Proposal: Miller's Trade Value

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Right now I am thinking we should just resign Miller and Vanek. We would still have enough money to sign 1 or 2 quality players from the loaded free agent market of 2014. If Malkin somehow makes it to free agency, I would expect Pegula would offer him the biggest contract in NHL history. If he were to sign and we have a ton of cap space in his first year, could we give him like 20 million in year one, which would all go against the cap that year and keep him at a much lower salary for the rest of the contract? Is that how the new CBA works?

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Right now I am thinking we should just resign Miller and Vanek. We would still have enough money to sign 1 or 2 quality players from the loaded free agent market of 2014. If Malkin somehow makes it to free agency, I would expect Pegula would offer him the biggest contract in NHL history. If he were to sign and we have a ton of cap space in his first year, could we give him like 20 million in year one, which would all go against the cap that year and keep him at a much lower salary for the rest of the contract? Is that how the new CBA works?

tee hee hee hee

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

Cap hit is the total amount of the contract divided by the number of years. Actual dollars each year is irrelevant for purpose of cap hit.

But there was rules that limit the variance of the dollar amount from year to year. So you can't pay a guy $20M one year and $5M the next.

Finally, there is a limit to what percentage of the upper cap any one player can make in that year (cap hit or actual dollars). I think it's still 20%?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
First of all, the 2014 FA class looks loaded because they cannot be signed to extensions.
This summer, I expect many of the names to drop off the list, as that's when they'll be eligible for extensions.
Malkin will likely be one of those.

Second, you cannot pay a player $20m a year.
The cap would need to be $100m for that to be possible.
It's going to be $64.3m next year, which means the max will be $12.86m.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
So if NJ trades their first round pick can they then chose to forfeit it? Cause that would be awesome and I hope it happens to toronto.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
tee hee hee hee

What is funny is your response to my post. It is perfectly logical to think that Malkin may want to get out of Crosby's shadow and find a new team where he can be the leader. This could cause Malkin to decline resigning with the Penguins. If this happens do you seriously think Pegula won't offer Malkin an absolutely huge contract, because he will.

As far as the money question is concerned, I work full time and go to UB full time, so I really haven't had time to go over the particulars of the new CBA. I figured if I asked on hockey's futrure I would get the info I was looking for without having ot search for it. If that is funny to you then I guess you can laugh but I have watched pretty much every Sabres game since I was 9 years old and I know my ****.

Next time if you have something informative or interesting to add I would like to hear it. Otherwise try to post something of value that doesn't make you look like a jerk.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
I'd Miller will get a similar return to Pom, but I think rather than a two prospects we'll have to take some contract back, Not many teams are going to want to take Millers contract. I honestly think he'll be part of draft weekend though, or at least during the offseason.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
What is funny is your response to my post. It is perfectly logical to think that Malkin may want to get out of Crosby's shadow and find a new team where he can be the leader. This could cause Malkin to decline resigning with the Penguins. If this happens do you seriously think Pegula won't offer Malkin an absolutely huge contract, because he will.

As far as the money question is concerned, I work full time and go to UB full time, so I really haven't had time to go over the particulars of the new CBA. I figured if I asked on hockey's futrure I would get the info I was looking for without having ot search for it. If that is funny to you then I guess you can laugh but I have watched pretty much every Sabres game since I was 9 years old and I know my ****.

Next time if you have something informative or interesting to add I would like to hear it. Otherwise try to post something of value that doesn't make you look like a jerk.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1317097

15 secs that took, while working an overnight shift because I go to class full time, but I know where that is because when I had a question I went and found it knowing that a hockey futures forum would probably have that info in a sticky, probably in a forum labeled The Business of Hockey :amazed:

and dont worry if Malkin is going to become a free agent every team in the NHL will make an offer, hes only the 1b player across the entire league

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If they are going to move him, there are only going to be a few teams interested. I don't see a king's ransom for him either.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Islanders maybe? They're window is opening and nabakov is old and a below average starter

I'd hardly say the isles window is opening. They are a young team with little playoff experience, learning how to win, how to play consistently.
Also, I think Nabby's played solidly, while providing leadership.

Miller: 13-15-5 SV% .913 GAA 2.80
Nabby:18-11-4 SV% .906 GAA 2.64

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I would expect NYI to be on Miller's NMC list. There's really only a few other teams with a question at goalie where Miller's (even partial) cap hit could fit...Chi, St.L, Cal, Clb, Det, maybe Wash. Cal and Clb might be on that list too, and Det has traditionally not sunk a high cap # into their goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00