Oct 11, 2017

Attachments

• 21792696-ED96-43A6-8D00-501A606251CB.png
    21792696-ED96-43A6-8D00-501A606251CB.png
    471.3 KB · Views: 1

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Fuk I’m old, I remember every one of these. It classic looking at the old ones and seeing the white boards , no ads.
Good video for younger Oilers fans who were not alive in 80’s and 90’s

Game 3...Round 1... 1997....
My Dad and I were 2 of the people who left early. It was 3-0 Dallas with a little over 3 minutes left.
As we drove down Capilano we heard Rod Philips call the 3-1 and 3-2 goal. I looked at my Dad and said we have turn around. So we get off the Fwy at 106th ave and headed back to Rexall.
Heard Rods amazing call in the car when the Oilers tied the game.
We got back in the building before O/T started.
You could literally feel the electricity in the air walking through Rexall to our seats.
Sat down and watched Buchberger score the winning goal.

What an amazing turn of events. Good times. :)

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Desharnais could literally never get any better than he is now and I think he secured himself a long NHL career, barring injuries of course.

With his size if teams will drool over him for years to come.
Maybe I'm an idiot but like honestly... where the f*** did he come from? All I saw was talk of Nemo, Samo, etc, then this guy just gets called up and punks everyone. I dont even remember him from preseason lmao.

Again, maybe I'm just asleep at the wheel and clearly don't pay attention to Bako enough, or Idk... real hitters really do move in silence? Maybe hes just a member of the black hand.

Reactions: xoczar99ox

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Game 3...Round 1... 1997....
My Dad and I were 2 of the people who left early. It was 3-0 Dallas with a little over 3 minutes left.
As we drove down Capilano we heard Rod Philips call the 3-1 and 3-2 goal. I looked at my Dad and said we have turn around. So we get off the Fwy at 106th ave and headed back to Rexall.
Heard Rods amazing call in the car when the Oilers tied the game.
We got back in the building before O/T started.
You could literally feel the electricity in the air walking through Rexall to our seats.
Sat down and watched Buchberger score the winning goal.

What an amazing turn of events. Good times. :)
I was living in Vancouver in 90’s..

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Fuk I’m old, I remember every one of these. It classic looking at the old ones and seeing the white boards , no ads.

No wonder Hrudey hates the Oilers :laugh:.

Alot of those goalies looked like they were playing net in road hockey. No way would half of those find their way into the net these days.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
It really is a shame that Katz wasn't there in the 80s to fund the team.

To be honest, and maybe this is a very basic way to look at it, but I think they could've kept Gretzky and Messier if the owner wasn't bleeding money in other businesses. Surely with Wayne Gretzky the Oilers would've remained the hottest ticket in Canada.

Lets just say the average ticket price circa 1989 for the Oilers was $30 a pop ... at $30 x 17,000 (capacity of Northlands Coliseum) that works out to 510,000 per game and just shy of $21 million for 41 home games. Lets even assume Northlands gets all concession/beer sales.

Add in playoff revenue too, that's probably another $5-$8 million.

Then I think you'd have to factor in merchandise sales, sales from TV rights (CBC, ITV, TSN?), sponsorships ... I mean surely that nets an extra $4-$5 million per year? Have no idea if that's out to lunch or not.

Gretzky's salary in 90-91 at the heyday of the LA Kings experiment was $3 million I believe. Lets say you give Messier $2 million and Kurri $1.8 million ... it still should be enough to have covered their salaries. Of course everyone else would make a good deal less (like $1 mill for Anderson, $1 mill for Fuhr, 500k for Lowe, etc.).

I actually looked up Messier's salary he was only paid $236k (lol) for the 89-90 season where he took the Oilers to the Cup. Even in New York his salary was "only" $2.35 million when they won the Cup in 1994 ... it really doesn't jump into big boy range until 1995-96 when he got 6 million.

Am I way off base here?

I don't think you're totally off base. One factor I think you're missing though is the currency thing. Oilers are paid in CAD but have to pay in USD. With the volatility of CAD at the time quarter over quarter sometimes you'd just absolutely lose your shorts.

It's not a coincidence the Jets and Nordiques moved basically at the same time, and in that same time frame there were talks of the oilers, the sens, and the flames moving too.

But in general too, costs were going up incredibly high each season with 10+ guys getting new record contracts every off-season. To the point where before the salary cap, teams like Detroit and Toronto were paying their teams like $100 million while teams like the oilers and flames were paying less than $20 million.

It's a bit different now that gates aren't the biggest revenue source, and the gate price here in Edmonton is higher. But in the 90s it was a rough go.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
So you're a coast to coast kinda guy.
Growing up in NS, u had to move around to find work. Wasn’t any here in my day outta school. Alberta is full of people from Atlantic Canada. Did u ever see the Newfie bars in Ft Mac?
Lots of work around Halifax now. Naval contract assures that

Reactions: Alienblood

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton

The Todd Marchant goal is so iconic for me. I was supposed to be asleep (I think I was 11 at the time) and I had my clock radio under my pillow with the volume just loud enough to hear the broadcast.

When Marchant scored I flew out of my room to the living room where my parents were watching TV (not the game) and screamed that I needed to see the goal that the oilers just scored. My parents just had this blank stare and my dad changed the channel so I could see the post game.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The time Joseph single handedly robbed the Avs of a first round series win was amazing too.
I attended the Game 6 where the Oilers shutout the Avs 2-0. The building was rocking from start to finish. I agree that Joseph played great that series; out-dueled Patrick Roy in his prime. But the Oilers team beat the Avs:
- Billy "The Butcher" Guerin was in Forsberg's grill all series and scored 6 goals
- The Oilers 3rd line forechecked like crazy, including Grier negating an icing that turned around Game 5 and spurred the Oilers comeback from being down 1-3 in the series
-Weight had 7 assists
-Mironov ate up 20+ minutes and scored key goals all series

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I attended the Game 6 where the Oilers shutout the Avs 2-0. The building was rocking from start to finish. I agree that Joseph played great that series; out-dueled Patrick Roy in his prime. But the Oilers team beat the Avs:
- Billy "The Butcher" Guerin was in Forsberg's grill all series and scored 6 goals
- The Oilers 3rd line forechecked like crazy, including Grier negating an icing that turned around Game 5 and spurred the Oilers comeback from being down 1-3 in the series
-Weight had 7 assists
I remember they beat the hell out of Forsberg in that series.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
The Todd Marchant goal is so iconic for me. I was supposed to be asleep (I think I was 11 at the time) and I had my clock radio under my pillow with the volume just loud enough to hear the broadcast.

When Marchant scored I flew out of my room to the living room where my parents were watching TV (not the game) and screamed that I needed to see the goal that the oilers just scored. My parents just had this blank stare and my dad changed the channel so I could see the post game.
When Oilers were in playoffs , it 2017, games were puck drop in these parts at 1140 PM. One night it went to double OT and I finished watching at 445 AM. Out the door at 6 AM for work.
Man I need to win lotto so I can sleep in. Better yet, go watch the games in person

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Growing up in NS, u had to move around to find work. Wasn’t any here in my day outta school. Alberta is full of people from Atlantic Canada. Did u ever see the Newfie bars in Ft Mac?
Lots of work around Halifax now. Naval contract assures that
To answer you from a previous post ....

Graves Murphy Buchberger ?

Fellow Nova Scotian here

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
To answer you from a previous post ....

Graves Murphy Buchberger ?

Fellow Nova Scotian here
Good man, where about?

Got a dumb question
Avs get 2 more wins, they have 51
We get 1 more, we get 50
Both tied at 109
How do we win West?
Assuming Vegas loses in regulation

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That game where they erased a 3-0 lead, I think, and then won in OT, and people left and tried to get back in lol.

I remember I used to watch 90s Oilers games in my bedroom most of the time with over the air CBC since it didn't have a cable connection, so it was fuzzy clip, yeah that Dallas game was crazy because I remember thinking "what if they could tie this some how wouldn't that be crazy" ... and then it some how happens, lol. That and playing Super Mario Bros. 3 all day on that TV.

man I didn't know goalies were still so bad in 97. What the f*** is that goaltending. McDavid would feast on that era

Andy Moog man ... more holes in his net than a slice of swiss cheese. Klima in 90 is an iconic moment but man that was a horrendous goal to give up if you really look at it, lol.

People who honestly don't think McDavid would shred the NHL of 80s and 90s are smoking crack. He would destroy that era's goalies and D in particular, both positions have come light years since that time. And I say that as someone who loves 80s/90s hockey, I prefer that era to today frankly, but still.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
-Weight had 7 assists
Definitely a team effort...my post had a hidden joke to it.:D

Up 3-0, mid-point of game 7 when this save is made. I think Colorado knew they were f***ed after that.

Reactions: Frank the Tank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad