Confirmed with Link: Miller Re-Signed 7y/56m 8mAAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Love this signing! So much more valuable to the team than Bo or Boeser. Punt those two and address the D now
They just signed BB. I don’t see them trading him for a year.

Just this whole thing is wow. I’ve grown to really like Miller but I do not see the path to building a sustainable contender with him on that deal. He was the best trade chip we had to accelerating that inevitable process.

I was also convinced they wouldn’t do both of push above QH salary or go above 6 years. Wow.

I also did not expect Miller to take 8 AAV, but that’s a lot of total salary so it makes sense.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Looks like we might trade Bo Horvat for that right handed defenceman instead

Treefingers

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 21, 2006
Vancouver
Woah. Did not expect Miller to re-sign tbh. Not really sure how I feel. The deal seems fair I suppose given what other players have been getting, but I don't really think the Canucks are in a position as a team to be doing this. Guess Horvat will be gone?

Reactions: Indiana

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Disgusted. We have a window of 1-2 years to make the playoffs but will be totally prevented from doing a full rebuild over the next 5 if things go to shit.

Things really go to hell in 2024 with EP's next contract. Bo will likely chew up major cap as well.

I think the window is longer than that, the problem is it starts now, and I don't think we are close now.

Reactions: mriswith

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Fair deal.

In terms of the makeup of the team, it's pretty surprising to see it happen, and a bit shocking to see that they'll likely have to move Bo out.

On the plus side, he's easily the most vocal leader on the team, and that counts for a lot given that it seems management thinks our young players haven't been kept accountable.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Considering Boeser makes 6.65 and Pettersson makes 7.35, Miller at 7 million is a bargain. I guess the thinking is that he will be grossly over paid those last few years of his contract.

Reactions: Steamer

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Something has to give. Either with Horvat or maybe a Garland trade.

I'm just thinking about the massive EP extension looming.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Wonder if they got a trade package for Horvat that they couldn't pass up but couldn't risk losing both players so they went back to Miller to make sure they got at least one of them signed long-term.

Reactions: B-rock and MarkMM

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
He probably took less than market value, but how do you build a contender with that defense and 0 cap flexibility?

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
It is a good contract, as in less dollar and year than I was expecting, I do think it is the wrong move. I just don't see us being good enough over the value years of this contract. We need so much more.

Contract is okay but…

Basically Canucks in win now mode with a capped out mediocre team and a weak prospect pool.

Not sold on this direction.

Shocked at this, and cautiously optimistic.

Really happy to see he didn't screw us like Gaudreau, it answers the question about whether he was itching to get out of here.

I'm operating on the assumption we're not done yet, if we trade Boeser (my choice), possibly Garland, hopefully Myers and maybe Horvat, suddenly things might free up and this could look like a better balanced and more flexible team, still able to go after a RHD.

Plus, the sign and trade may be in play depending on trade protections, but this does alleviate the risk of us losing him for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad