Confirmed with Link: Miller Re-Signed 7y/56m 8mAAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Compared to the signings of Huberdeau, Tkachuk and Kadri, this contract is excellent value for the Canucks. A seven year term at $8m per is a contract you can live with, particularly considering the salary cap is likely to rise significantly next season.

You certainly can't buy Miller's combination of scoring, toughness and leadership on the open market. Not sure what this means for Horvat, but I guess you cross that bridge when you come to it.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Something has to give. Either with Horvat or maybe a Garland trade.

I'm just thinking about the massive EP extension looming.
Just looking past that, this is now a four year window.

You need to get two top four D and another top six two-way forward.

It will be very hard to make those upgrades with next to no futures and zero capspace.

Oh boy. Very curious.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

It will be very hard to make those upgrades with next to no futures and zero capspace.

Oh boy. Very curious.

Right? I’ve said all along that if they go this route they are threading the finest of needles. There’s ways to make it all work but I have no idea how they’ll go about doing that.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

Oh boy. Very curious.
The cap is only depressed for another two seasons. Once the bubble is paid off, the cap will rocket up into the $90M's range

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

Oh boy. Very curious.
Watch us start trading 1sts and 2nds and make a run for the second round. This will end up being Benning v2

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Just wanted to point out that again, no insider had this at all...
FO is locked down, nice to see

Honestly Miller is a guy we should be keeping for around 5 more years. Guys like Boeser, Horvat (slow skating, mediocre defensive) guys should likely be shipped out for D in this window. 8m is good value if the team has a vision to make moves to compete and fill the roster where holes are (D for God's sake). If they don't have a plan here it will age horribly

I'm excited to see where this goes and cautiously optimistic

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Miller will be turning 31 in 2023-24, the first year of the deal.

I just can't get behind giving a guy that kind of term through his 30s. He's been exceptionally durable in his career, can that continue? I have my doubts. There's a chance it's a negative contract before it even kicks in.

Miller has been a fantastic player during his time here - don't want to take anything away from that. This just seems like bad business to me, though.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Shocked at this, and cautiously optimistic.

Really happy to see he didn't screw us like Gaudreau, it answers the question about whether he was itching to get out of here.

I'm operating on the assumption we're not done yet, if we trade Boeser (my choice), possibly Garland, hopefully Myers and maybe Horvat, suddenly things might free up and this could look like a better balanced and more flexible team, still able to go after a RHD.

Plus, the sign and trade may be in play depending on trade protections, but this does alleviate the risk of us losing him for nothing.

Don't think it will be a sign and trade as he only got 7 years. Any team could offer that.

We will have to wait and see what else they have planned, I only don't like it as I don't see a way with him to be a contender. I just don't see other moveable assets for what we need.

Love the Centre Depth now though assuming we keep Bo as he is the Captain.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
term and dollars are pretty okay. not fantastic but it's nice they avoided giving him the 8th year

not sure how they build a competitive team around him though. i think miller/pettersson is a marginally better pairing at c than pettersson/horvat but i'm unconvinced they have the guts to move horvat. i think it's likely miller ends up on the wing. in which case you need to somehow get someone to give you something for garland or boeser and you still need to come up with a miracle to find a top pairing RD

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
The cap is only depressed for another two seasons. Once the bubble is paid off, the cap will rocket up into the $90M's range
We are trying to compete now. This signing means this year is part of the go for it years. When you give a guy seven years in his 30s, you better damn well be making a legitimate push the first 3-4 years.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I might be in the minority here but I like it. Miller wasn’t going to return good value in reference to his actual production.

Fair contract. He’s our best player and big part of the team. I’m a lot happier with offseason now - there’s a big picture direction and Atleast we know what it is. (Although some might wanted him traded and retool).

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Not sure I'm a fan of this move at all. Miller's a great player and likely has a few more good years in him, but as others have said - it definitely ropes us into the "win now" mode with a team that's far from contender status.

I guess the offers we were getting for him were absolute shit and he was worth way more to us than anything we'd get in return.

Ah well. Onwards, to mediocrity!

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Spitballing but I wonder if it spurs management on to fix the defense quicker or if they’ll continue to sit back and wait. Going into the season with Poolman & Schenn as realistic candidates for top-4 ice time is not something a playoff team does.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Best news all summer!

All the people crying about this probably were the same people lining up to pat Treliving on the back for the Huberdeau and Kadri deals.

Shut up Drance. Seriously, trading Miller for a bag of hockey pucks was never on.
Hmm what difference is there between Calgary and Vancouver though?

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Guess the Miller offers were utter garbage.
This signing makes me much more curious as to what was going on with NYI

If you were that close to trading him to the Isles, what changed philosophically in six weeks? Their best offer six weeks ago was reportedly below Hughes number and 6 years. What changed there?

Surely another shoe falls? Right?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
We are trying to compete now. This signing means this year is part of the go for it years. When you give a guy seven years in his 30s, you better damn well be making a legitimate push the first 3-4 years.

Which we can. We have an above average starter. We have our point-getter D in Hughes. We have good center depth, which we could leverage by trading Horvat for a top 4 RHD. We have scoring from the wings and we have improved our PK. Maybe not a cup team in 2023, but the skeleton is there. What's holding us back is cap management, but again, cap is going up in 2 seasons. In the meantime, we get this core some playoff experience.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
The window has always been the contracts of Hughes and Demko. 5 years. You can argue back n forth whether the team will be able to compete, but the timeframe has never been debatable. JT is the teams best player, and will likely be one of the best over those 5 years.

This was the obvious play all along, all parties have said nothing to suggest otherwise.

Complain away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad