Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BUF] Marcus Johansson for Eric Staal

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t understand this at all for Minnesota.

I really hope they don’t envision Johansson at center...?

There must be an attendant deal being worked on that lands them a top-6 C; otherwise, this just doesn’t make sense.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Pretty sure Minnesota has enough Johanssons already, but whatever.

Streaky finesse forward who is paid too much and goes through massive scoring droughts? Hmmm...does check the boxes.

Dumba needs to bring back a center - I assume that’s the plan. Not sure why the Wild needed MoJo though or his salary. Trade Dumba for a top 6 center and then deal Staal for youth would seem to make more sense...

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I thought Minnesota needed more centers, not less...? I'd only think this makes sense if Minnesota has some other corresponding move lined up for a center.

Reactions: Morrison

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I like this deal for Buffalo

MJ has not come close to replicating success he had a few years back with Caps while Staal though declining is a good fit for a top 6/9 C spot

I think MoJo could still be a solid add in the right scheme and with the right linemates. He does very well in transition, but he's pretty average in both the offensive and defensive zones.

At Staal's age, his production could drop off a cliff at any moment, but he's been chugging along strong the last few years and should be a good stopgap 2C for Buffalo.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Extremely smart move by Buffalo. They get a 2C for a year so they don’t have to rush Cozen. Gives them a legit 2C for next year while Cozen can learn the ropes in a sheltered role or head back to Junior for more seasoning.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm going with the idea that this is just the first move of something bigger.....at least I hope that's the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad