Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BUF] Marcus Johansson for Eric Staal

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
kind of a head scratched on both sides. minnesota got a pretty vanilla return there, on the flip side I guess buffalo just wanted to dump johansson's contract? because I'm not sure what an about to be 36 year old declining center like buffalo is supposed to do for them since buffalo is not going to be competing for anything than maybe a playoff appearance and 1st round exit next year
Buffalo dumps a deal and allows Cozens one more year to move into 2c role. I get their side.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
That is still an improvement for the Sabres. And if some playoff action means a happy Jack you do whatever it takes.
I don't think a 36 year old center that is slowly declining is the difference between the sabres making the playoffs or not

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
kind of a head scratched on both sides. minnesota got a pretty vanilla return there, on the flip side I guess buffalo just wanted to dump johansson's contract? because I'm not sure what an about to be 36 year old declining center like buffalo is supposed to do for them since buffalo is not going to be competing for anything than maybe a playoff appearance and 1st round exit next year

He's a pretty good one year stop-gap to give time for Cozens or maybe Mittelstadt time to develop. They're also saving money and cap space and are moving on from a a guy that really didn't work at all as a 2C.

Reactions: MayDay and Yemmar

TheNorthStars

Stars/Leafs
Sep 3, 2018
Is Guerin making moves just to make moves?? Bjugstad was sort of understandable but this one is puzzling.

Part of a bigger picture I presume. Seeing Staal in a Buffalo jersey is going to be really weird though.

Reactions: dukeofjive

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I don't think a 36 year old center that is slowly declining is the difference between the sabres making the playoffs or not

I think he is tbh. Didn’t show decline in the playoff and is still good for 55 points from the second line.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

They need a 2C to help with Eichel's work load, so to stall, they acquired Staal?

Reactions: Crow

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I like this deal for Buffalo

MJ has not come close to replicating success he had a few years back with Caps while Staal though declining is a good fit for a top 6/9 C spot

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I don't see why Guerin made that move. Can any Minny fan enlighten us? Was asked unhappy or something?
I don’t think we even know why. I guess we are getting younger and banking on Eric’s production dropping off at his age.

this move only makes a lot of sense if a center trade is incoming later.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
He's a pretty good one year stop-gap to give time for Cozens or maybe Mittelstadt time to develop. They're also saving money and cap space and are moving on from a a guy that really didn't work at all as a 2C.
that's kind of my thought, although you have to wonder why minnesota is taking mojo then when staal could have at least returned a better pick more valuable than mojo...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad