Confirmed with Link: Miller Re-Signed 7y/56m 8mAAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Interesting. If they’re out of it before the deadline and actually move Miller on the new deal I’ll give them a Hell of a lot of credit. That’s some smart movement.

They obviously did it for a reason. If this roster crashes and burns again, tear it down.
Yep. It's likely insurance for if the team they constructed comes out and lays an absolute egg up until the deadline. The fact that they can move Miller under those circumstances would be ideal.

Reactions: MarkMM and TruGr1t

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If you trade him, you basically signal your any meaningful free agent you aren’t to be trusted. Zero percent chance he gets traded before that contract starts.

This is overblown. If this roster lays another egg everyone who knows anything about the league will understand why they make major moves. That’ll be the story, not the contract.

Reactions: MarkMM and Josepho

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
This is such an overblown nothingburger. People are going to speculate it’s Petey.

Oh I agree. From what he’s said himself, he can be a bit abrasive and could communicate better. Earlier in the off-season, it was reported that a few teams were turned off on him because of this while with the Rangers. I don’t actually thinks it’s an issue now.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Not directly connected to that tweet, but another reason why I wanted the team to move on from Miller is I felt it would provide an opportunity for other players to find roles as leaders on the roster. Miller is a big voice and presence in the room/on the ice. I wanted to see a guy like Pettersson develop into a leader, kind of in the mold of Naslund.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
EP40 is still young tho, If it is him with the issues, I am sure he will eventually mature and become a great leader.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
For the hand wringers, think of Miller's contract as being for 8 years at 7.66M per year.

Now do you feel better.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Didn't this happen to like Richards and Carter in Philly?

upthread i mentioned that this happened to marian hossa. not the NMC part, just the taking a discount to help the roster part.

hossa signs his contract and hours later they turn around and trade him to atlanta for dany heatley. a year later, chara doesn’t even consider re-signing at a team friendly number and they lose him for nothing.

i also hypotheized upthread that if we pull this on miller, as high as the reward might be, that also means horvat’s negotiations start at an $8 million cap hit and when petey is up he’s going to play the hardest hard ball anybody’s ever seen.

Reactions: racerjoe

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I feel better thinking of it as a 6 year @ 9.66 with a 4m ish bonus/penalty at the end.
I like your upside down thinking.

But JT actually has no bonuses in his last year and as a little Christmas miracle, this means he actually has to play his last year unlike many other bonus babies.

He may just retire at that point.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I like your upside down thinking.

But JT actually has no bonuses in his last year and as a little Christmas miracle, this means he actually has to play his last year unlike many other bonus babies.

He may just retire at that point.

The 4m ish would be the buyout cost in the last year, but I guess he could always just retire too if it came to that. Or LTIRetire too.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
For the hand wringers, think of Miller's contract as being for 8 years at 7.66M per year.

Now do you feel better.
The contract is fine and the player is good. The players timeline for our team sucks because there isn't a quick fix for this team.

You can tell it was a terrible move for the Canucks based on the panic and motivation everyone has suddenly developed to sell the future for mediocre targets on d out of a desperate need to be competitive right now, this year. And I mean terrible in the sense of that we're probably not going to pull off a trade miracle and we're probably not going to become contenders for the next several years, the contract itself is good it's the context that's bad.

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
While I personally don't like the deal. I can see why things were done. #1 The Slumlord developers want a SC before the old Slumlord croaks. #2 in terms of the contracts given out to players on the edge of 30 or in their 30's it is a pretty good deal cash wise. #3. The Canucks play in a division with Edmonton and Calgary and they can't play Calgary style. Like Edmonton they have good offence but the D is a work in progress, early work! So they hope to score their way to the playoffs. Then have Demko win them a round. #4 The Canucks have wingers up the Wazoo. Kuz is not going to Abbotsford, none of the Russians are, so that is 3 spots taken, unless Hogs is going down, who misses the cut? And that still means players sitting out. # 5 This sets a base price that Horvath can't get above. Petey will need big numbers to go much higher in his new contract. It's a benchmark for the team. The top scorer gets $8 mil. I can see a multi player trade happening with wingers or maybe Myres (Please) moved out. It's a win now and it won't work. I don't see them getting enough for Horvath to make trading him viable unless it's a big Trade Deadline deal..

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
This is such an overblown nothingburger. People are going to speculate it’s Petey.
A guy yelling "iceberg" on the deck of the Titanic is a part of the solution. Whomever was a non-team player on team Titanic gets my applause.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
#4 The Canucks have wingers up the Wazoo. Kuz is not going to Abbotsford, none of the Russians are, so that is 3 spots taken, unless Hogs is going down, who misses the cut? And that still means players sitting out.
Lockwood goes down. That only leaves 13 nhl forwards. Hogs, Dick, Lazar and Joshua battle for the opening night roster spots. 1 sits. Someone will be injured soon enough (like always).
Having great depth at forward is only a problem if you're going to lose someone decent on waivers (not likely this year), or you use it to point out the problematic defence group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad