News Article: Milbury doesn't see Bruins getting out of first round

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
And poor Espo would love us to hate him but we just cant. :naughty:

I can't fault Espo for loving the Lightning more than the Bruins as they are his creation.

Why Milbury is hated is a mystery of sorts as he gave his all when a Bruin.

Milbury only left to become the coach at BC which offered him a chance to provide free college to his children but ran away from BC when he saw things were amiss with the way scholarships were being handled.

RaybCamn

Oct 16, 2010
My only problem with this whole thing is I already knew this. This team is not very good.

We need the Chara we had a couple years ago.
DK will be coming back but will take time to get into game shape. It will to late. His last year playoff performence was awful.
Out most skilled players. Spooner, Pasta and Connely, have no exp in playoffs and one is hurt.
McQuaid is very avg D, Seids outright stinks, Krug is not very good in his own end. Bart cannot hit the net. A old lady in a walker could outskate Chara.

Campbell is overdone, Kelly still plays a steady games but he will not be a game decider. Yeti is seriously have problems. Lucic is worse on d than Erick Karlsson.

So that leaves the Bergeron and Rask, this is what we are relaying on. It is not enough. Rask can steal a series, but so cant the other goal tenders and they all have better d than we do.

Rask would have to be better than Timmy T was during out Cup run I do not think such thing is possible.

OutspokenMinority*

My only problem with this whole thing is I already knew this. This team is not very good.

We need the Chara we had a couple years ago.
DK will be coming back but will take time to get into game shape. It will to late. His last year playoff performence was awful.
Out most skilled players. Spooner, Pasta and Connely, have no exp in playoffs and one is hurt.
McQuaid is very avg D, Seids outright stinks, Krug is not very good in his own end. Bart cannot hit the net. A old lady in a walker could outskate Chara.

Campbell is overdone, Kelly still plays a steady games but he will not be a game decider. Yeti is seriously have problems. Lucic is worse on d than Erick Karlsson.

So that leaves the Bergeron and Rask, this is what we are relaying on. It is not enough. Rask can steal a series, but so cant the other goal tenders and they all have better d than we do.

Rask would have to be better than Timmy T was during out Cup run I do not think such thing is possible.

i probably agree with everything here, but the great thing is you never know. they could also gel and get on a roll, get a few bounces and surprise everybody. really looking forward to finding out.

and i think the Rask we are seeing now could compare with just about anyone ever.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Who thought that Boston would lose to MTL last year? Who thought that LA was contender b3 months before their cup's year championship? Who believed that Rangers would be in the SC final last year? For the older ones: who could have believed NJ would kick Detroit in the mid 90's 4-0 in the SCF.

Milbury can say whatever he wants... fact is: nobody knows and it especially true in 2015 cause NHL is so muck tighter (parity) than it never been.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Is there any other former Bruin more hated on this board than Milbury?

I don't hate him. I like Mike. Enjoyed him as a coach. He jilted Harry, too, which was hilarious.

I think he says many of the things he does because he actually believes them. Like finally calling for an end to fighting because while head shots are far worse, someone pounding their fist into your head can't be terribly good for the noggin, either.

Does he throw a dash of mustard on his observations to stir the pot & gain attention? Of course. Again, that's his job these days.

PS Kaptain managed to break free of O’Reilly but was corralled several rows up by McNab and Milbury, who pinned him across a seat.

“I grabbed his shoe, took a little tug on it, and then sort of double pumped,” Milbury said. “I don’t know if I hesitated for a minute because I thought I’d be vilified for the next 30 years, but I gave him a cuff across the leg, and then I did what I thought was probably the most egregious thing of all: I threw his shoe on the ice.”

Eighteen Bruins went into the stands. Milbury said, “If you watch the tape — and I can freely throw my teammates under the bus now after 30 years — people were throwing some serious shots down below us that were obscured by the fact that everybody was focusing on the idiot highest up in the stands hitting somebody with a shoe.”

Bruins fans, in particular, still relish the incident. E. M. Swift, who covered hockey for Sports Illustrated, played in a college game in 1972 when one of his Princeton teammates was beaten with a “stale Italian sub” by the Colgate athletic director while he grappled with Milbury. “We hate everything New York here in Boston,” he said, “so the fact that it was the Rangers and New Yorkers getting beaten with a shoe, those guys are folk heroes up here.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/23/sports/hockey/23brawl.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Last edited:

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Mad Mike says we lose in the first round. That means we going at least to the third round. :laugh:

Milbury doesn't see Bruins getting out of first round

Well honestly, I don't disagree. We have a lot of issues to iron out defensively. And offensively we are going to have to reintegrate Krejci when he comes back.

However this club has been making major strides as far as coming together. I'm just not confident at all that we get by the Habs if that's who we are playing in the first round.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Who thought that Boston would lose to MTL last year? Who thought that LA was contender b3 months before their cup's year championship? Who believed that Rangers would be in the SC final last year? For the older ones: who could have believed NJ would kick Detroit in the mid 90's 4-0 in the SCF.

Milbury can say whatever he wants... fact is: nobody knows and it especially true in 2015 cause NHL is so muck tighter (parity) than it never been.

Pretty sure last season there was an article about he Kings maybe missing the playoffs and probably having an early exit.

Anything can happen-but I will say the Kings defense last season didn't seem to have the holes ours does this season.

Good news is at least our defense kids have a couple of playoff seasons under their belts.

chicoutimicucumber

Aug 4, 2009
PS Kaptain managed to break free of O’Reilly but was corralled several rows up by McNab and Milbury, who pinned him across a seat.

“I grabbed his shoe, took a little tug on it, and then sort of double pumped,” Milbury said. “I don’t know if I hesitated for a minute because I thought I’d be vilified for the next 30 years, but I gave him a cuff across the leg, and then I did what I thought was probably the most egregious thing of all: I threw his shoe on the ice.”

Eighteen Bruins went into the stands. Milbury said, “If you watch the tape — and I can freely throw my teammates under the bus now after 30 years — people were throwing some serious shots down below us that were obscured by the fact that everybody was focusing on the idiot highest up in the stands hitting somebody with a shoe.”

Bruins fans, in particular, still relish the incident. E. M. Swift, who covered hockey for Sports Illustrated, played in a college game in 1972 when one of his Princeton teammates was beaten with a “stale Italian sub” by the Colgate athletic director while he grappled with Milbury. “We hate everything New York here in Boston,” he said, “so the fact that it was the Rangers and New Yorkers getting beaten with a shoe, those guys are folk heroes up here.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/23/sports/hockey/23brawl.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Ahahahaha, thanks for sharing that. My contributions, from Open Net:

When Debbie next looked at the television set, she saw an astonishing sight—her husband, Mike, far up in the stands assailing, along with Peter McNab, a massive fan who at one point launched at kick at her husband. “It’s funny,” she told me, “how even in fights you see personality traits that are distinctly your husband’s.” She saw Mike remove the fan’s shoe and clobber him with it a few times. “Then I saw him take the guy’s shoe, look at it, and I thought, ‘Oh my God, what he’s going to do is sling that shoe out onto the ice and let the guy walk home in his socks!’ That’s exactly what happened! What was interesting to me was seeing a personality trait in public that was so typical of him. I mean I just knew he was going to scale that shoe out there.

And from the man himself:
Oh yes. It happened on December 23, just before Christmas when Cheesie stoned Espo, and we’d won the game. I was as happy as a clam. It’s in your best interests in New York to get off the ice as soon as you can. In fact, being near the exit gate, I was the first Bruins player into the dressing room. Next came Cheesie, sweating—because, as you know he was never in the best of condition—the steam pouring off him like a locomotive. He sat down with a big puff. But he was the last one in the locker room. No one else came in. I said, ‘Cheesie, what’s going on out there?’ He said, ‘I don’t know. Something. But I’m not going back out.'

… I jogged on down the runway to see what was going on, and there at rinkside I found a lot of pushing and shoving going on and some of our guys up in the stands. Peter McNab was way up, maybe eight or nine rows. I found out later what had happened—that Al Secord had a problem with John Davidson; the battle had drifted over by the stands where a fan, a couple of brothers actually, had taken a whack at Stan Jonathan. In the course of things the fan had grabbed his stick. That sent a swarm of Bruins into the stands, headed by Terry O’Reilly, to get those responsible. McNab caught the guy who’d gotten the furthest away, a really massive guy. I had no idea at all what was going on, but I went up there to help. Peter had this guy pretty much under control, down across the seats, but he took a kick at me, as Debbie described, and that was when I wrenched this big shoe off his foot—a huge cheap penny loafer—and I whacked him with it a few times. It felt good to the touch. Whippy. Then I scaled it out over the ice. What I’d done looked awful in the films…much worse than it really was. They called me in to see it. ‘Despicable. Just despicable!’ the president of the NHL kept saying. The Bruins down in the lower seats who were really flailing away with their fists, just slugging it out, got fined $500. I got suspended for a few games. Maybe because it was because the shoe was so big. It looked like I was hitting him with a big club.

:biglaugh: If only they had ‘Behind the B’ or better yet ‘24/7’ in those days.

Last edited:

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Pretty sure last season there was an article about he Kings maybe missing the playoffs and probably having an early exit.

Anything can happen-but I will say the Kings defense last season didn't seem to have the holes ours does this season.

Good news is at least our defense kids have a couple of playoff seasons under their belts.

----------
I agree.

Even if this year D is a bit thinner than last year, last year D Core had some holes without Seidenberg. We are missing a top 4 reducing gap between old and kids. LA Kings are stronger on D also in my pov. But again, if the Bruins 2015 D core plays over there head, anything can happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad