Milan Lucic is David Clarkson 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
He's been way better lately. Maybe just took him some time to adjust to a new team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Maybe a more difficult transition to Oilers system going from Bruins and then Kings systems, which were probably way more defensive. Or maybe just saving gas in the tank for this part of season and playoffs

Either way hes been night and day compared to start of the year. Hes driving the play out there and really asserting himself. Looks magically faster and relatively faster then the opposition most nights.

Could be a combo of adjusting to new team + getting confidence back + putting 100% effort in. Not sure what it was exactly but whatever it was, I hope he keeps it up.

As far as the contract goes, I am under no impression hes going to be this good for the duration of the deal. I fully expect him to be an anchor the last 2 years. But if he can play at the level hes been playing for last~20 games for the next 2-3 years, well be gravy. He could really make the 2nd line a very dangerous one. And come playoffs his value could be tremendous

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not yet he isn't... Have to see him in the playoffs. I don't think he's been bad but I expect him to be better

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Doesn't look like he'll hit 20 goals, which I think is the sweet spot production-wise for getting the most out of him overall. Still, comparing him to Clarkson? That's really stupid. Just.....wow you've gotta really love hyperbole to do that.

He was a popular free agent. Whoever got him was going to overpay. That's what almost the entirety of HF doesn't understand every time they cry foul and lawl whenever a player like this signs a big contract. Place never, ever bothers to learn how **** actually works.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
I think the truth will come out come playoff time. If he turns it on and plays like the Lucic we all know he is, then he's well worth it. But if he falters and coasts along, that contract will look worse then it already is.

But he's no where near Clarkson bad. Whomever said that deserves a public naming and shaming. Oh wait OP, that's you. Hang your head in shame.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
unfortunately for Edmonton this deal will egatively effect them for years. he will be alright for the the next 3 years ($4MM/season alright) but after that its going to hurt. It will likely affect them re-signing young guys. With what McDavid is going to pull in, plus you are going to have to give hefty raises to Klefbom, Maroon. That doesn't take into effect Draisaitl and JPu. This deal with hurt a lot more than it helps.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
I think the truth will come out come playoff time. If he turns it on and plays like the Lucic we all know he is, then he's well worth it. But if he falters and coasts along, that contract will look worse then it already is.

But he's no where near Clarkson bad. Whomever said that deserves a public naming and shaming. Oh wait OP, that's you. Hang your head in shame.

Honestly he hasn't been coasting for a long time, he brings it most nights. His playmaking skills really have been on display recently, never knew he was such a good passer.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
unfortunately for Edmonton this deal will egatively effect them for years. he will be alright for the the next 3 years ($4MM/season alright) but after that its going to hurt. It will likely affect them re-signing young guys. With what McDavid is going to pull in, plus you are going to have to give hefty raises to Klefbom, Maroon. That doesn't take into effect Draisaitl and JPu. This deal with hurt a lot more than it helps.

Klefbom and larsson are signed for what 5 more years? and at great contracts
Maroon has one more year at less then 2 million and if he asks for to much I'm sure they'll let him walk they can get another big guy with okay hands there.

Drai will get a pretty good pay cheque, who knows with JP thats a ways down the road

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Klefbom is signed until 2023...

and you have no idea what the cap will look like in a few years

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Klefbom is signed until 2023...

and you have no idea what the cap will look like in a few years

wow very sensitive. Was not aware of Kelfbom extension. Doesn't change the fact the Oilers will be hard pressed to sign a lot of players with McDavids new contract and the bloated contract of Lucic.

The cap has nothing to do with this. Revenues haven't progressed. No big TV deals are coming soon. How will the league generate more revenues. It would have gone down this year if the players didn't choose to use escrow. The cap won't change enough by the end of Lucic's contract to validate that contract.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
Lucic has 30 points in 56 games with Edmonton.

Clarkson had 26 points in 118 games with Toronto.

Don't disrespect Clarkson like this. He is the God of bad contracts.

lmao this post on the 1st page really said all that needed to be said

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
wow very sensitive. Was not aware of Kelfbom extension. Doesn't change the fact the Oilers will be hard pressed to sign a lot of players with McDavids new contract and the bloated contract of Lucic.

The cap has nothing to do with this. Revenues haven't progressed. No big TV deals are coming soon. How will the league generate more revenues. It would have gone down this year if the players didn't choose to use escrow. The cap won't change enough by the end of Lucic's contract to validate that contract.

Lmao its not being sensitive, its correcting an obvious mistake

Who sknows hwat the cpa is going to do as effected by TV deals and revenues. For all we know cap could skyrocket. In 2010 even expected the cap to keep going up, then 3 years later it stopped. So even 3 years down the road is tough to predict.
Also, it will be possible to move Lucic should he be an anchor and negatively effect cap. At worst you have to deal a 2nd round pick or prospect to take him off your hands

The irony with this thread that everyone is missing in comparing Lucic to Clarkson, is that Clarkson was traded and his team got full cap relief. So dont tell me Lucic is 100% unmoveable. There is always going to be a sucker in the league. Hellin 4 years, all it may take is one hot playoff run to find someone who will take him, even if b that time he looks horrible

Lucic wasnt brought in to help in years 5-7, he was brought in to help RIGHT NOW. Take for example Hossa, his deal was considered horrible from day 1 due to mega length. 3 cups and many good seasons later and Im still waiting for Hossa to destroy the Hawks due to his cap hit and length. Lucic is no Hossa, but if he continues his play as of late (which is a legit great top 6 PWF) and keeps if up for playoffs and next 2 years. Hell have done his job. In years 4-7 if he slows down you can find ways around that as well

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB

pouliot is off the books soon or bought out, which is 4 million leaving and when McDavids contract comes up eberle and nuge have 1 and 2 years left on their deals respectively, so oilers can decided what they want to do with those players. The only long term contracts for forwards at that point will be the Mcdavid and Drai contracts signed and lucic

its not as dire of a situation as your implying

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Well, I'll give you the obvious one.

The league is expanding to a 31st team. That is a direct bump of HRR.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Who sknows hwat the cpa is going to do as effected by TV deals and revenues. For all we know cap could skyrocket. In 2010 even expected the cap to keep going up, then 3 years later it stopped. So even 3 years down the road is tough to predict

Also, it will be possible to move Lucic should he be an anchor and negatively effect cap. At worst you have to deal a 2nd round pick or prospect to take him off your hands

The irony with this thread that everyone is missing in comparing Lucic to Clarkson, is that Clarkson was traded and his team got full cap relief. So dont tell me Lucic is 100% unmoveable. There is always going to be a sucker in the league. Hellin 4 years, all it may take is one hot playoff run to find someone who will take him, even if b that time he looks horrible

and there is no evidence to show that he will be an anchor

he's been consistent player his whole career and in his first season with a new team,city,coach he has brought the same consistency as in the past.
He was making 6 million before this contract and makes the same now
hes a top 6 pwf that isn't even 30 yet. he hasn't slowed down.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
and there is no evidence to show that he will be an anchor

he's been consistent player his whole career and in his first season with a new team,city,coach he has brought the same consistency as in the past.
He was making 6 million before this contract and makes the same now
hes a top 6 pwf that isn't even 30 yet. he hasn't slowed down.

I think hell slow down. It happens to old guys, especially pwfs. I do see him lasting a bit longer because hes really gotten smarter on when to hit (not just a mindless wrecking ball). Hes also a pretty average skater in a league going more towards speed. I think his declining speed and wear and tear will hit him in 4 years or so. But thats a long time in the future. So who knows.

A guy like Doan stayed good well into his late 30s. Maybe lucic can to. I think its more likely hell regress to a somewhat anchor. But I also dont think hell be this sack of poop getting dragged around the ice at 6 mil and Oilers Gm will have to just stand by and let it happen for 7 years. Not all roses but not all doom and gloom.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
I think hell slow down. It happens to old guys, especially pwfs. I do see him lasting a bit longer because hes really gotten smarter on when to hit (not just a mindless wrecking ball). Hes also a pretty average skater in a league going more towards speed. I think his declining speed and wear and tear will hit him in 4 years or so. But thats a long time in the future. So who knows.

A guy like Doan stayed good well into his late 30s. Maybe lucic can to. I think its more likely hell regress to a somewhat anchor. But I also dont think hell be this sack of poop getting dragged around the ice at 6 mil and Oilers Gm will have to just stand by and let it happen for 7 years. Not all roses but not all doom and gloom.

yeah same way I see it, the last two years can be tough for him but a good gm can still build a good team that has a couple over paid players in there last years of the deal. I think well get 5 years of close to his career average production and its nice having a tough veteran cup champ on your team.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
In the last month he has put up 10 points in 13 games, playing physical, had a fight thrown in there some where. Playing as advertised.
People jump on free agents to quick to judge, i remember this about how long sekera took to get into his groove when we signed him.

glad to have him for the playoff drive as a vet he brings calmness during this last little slump

Also sitting at 40pts for the year with 0.58ppg which is right around his career average of 0.61ppg

He's been playing way better, maybe he reads HF, lol.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
He's an 18-20g guy and a 47-57 pt guy. Seems like he's right on pace for that, in this his 10th hard hitting season. Don't see the point of the thread, he is what he is.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I hope to see him in the playoffs in beast mode. He would have won the Conn Smyth if Boston won the Cup in 2013.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The guy's never missed the playoffs in his entire career. That is some rare experience, especially on an Oilers team full of young players who have no idea what the NHL playoffs are like.

That alone adds to his value for the Oilers.

Tillain

Oct 12, 2008
Halifax
The guy's never missed the playoffs in his entire career. That is some rare experience, especially on an Oilers team full of young players who have no idea what the NHL playoffs are like.

That alone adds to his value for the Oilers.

This x10

For years people have been saying the Oilers are too soft and lack experience and need an experienced vet used to winning for their young players. Lucic is all of that and then some. But all of the sudden he's Clarkson and the Oilers hosed themselves? Typical HF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad