Confirmed with Link: Milano recalled

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Disappointed no one brought up Darryl Boyce.

Glad to see Milano added. I'm not sure if he'll seize the opportunity like Bjork did, but his speed and skill will be a welcome addition.

I don't know what's going on with Saad. It grinds my gears to watch him continuously enter the zone then peel back and try to pass it while standing still. Cam does this too, so it's a systemic thing I guess, but I don't like it.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't know what's going on with Saad. It grinds my gears to watch him continuously enter the zone then peel back and try to pass it while standing still. Cam does this too, so it's a systemic thing I guess, but I don't like it.

Peeling back is the best bet if no one is entering the zone with them. That's the issue - not getting those three and four man rushes.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Disappointed no one brought up Darryl Boyce.

Glad to see Milano added. I'm not sure if he'll seize the opportunity like Bjork did, but his speed and skill will be a welcome addition.

I'll do you 1 better. Tomi Kallio.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Peeling back is the best bet if no one is entering the zone with them. That's the issue - not getting those three and four man rushes.

That has been a Jacket trait for years. Guys heading into the zone and then having to dump it because no one is there with them.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
That has been a Jacket trait for years. Guys heading into the zone and then having to dump it because no one is there with them.

Is it a function of system, or is it a function of too much focus on keeping shifts short? Or something else?

I get frustrated with the one-man forecheck, which I think I see all too often from us. But I realize, when watching on TV, I am going nuts about where the rest of the support is. However, when I'm at NWA, I see we are making a change, and the one man forechecking is there mostly to slow things down just enough to get a good change, not so much to force a turnover. Just seems we were forechecking in waves early in the year, and more of the constant line change the last 2 months. Maybe it's my imagination. :help:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Is it a function of system, or is it a function of too much focus on keeping shifts short? Or something else?

I get frustrated with the one-man forecheck, which I think I see all too often from us. But I realize, when watching on TV, I am going nuts about where the rest of the support is. However, when I'm at NWA, I see we are making a change, and the one man forechecking is there mostly to slow things down just enough to get a good change, not so much to force a turnover. Just seems we were forechecking in waves early in the year, and more of the constant line change the last 2 months. Maybe it's my imagination. :help:

If it's your imagination, then it's mine, too. The forecheck seems to be content delaying instead of preventing the breakout pass/carry. Not sure if there's been a purposeful shift or if my recollection is broken.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Yep the one man forecheck is perplexing.. but as mentioned it is typically calvert or cam putting the press on to allow for a change.

I cannot wait to see Sonny Milano come up and contribute. I have been reading from everyone what a disappointment this kid is and realizing that he is all of about 21 years old I hope he comes up and shoves the puck in someones arse.. then stick handles it out for a back handed goal.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
your correct D&S.. it isn't my place to say anything. Let the players figure it out. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it

Hey, no worries. I understood where you were going with it, but it's also hard for us to know what it's like being in their shoes, errrr, skates. We've just got to trust the players and coaches that they'll figure it out here soon. I think we're all just yearning to see the 16-game-win-streak Jackets reappear.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
If it's your imagination, then it's mine, too. The forecheck seems to be content delaying instead of preventing the breakout pass/carry. Not sure if there's been a purposeful shift or if my recollection is broken.

I think the biggest issue with this is it's taking us 30-40 seconds to clear our defensive zone, and we need to change rather than carry the puck in, or dump and aggressively forecheck. My memory is that when we were playing well, we were getting the puck out the first time, passing it to tape, rather than missing a pass or throwing it up the boards and hoping it found the right player.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Hey, no worries. I understood where you were going with it, but it's also hard for us to know what it's like being in their shoes, errrr, skates. We've just got to trust the players and coaches that they'll figure it out here soon. I think we're all just yearning to see the 16-game-win-streak Jackets reappear.

Yearning for 4 out of every 7 starting April 12 or so.
And a win tonight!

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think the biggest issue with this is it's taking us 30-40 seconds to clear our defensive zone, and we need to change rather than carry the puck in, or dump and aggressively forecheck. My memory is that when we were playing well, we were getting the puck out the first time, passing it to tape, rather than missing a pass or throwing it up the boards and hoping it found the right player.

This. The reason we have a one man forcheck is because we have to change when its time to attack, so instead of giving the puck over abs giving them 3/4 of the ice to do whatever one man dumps and chases to apply pressure and allow the other 3-4 players to change.

We need to tighten up defensively and crispen our passes to make for a more efficient forcheck. Also we need Jones and Werenski to join the rush or lead the forcheck occasionally as it forces the opposition to defend differently. Just doing it a few times will make them adjust and respect it when those 2 are out there.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Good call.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I don't think the zone time has been that one sided. The team D doesn't look bad to me. It's all the forwards.

My guess is that the forwards are in a sort of collective slump - they're not supporting each other and they're dragging each other down. So we end up with a lot of one man efforts.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I thought Milano looked incredibly average last night, not very good passes or stick handling from him. I will give him credit for one very good pass from behind the net to jack Johnson that did not connect though.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I thought Milano looked incredibly average last night, not very good passes or stick handling from him. I will give him credit for one very good pass from behind the net to jack Johnson that did not connect though.

I call that a win given how anemic this offense looks.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Disagree about Sonny. He was fighting near teh net the whole game. He looked good with Anderson and Jenner.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I thought he looked pretty good out there. Hope he gets another chance. Nobody on the team is an offensive threat currently, so let him have his shot.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I thought he looked alright overall in a positive sense.. I seen him fall down a couple times (probably strength related). But, he had some nice speed, made a couple good reads on passes to make that just failed to connect, and would go to the front of the net. He wasn't overly impressive/but better than Korpikoski.

I hate taking away Milano from Cleveland as they are fighting for the last playoff spot, but.. I'd give him another game or two with Boone and Anderson to see if he has anything more to offer.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but I'm genuinely shocked to see him sent down today. I figured he would get a longer look.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Likely a reward for his solid play in Cleveland recently. I think Columbus wants him in a top 6 role ultimately and if he deserved a call up, give it to him and let him know his effort is recognized. He was unlikely to play in the playoffs unless there was an injury problem.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Team struggling to score goals sends offensive-minded prospect back to AHL after one game. Amazing.

What offense has he ever provided against NHL competition?

I get that he has skill, and I'd like to see more of him at some point, but he hasn't done much with the opportunities he's been given. 1 assist in 6 games. Even Hannikainen managed a goal.

I'm sure he's among the primary considerations for a call-up if a F gets injured. Maybe the one game was to just get out the butterflies or something.

TBH, I wouldn't mind seeing what Zaar could do before the season is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad