News Article: Milbury doesn't see Bruins getting out of first round

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Such a dumb thing to say when a team has the Vezina winner in net. A hot goalie can steal a series victory by himself.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I'm glad some guys agreed with Milbury. We're in 8th place for a reason, our D is not great. Tuuka could probably steal a round and we could get some great chemistry at the right time but it's not something I think anybody should bet the house on.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I guess he has a soft spot for the Isles and I don't blame him he should feel the same way about them that Esposito feels for the Bolts.

Only a fool crowns Montreal or NYI champs and Pitt have underacheived in the post season quite a few years running. We have a good chance to win it all or reach the finals.

Our team right now is a better version of the 2010 team which should have squeaked into the finals and gotten blown out by Chicago. D is weakness and Chara is over but look at the rest of the team. Krug over Hunwick? Hamilton vs Wideman? Seids vs Ward?

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Good. This team thrives being the underdog. We need more media members throwing this team under the bus.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
Good. This team thrives being the underdog. We need more media members throwing this team under the bus.

Precisely. Pure motivational fodder. I'll take it all day long. Sure the players are professionals but this stuff sends a clear message. You are not good enough and the world knows it. Now what is a Champions response?!!!!!

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
The Bruins tend to do better when they are the underdog. I'll take the words of doubt any day over the President trophy champion underachievers.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
That's because he wants clode canned so he can get the job

Maybe he's neither seeking to become the next Don Cherry nor Claude Julien's job.

Maybe he just doesn't think they're good enough to make it out of the first round. A month ago I would have agreed, and I'm still not sure. The guy was a good coach & a terrible GM. These days he's paid to express his opinion. No problem with this.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I am confident the goalie will play well even against Montreal and the forwards will be good- but can the defense move the puck? transition and team speed are the issues in a track meet

Rangers have a very good defense, Boston matches up well in net and forward- Rangers

Habs- Price and Tuukka play equal I'll take Boston- Habs are overrated but Price isnt- Habs but not feeling that confident

Tampa- team speed may be to much for Boston- like the Bolts here but again, Rask can outplay Bishop more times than not- Tampa

Detroit- like Boston here

Islanders- like Boston here

Capitals- like Boston

Pittsburgh- toss up

faster the team, better the defense the worse it is for Boston

If we outshoot Montreal by 50+ shots again,we'll beat them in 7.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Let's be real here. We're going to be playing the Habs, Lightning, Islanders, or Rangers. They're all fast teams. We have huge holes in our defense and our offense is streaky. underdog.

We're the underdog... I bet almost no hockey "experts" will put us anywhere further than the 1st round and for a good reason, probably. Up to the Bruins to prove them wrong because this game isn't played on paper. "Experts" get paid to say what's going to happen on paper. And yeah, on paper, we're out in the first round.

Myself, I'm not really afraid of any matchup. Any of 'em are going to be tough but for every reason why Team X will knock us out, I'll give you a reason why we can knock them out. No team wants to face us in the 1st round. Underachieving team with injuries all season long, getting hot and healthy late in the season screams upset.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Not a huge Milbury fan. He is the guy who traded Chara and threw a shoe at a fan.

I think the Bruins will have a hard time in the playoffs and they certainly have weaknesses but there is a reason they don't crown the Cup winner without playing the games. You just never know.

I think the Bruins can win a round or two but I also think they just as easily could have a quick exit.

I will say that if I'm the #1 or #2 seed I wouldn't be thrilled to draw the Bruins as my first round opponent-mostly because we have a goalie who can steal a round or two and Bergeron is a beast. Chara is losing his edge but he still has that big stick and Krejci should hopefully return.

Weaknesses are Julien's binky line and of course our defense.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I guess he has a soft spot for the Isles and I don't blame him he should feel the same way about them that Esposito feels for the Bolts.

Only a fool crowns Montreal or NYI champs and Pitt have underacheived in the post season quite a few years running. We have a good chance to win it all or reach the finals.

Our team right now is a better version of the 2010 team which should have squeaked into the finals and gotten blown out by Chicago. D is weakness and Chara is over but look at the rest of the team. Krug over Hunwick? Hamilton vs Wideman? Seids vs Ward?

And don't forget the forwards.

When they lost 4 straight to the Flyers our center's were decimated-and we had a very old Satan on the first line.

And I can get rooting for the Islanders.

Pretty sure if/when Bruins are done if the Islanders (or by some major effort Ottawa gets in) and Ottawa are still in it, I'm rooting for them. If neither is still in then it's anybody but the Habs all the way.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Maybe he's neither seeking to become the next Don Cherry nor Claude Julien's job.

Maybe he just doesn't think they're good enough to make it out of the first round. A month ago I would have agreed, and I'm still not sure. The guy was a good coach & a terrible GM. These days he's paid to express his opinion. No problem with this.

Same here.

Im not totally sold on this team either.

But as far as Milbury expressing his opinion, much ado about nothing for me.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
Just because it comes from a meathead doesn't mean it's not true.....

Many here have said the same thing.....that's what being an underdog is. Doesn't mean it wont happen. I don't know why people celebrate being the underdogs and then get huffy when someone doesn't expect them to win against a team like the Habs whose record against us is ridiculous or the Rangers whose roster depth kills ours.......

Our winning streaks coincide when Rask puts up elite goaltending and that's what it will come down to with this roster..... defense is a mess and offense hasn't been reliable. It's a very real possibility we don't make it out of the first round when you don't base your predictions on hope and love for the team........

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Everyone was so down on this team 2 weeks ago and wanted to sell the farm. Win a few games and Milbury says we aren't likely to get out of the first round (which is reasonable people) and you guys go crazy.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Just because it comes from a meathead doesn't mean it's not true.....

Many here have said the same thing.....that's what being an underdog is. Doesn't mean it wont happen. I don't know why people celebrate being the underdogs and then get huffy when someone doesn't expect them to win against a team like the Habs whose record against us is ridiculous or the Rangers whose roster depth kills ours.......

Our winning streaks coincide when Rask puts up elite goaltending and that's what it will come down to with this roster..... defense is a mess and offense hasn't been reliable. It's a very real possibility we don't make it out of the first round when you don't base your predictions on hope and love for the team........

Exactly.

If anyone picks the Bruins to win over any of the higher seeds I would wonder what they've been smoking. This doesn't mean the Bruins can't win or steal a round or two but the odds are going to be in favor of the opposition.

If the Bruins make the playoffs I won't be heartbroken if they get creamed in the first or second round-this team has some huge holes, but there is a reason they play the games and sometimes an underdog matches up well against the opposition or they have a goalie go on a hot run, or a few forwards to on a scoring streak. Anything can happen but I bet if we checked the odds in Vegas the Bruins are a very long shot to move out of the first round.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
so....essentially what 85-90% of the posters say here:sarcasm:

Was about to post the same thought. All he did is give an opinion, he's entitled.

The fact that he is simply saying what so many posters here have said just makes the reaction comical.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
And I see them getting out of first round. And even more.

With Rask and Bergeron leading the way, we'll always have a chance. Even now we are flirting with a 100pts season playing sub-par and injured for most of the season.

This is a battled tested group with a new wave of fresh air and speed with Spoon+Pasta and there is Connolly waiting on IR to make a first impression of what he can become.

With Krejci getting back, and the team making a little push of late, I wouldn't be the winner of the Atlantic or Metro will get as reward in round 1. And that is we don't grab 3rd in Atlantic...

Cougar Saucy

Dec 2, 2013
Let's be real here. We're going to be playing the Habs, Lightning, Islanders, or Rangers. They're all fast teams. We have huge holes in our defense and our offense is streaky. underdog.

We're the underdog... I bet almost no hockey "experts" will put us anywhere further than the 1st round and for a good reason, probably. Up to the Bruins to prove them wrong because this game isn't played on paper. "Experts" get paid to say what's going to happen on paper. And yeah, on paper, we're out in the first round.

Myself, I'm not really afraid of any matchup. Any of 'em are going to be tough but for every reason why Team X will knock us out, I'll give you a reason why we can knock them out. No team wants to face us in the 1st round. Underachieving team with injuries all season long, getting hot and healthy late in the season screams upset.

2011 Barry Melrose Predictions
Montreal to beat Boston
Philly to beat Boston
Tampa to beat Boston
Canucks to beat Boston

I know it's Barry and he's even more clueless than Milbury (can easily be debated I guess), but that's what I think of immediately when someone says "underdog" and the Bruins in the same sentence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad