Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BUF] Marcus Johansson for Eric Staal

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
I can understand wanting to get faster, but when your team had 1 top-6 natural center(not anymore) this isn't the deal to get faster. I guess we'll play Johansson at center(we have 7 LHS wingers already), but he's not really a top-6 guy, there was already an opening to experiment Eriksson Ek with Bjugstad as the fallback, now we just have another fallback?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Marcus Johansson had 30 points in 60 games, has a cap hit of 4.5M for the upcoming season than UFA

Eric Staal had 47 in 66 and has a cap hit of 3.25M this year, than UFA

Johansson is owed more real $$$ as well.

No idea what Minny is thinking here. They get the worse player, who has a larger cap hit, and makes more real money.
Well said. Not sure what the possible upside for Minnesota is on this one. I really like Staal, he is still a quality player.

Reactions: Cor

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Just straight up? What?
ezrPrOV.gif

You know who Minnesota is going to trade for next? You guessed it, Frank Stallone.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
My whole argument was how the contract made no sense for a team that was rebuilding. Now the team continues to make moves indicating they are rebuilding.

You do you though...

We just traded FOR a guy that's going to turn 30 in 3 weeks. How in the hell is this a rebuilding move?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Brodin doesn't have anything to do with this.

Isn't the confusion of the concepts about steps forwards and backwards in terms of Minny being a contender? Brodin move is a contention forward move, this one looks like a step back. It might make sense in the grand scheme of things, but right now, it seems like it's confusing as F.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
We just traded FOR a guy that's going to turn 30 in 3 weeks. How in the hell is this a rebuilding move?

lol...

If you don't understand how this is a step backwards after signing a 27 year old to a long term "win now" contract, I dunno how to explain it to you.

But, I mean, I'm sure Bjugstad and MoJo will really make you guys do well this year when they play 50 games combined.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Just wondering what you mean by meaningless.

This a a STEAL for buffalo.
it's valuable to offload mojo's contract which wasn't great but wasn't immovable. I just don't see staal at 36 in the last year of his deal all that valuable to a non contending buffalo squad outside of buying a development year for cozens as others have pointed out, but then you could argue keeping mojo would have accomplished the same although they still would have needed to eventually move his deal. minnesota certainly didn't have to do this trade though

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
kind of a head scratched on both sides. minnesota got a pretty vanilla return there, on the flip side I guess buffalo just wanted to dump johansson's contract? because I'm not sure what an about to be 36 year old declining center like buffalo is supposed to do for them since buffalo is not going to be competing for anything than maybe a playoff appearance and 1st round exit next year
What could Staal teach Eichel and Cozens??
A ton. Absolutely what the Sabres needed.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
What’s in for Parise? He has guaranteed money, NMC and he’s home with his family with a Pandemic out in the world.

he already waived his NMC to come to the islanders. Trade fell through. Parise and Ladd both waived. It’s common knowledge. Parise is probably happy to stay in MIN but he was ready and willing to be an islander. Probably has a lot to do with his Father and Lamoriello

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
it's valuable to offload mojo's contract which wasn't great but wasn't immovable. I just don't see staal at 36 in the last year of his deal all that valuable to a non contending buffalo squad outside of buying a development year for cozens as others have pointed out, but then you could argue keeping mojo would have accomplished the same although they still would have needed to eventually move his deal. minnesota certainly didn't have to do this trade though

Buffalo is not contending? Says who?

Staal for MoJo is certainly a "contending" move.

Also, Skinner and Staal have a history so that builds a second line almost immediately. Skinner was basically mentored by Staal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad