News Article: Milbury doesn't see Bruins getting out of first round

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
And I see them getting out of first round. And even more.

With Rask and Bergeron leading the way, we'll always have a chance. Even now we are flirting with a 100pts season playing sub-par and injured for most of the season.

This is a battled tested group with a new wave of fresh air and speed with Spoon+Pasta and there is Connolly waiting on IR to make a first impression of what he can become.

With Krejci getting back, and the team making a little push of late, I wouldn't be the winner of the Atlantic or Metro will get as reward in round 1. And that is if we don't grab 3rd in Atlantic...

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Everyone was so down on this team 2 weeks ago and wanted to sell the farm. Win a few games and Milbury says we aren't likely to get out of the first round (which is reasonable people) and you guys go crazy.

Saying such things as "everyone was so down in this team" is in the same vein as what Milbury is saying - it's speaking in absolutes.

Maybe it's because I've followed sports for more than a couple of decades, but there is only one thing I'm certain of: there are no absolutes. There is no sure thing. I'd there was, they wouldn't bother to play the games.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
And I see them getting out of first round. And even more.

With Rask and Bergeron leading the way, we'll always have a chance. Even now we are flirting with a 100pts season playing sub-par and injured for most of the season.

This is a battled tested group with a new wave of fresh air and speed with Spoon+Pasta and there is Connolly waiting on IR to make a first impression of what he can become.

With Krejci getting back, and the team making a little push of late, I wouldn't be the winner of the Atlantic or Metro will get as reward in round 1. And that is if we don't grab 3rd in Atlantic...

I was pretty down on this team's chances not too long ago but the play of Pasta,Spooner and Rask lately has given me hope that we can compete with the best team's in the East.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I was pretty down on this team's chances not too long ago but the play of Pasta,Spooner and Rask lately has given me hope that we can compete with the best team's in the East.

Seriously, what team has the C depth to compete against a Bergy-Krejci-Yeti-Spooner C line?

The you have Rask holding that last part of center back there.

The Bruins will be very tough to beat. They always are. Only one team was able to beat them in less than 7 games since Julien is here and it took a monumental collapse in Game 6 against Chicago in the Finals.

This team will be ready. That's a proud veteran battled tested group. They will deliver. They want to redeem themselves from last year.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
2010: Crappy ending against Phily
2011: Cup
2012: Crappy loss in round 1 after winning the conference
2013: SCF loss
2014: Crappy loss to a team we should have esily beaten in round 2 after winning President trophy
2015: I see a trend... This is a proud team. They rebound. And I expect them too this year too.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Seriously, what team has the C depth to compete against a Bergy-Krejci-Yeti-Spooner C line?

The you have Rask holding that last part of center back there.

The Bruins will be very tough to beat. They always are. Only one team was able to beat them in less than 7 games since Julien is here and it took a monumental collapse in Game 6 against Chicago in the Finals.

This team will be ready. That's a proud veteran battled tested group. They will deliver. They want to redeem themselves from last year.

We need to keep the kid line together and hope Krejci can find magic with the Swedes.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I don't like Milbury, not at all. Still, i'm not sure why our beautiful people in here are slamming him for a very likely scenario. To say that the Bruins are not contender is stating the obvious. I pretty agree with him and unless Tuukka deliver an out-of-this-world performance, the Bruins will lose, indeed, in the 1st round. Does it mean that we're cheering to see them lose? Nope. I'd rather see my Bruins kicking out a top seed then go home but we have to admit that our team is not what they used to be. That is all.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Two weeks ago everyone here said the same thing.

Save the I didn'ts unless you are sure you covered your tracks.

Last edited:

Cougar Saucy

Dec 2, 2013
2010: Crappy ending against Phily
2011: Cup
2012: Crappy loss in round 1 after winning the conference
2013: SCF loss
2014: Crappy loss to a team we should have esily beaten in round 2 after winning President trophy
2015: I see a trend... This is a proud team. They rebound. And I expect them too this year too.

President's Trophy doesn't mean a thing and I see it as a bad thing to be proud of

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
President's Trophy doesn't mean a thing and I see it as a bad thing to be proud of

does it mean a thing? Other than showing that during the regular season they compiled the most points no

should any team feel shame they won it....um, nope

it was a great regular season accomplishment and really, that`s all the trophy symbolizes

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
does it mean a thing? Other than showing that during the regular season they compiled the most points no

it was a great regular season accomplishment and really, that`s all the trophy symbolizes

This. It's a fine achievement award. Not meant to be the be-all-end-all. No reason not to feel some pride in the accomplishment.

Cougar Saucy

Dec 2, 2013

I'm not knocking it for the symbol that it is and I respect the teams that win the trophy. Nothing is accomplished by being the best team in the regular season and the bar is set so high for that team to do extremely well in the playoffs. And they usually don't with only 8 teams winning the SC.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Are the Bruins favorites? Of course not.

Can they win a series? I don't see why not.

This team has some very good hockey players that have under preformed all season long, all it takes is them getting it all together at the right time. There is enough talent on this team to beat any team, as unlikely as it would seem.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bruins have been a Jekyll and Hyde team all season but for the last 3 weeks we have seen the 'good' Bruins for the most part. The LA Kings have proven that the most important thing is to make the playoffs and then go from there.

As long as they don't revert to the team we saw the last 3 weeks of February they should be OK. Nobody ( except Montreal ) will want to play us in the first round.

This may well come down to the final game of the season with Tampa as both teams will be looking to see who they play next.

chicoutimicucumber

Aug 4, 2009
Exactly.

If anyone picks the Bruins to win over any of the higher seeds I would wonder what they've been smoking. This doesn't mean the Bruins can't win or steal a round or two but the odds are going to be in favor of the opposition.

If the Bruins make the playoffs I won't be heartbroken if they get creamed in the first or second round-this team has some huge holes, but there is a reason they play the games and sometimes an underdog matches up well against the opposition or they have a goalie go on a hot run, or a few forwards to on a scoring streak. Anything can happen but I bet if we checked the odds in Vegas the Bruins are a very long shot to move out of the first round.

If they don't get over those one period per game breakdowns, then obviously yeah.

Tuukka would need to stand on his head. Lines need to keep clicking as we roll them, which means Soderberg and Smith need to snap out of it to stop dragging theirs down. Claude needs to figure out a way to utilize Campbell and Paille without having them actively hurt the team. Defense needs to communicate better and make better decisions with the puck.
And for God's sake, stay healthy.

I'd be resigned, I think, at a quick exit (if we make it in--gotta cover my tracks for now). Or try to be, at least. I'd still be heartbroken though. Can't help that.
Mostly, I just want to feel proud of this team. However far their abilities take them this year.

Last edited:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
If the Bruins draw Montreal in the first round, I think it will be a very quick and painful exit for Boston. In that respect, Mike's right.

Now... if the Bruins draw any other matchup, I think they have as good a shot of advancing as anyone else. I know that sentiment has been stated on this thread numerous times, but I really think that's how it's going to be.

If the Bruins can advance and someone else knocks off Montreal (hello, Senators?); maybe they can go a round or two before the lack of talent and catches up with them.

Someone once said; "that's why they play the games".

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This. It's a fine achievement award. Not meant to be the be-all-end-all. No reason not to feel some pride in the accomplishment.

and if I recall correctly, when players asked about it as they were about to embark on what we hoped/thought was going to be another nice long run, to a man, not one of them left me with the impression that they felt it was easy sailing after the P Trophy win

I want Montreal in round one, want em bad....no better playoff matchup for a Bruin fan regardless of whatever happens in a series, still a "must see" series

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Didn't Milbury pick the Bruins to lose in the first round in 2011 too?

I love watching Milbury the way people like watching car accidents. :laugh:

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Well a stopped clock is right twice a day....

Said that to one of my daughters this week - but because of digital screens (she's 9) she had no idea what I was talking about and as I went through the pain of explaining I felt strangely sad and vowed to buy a proper clock.
Until then - I'm going back to saying 'even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad