never knew why we qualified him in the first place. Won't get claimed. Or at least I'd very very surprised if he was. Probably lose his arbitration case and stay in Iowa all season.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Never knew why we qualified him in the first place. Won't get claimed. Or at least I'd very very surprised if he was. Probably lose his arbitration case and stay in Iowa all season.

Because he's useful in the AHL/ Spot NHL duty and won't cost anything. Him filling for arbitration nor this move of waiving him don't and won't change that.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
edit: nm digression. Schroeder isn't worth losing any sleep over. we have prospects that could use his minutes and his call-up spot to fill in for injuries with the Wild.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
He must have gone back and read the Jordan Schroeder hypetrain HF threads from 5 years ago before he filed.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Because he's useful in the AHL/ Spot NHL duty and won't cost anything. Him filling for arbitration nor this move of waiving him don't and won't change that.

edit: nm digression. Schroeder isn't worth losing any sleep over. we have prospects that could use his minutes and his call-up spot to fill in for injuries with the Wild.

Ryn's quote pretty much echoes my thinking of Schroeder. Never much been a fan of him myself. If he can help Iowa, then cool. I'd just rather explore another option for his contract slot.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Shredder needs a trip to KHL. He is the type that bangs a top30 scoring result on the big ice sheet.

Good depth player, but IMO he needs to give up and make his millions now. Wild/NHL has little use for him.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
He has pretty good speed and skill - just not good enough to crack a top 6.

He should get his passport ready and think about Europe - I bet he'd do well there.

edit: just saw gwh's post. Same idea.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
marc_bergevin.jpg

Perfect partner for DD and Byron on the 2nd wave of PP

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Smart move. They waive him, and when he passes through then the Wild can then state with certainty at an arbitration hearing that there is no way this guy can argue for a one-way deal from us... when the entire league just passed on his services (for the inconsequential cost of a waiver claim).

Yup, this is a beautiful negotiation tactic, haha. Totally cutthroat, not in a bad way, I love it.

Another interesting issue: if a team claims him, but fail to reach a deal, does he still get an arbitration hearing ?

This is what I came to ask. Does the arbitration date just stick in this case?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Any team that claims him inherits the arbitration. It's possible they might allow them to move the date, but I doubt it.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Just another of a long line of Vancouver 1st round busts.

Gaunce, Jensen, Schroeder, Hodgson, White, and Grabner...that's 6 busts in a row and doesn't include 2010 when they traded away the top 3 rounds....impressive.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Fascinating idea. Using a waiver clear to create evidence for a low arbitration award. Inventive strategy.

Of course, the wisest course of action would have been to just not qualify him at all.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Fascinating idea. Using a waiver clear to create evidence for a low arbitration award. Inventive strategy.

Of course, the wisest course of action would have been to just not qualify him at all.

meh. Think his base QO was $660k. I don't think the Wild expected him to be a headache and file for arbitration. If they did they probably wouldn't have QO'd him.

He's a injury callup, and a good AHL vet for a weak AHL team.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So I take Minnesota's gamble was successful? Fair enough.

...must be demoralizing as hell for Schroeder though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad