Prospect Info: Miles Wood

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Our first round draft choices have been pretty poor lately.

Who, Tedenby and Josefson? Why is the analysis limited to the first round? Josefson was a no brainer when he was picked, and if you look at the players taken after him none have been much better. Maybe Marcus Johansson or Kyle Palmieri. That's about it.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Tedenby and Corrente are really the only 1st round busts we've had recently, and Corrente is a stretch considering that was 8 years ago (Jesus time flies by).

Josefson was a good pick, no one could have predicted the injuries and mismanagement that would stagnate him. Larsson was the unanimous right pick. Matteau seems to be developing nicely. We didn't have picks in '07 or '10.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Who, Tedenby and Josefson? Why is the analysis limited to the first round? Josefson was a no brainer when he was picked, and if you look at the players taken after him none have been much better. Maybe Marcus Johansson or Kyle Palmieri. That's about it.

I agree, people need to look at the rankings at the time when the players were drafted. None of the guys other than Corrente were reach picks. There is only so much a scouting team can do when it comes to late picks in the first round.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Thompson pick was imo a very good pick. Kid gets pk time and plays 2nd 3rd line minutes. He's anything but a goon. Yes, he's big, bangs etc. drops the mitts if needed, but has some skill. I'm not calling him Lucic yet, but maybe it'll translate to the pro game.

I understand he's been moved above the energy role he was playing in Kitchener, and he's certainly had success there. But it's simply a fact that 2nd/3rd liners in juniors don't usually make the NHL barring some miraculous jump in development.

I'm not saying Ben Thompson CAN'T have/do that, but I just wouldn't bet on it. Tom Sestito scored 40 goals in his overage year for Plymouth and he was 19-20. Ben Thompson's 21 and just now approaching a ppg pace for the first time ever. I just can't help but be skeptical about guys who don't impress offensively until they're 21 and as big as Thompson and playing against kids. His size/strength advantage won't be as absolute in the pros. I'd still love for him to prove me wrong, I just don't expect it to happen.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I understand he's been moved above the energy role he was playing in Kitchener, and he's certainly had success there. But it's simply a fact that 2nd/3rd liners in juniors don't usually make the NHL barring some miraculous jump in development.

I'm not saying Ben Thompson CAN'T have/do that, but I just wouldn't bet on it. Tom Sestito scored 40 goals in his overage year for Plymouth and he was 19-20. Ben Thompson's 21 and just now approaching a ppg pace for the first time ever. I just can't help but be skeptical about guys who don't impress offensively until they're 21 and as big as Thompson and playing against kids. His size/strength advantage won't be as absolute in the pros. I'd still love for him to prove me wrong, I just don't expect it to happen.

Thomson, no p.

If he brings toughness and some skill with 8 to 10 goals to the 4th line eventually it will be a good pick.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I've begun to question the development more than the actually drafting. Although the drafting was shaky for awhile a couple years back, which is why we are bare in forwards right now.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I've begun to question the development more than the actually drafting. Although the drafting was shaky for awhile a couple years back, which is why we are bare in forwards right now.

Development is definitely questionable when we see what's happened to guys who didn't pick it up right away (for the most part) like Henrique did. I wonder if Lou's aware and that's why he's focused so much on North American players? Guys like Wood probably acclimate to the pro game much more quickly. I feel like the team's biggest failure has been preparing our European prospects for the North American game.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
Development is definitely questionable when we see what's happened to guys who didn't pick it up right away (for the most part) like Henrique did. I wonder if Lou's aware and that's why he's focused so much on North American players? Guys like Wood probably acclimate to the pro game much more quickly. I feel like the team's biggest failure has been preparing our European prospects for the North American game.
It looks like we had a some trouble with the development for a good 4 years between the two clubs.
Youare seeing this with Detroit a little now too. When you are good for so long, it eventually starts to catch up to you. and i think the farm is starting to be developed better again. with the exceptioion of Ted/JJ the farm is getting back on track with the development.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I think Detroit's been fine with their young guys. Tough to adjust without lidstrom and their vets are aging. Their pipeline looks stronger than ours.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think Detroit's been fine with their young guys. Tough to adjust without lidstrom and their vets are aging. Their pipeline looks stronger than ours.

The thing is what are you calling "young guys"?

None of their "young guys" are all that young...Someone like Tater who is 23 and has multiple years in the AHL and in European Pro leagues is an old vet compared to someone like Larsson.

Most of the Detroit "young" players have gone through at least a 3 year cycle of development in the AHL or NCAA.

If we had Tater and he spent 3 years in the AHL here people on this very board would be calling for Lou and DeBoer to fired because "he isn't getting a chance".

This board speaks out of both sides of its mouth when it comes to young players. They'll marvel over how Detroit can produced a Nyquist or Tater but totally ignore it took these guys 4 and 5 years in minor leagues to become contributors...All while proclaiming the Devils are stunting young players growth by not throwing them into the league in a larger role with barely any Pro experience. It is kind of dumb...But I guess it gives us something to talk about?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
The thing is what are you calling "young guys"?

None of their "young guys" are all that young...Someone like Tater who is 23 and has multiple years in the AHL and in European Pro leagues is an old vet compared to someone like Larsson.

Most of the Detroit "young" players have gone through at least a 3 year cycle of development in the AHL or NCAA.

If we had Tater and he spent 3 years in the AHL here people on this very board would be calling for Lou and DeBoer to fired because "he isn't getting a chance".

This board speaks out of both sides of its mouth when it comes to young players. They'll marvel over how Detroit can produced a Nyquist or Tater but totally ignore it took these guys 4 and 5 years in minor leagues to become contributors...All while proclaiming the Devils are stunting young players growth by not throwing them into the league in a larger role with barely any Pro experience. It is kind of dumb...But I guess it gives us something to talk about?

Exactly, I've said this for a while. The prospect arguments are circular. When everyone was clamoring for Larsson to be called up in March, I said that he should continue to develop in Albany. I was told "he has nothing left to learn there, he's too old." Apparently the only option is playing a 21 year-old kid 20+ minutes at the NHL level. I brought up Detroit as an example why Larsson and other young players should play big minutes in Albany. I was given some ******** excuse that Larsson is a 4th overall pick so he should be treated differently than Tatar and Nyquist.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I was OK with Larsson in Albany. It's Larsson or Gelinas with the DNP's in the NHL while Harrold/Volch/Sal are in the lineup that is the issue. Especially when we were officially eliminated from the playoffs.

And JJ of coarse.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
With Wood breaking out and Kujawinski starting to produce, am I the only one dreaming about a 3rd line in a few years of

Wood-Kujawinski-RW bully ?

Maybe our forward prospect depth isn't as bad as we think...

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Aside from Boucher,

Black, Pietila and Coleman intrigue me but none are viewed as scoring forwards.

Bell could be the sleeper forward out of recent drafts.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
With Wood breaking out and Kujawinski starting to produce, am I the only one dreaming about a 3rd line in a few years of

I think Wood will be projected as a top six forward.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

nothing is ever as good or as bad as people here claim...except when it comes to defenseman who 'stink'

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I think Wood will be projected as a top six forward.

Eventually he'll get there but I think he'll start off on the 3rd IF Lou addressed the Top6 deficiencies this offseason. Wood will have time to break in lower in the lineup before a veteran moves out and he's ready to step in. If Lou can trade for 1 top6 wing and sign another FA, the top 2 LW slots will be locked up for 4-5 years.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Eventually he'll get there but I think he'll start off on the 3rd IF Lou addressed the Top6 deficiencies this offseason. Wood will have time to break in lower in the lineup before a veteran moves out and he's ready to step in. If Lou can trade for 1 top6 wing and sign another FA, the top 2 LW slots will be locked up for 4-5 years.

This offseason? I don't think Wood will be ready for 2-3 years after this season, I expect him to play at least two seasons at BC before he signs a pro contract and then he will most likely spend time in Albany.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad