Milan Lucic Hints at Signing With Vancouver Next Off-Season.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
It really is a tough slog being a Canucks fan, just constant torment and suffering.

Bleh.

Only thing we can hope for is that he has a terrible year. So terrible that he's either not signed or signed to a very cheap contract.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
We've been trying to recreate this guy here since he came into the league.

Might as well get the real thing, I guess. I'm not a huge fan of the guy and I don't expect that to change when he goes to a divisional rival. But we'll see if he can make an impact.

Almost a given that he signs here at this point, though. Unless LA miraculously fits him under their cap, he's a goner. Benning obviously loves him as well and will probably overpay to get him here, even though Lucic basically came out and said he wants to be here next season. Benning will still find a way to **** it up.

Having Lucic here when Virtanen breaks out would be huge, however. JV could be as chippy as he wanted with that big sack of bricks on his line.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I'd be okay with nothing more than 5/6 years at 6.5 million per. But something we know about Benning, is that when he targets someone, he's going to get him (which usually isn't a good thing).

I have to admit having him and Miller on the same team would be hilarious.

Bennings way to get miller to waive his NTC? :laugh:

arsmaster*

If the Kings allow Lucic and Kopitar to hit the market and we're in on the LW, I'll lose my ****.

Kopitar ends the rebuild, Lucic prolongs it.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Where on earth has there been any speculation (well founded or not) that the Kings would do anything other than sign Kopitar to whatever kind of deal it takes?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
If the Kings allow Lucic and Kopitar to hit the market and we're in on the LW, I'll lose my ****.

Kopitar ends the rebuild, Lucic prolongs it.

No way does Kopitar hit UFA. He'll be getting offers north of Toews money if he does.

I would go all in for that guy, though. He does it all.

Kopitar
Sedin
Horvat

as the top three centers, leading into Hank's retirement allowing Bo to take the 2nd line spot permanently in a few years....:naughty:

But I'm sure Benning will just offer Lucic $7.5 per for 7 years to make sure he gets "his guy"

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Watch this team give him a 6yr/36M deal with a NMC.

" He is a quality guy, good guy, we are building our team with real good people, He will mentor our young guys."

"He is a class act on and off the ice." "He is a real good mentor, like Prust, Dorsett, Sutter.."

This is the first season in 12~ years that Im not going to order NHL centre ice. Im going to save $200.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

" He is a quality guy, good guy, we are building our team with real good people, He will mentor our young guys."

"He is a class act on and off the ice." "He is a real good mentor, like Prust, Dorsett, Sutter.."

This is the first season in 12~ years that Im not going to order NHL centre ice. Im going to save $200.

I'd call it a minor victory if they signed Lucic to that contract. I expect him to get 7/52m from Benning if he makes it to UFA.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I think there's basically no chance he won't be grossly overpaid on his next contract. He's at the end of his prime and he's looking for a nice, fat retirement contract. Jimbo will be only too happy to land his very own Clarkson.

I think it will happen if he doesn't sign in LA. BUT I also feel like he's got the potential to commit some sort of crime (domestic violence especially) that might make him toxic/undesirable, and LA is the kind of franchise that seems to bring that out of their players, recently at least. Fingers crossed!

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Benning is going to throw the bank at this guy. 7 years at $8m per is my guess. Full NMC to boot.

Watch him strip the C from Henrik for him :laugh:

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
It really is a tough slog being a Canucks fan, just constant torment and suffering.

Bleh.

Only thing we can hope for is that he has a terrible year. So terrible that he's either not signed or signed to a very cheap contract.

Down years mean nothing to Benning, he watched Sbisa all year and gave him a raise

Hope he loves LA clicks with his linemates and has a big year so they resign him

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Chia in Edmonton might have a say where Lucic lands, he probably will drive the price through the roof even if he doesn't get him.

Dain Bramaged

Mar 29, 2013
Vancouver
I'd welcome him with open arms. I'm actually surprised he would still want to sign with VAN after all the rumor-mongering leaving a bad impression... I guess it shows that he's pretty dedicated to being a Vancouverite.

arsmaster*

I'd welcome him with open arms. I'm actually surprised he would still want to sign with VAN after all the rumor-mongering leaving a bad impression... I guess it shows that he's pretty dedicated to being a Vancouverite.

Or he sees the likely blank cheque he'll be handed.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
He's at the end of his prime and he's looking for a nice, fat retirement contract.

Down years mean nothing to Benning, he watched Sbisa all year and gave him a raise

This isn't even speculation. These are facts.

Plus you got Chia in Edmonton who would covet someone like him to protect the young guns and it's a perfect storm for Jimbo to go Jimbo

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Guy will want $6-7m per.....a terrible signing for that money...but I'd still take him if they could unload Miller's contract and it was a wash...but can't see it happening...although the 'Nucks do have a ton of players coming off the books at the end of next season, and Benning does love his 'meat and potatoes' players...hmm.:shakehead

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Benning will trade a 3rd rounder to get rights to talk to Lucic before Free Agency

He'll then describe his 4th round pick as ranked in the 2nd round "so we basically got a 2nd rounder, we were gona pick him with that 3rd"

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Benning will trade a 3rd rounder to get rights to talk to Lucic before Free Agency

He'll then describe his 4th round pick as ranked in the 2nd round "so we basically got a 2nd rounder, we were gona pick him with that 3rd"

Benning will also manage to give Lucic a NTC that was retroactive to his previous deal causing the canucks to pay further draft picks in compensation to the Kings....

But the scenario you outlined is exactly what will happen if Lucic is headed to free agency. Well that or the Kings trade him to someone else and Lucic signs with that team and Benning will be left with a massive gap in his bold plan to build a new core through unrestricted free agency.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC

I'd call it a minor victory if they signed Lucic to that contract. I expect him to get 7/52m from Benning if he makes it to UFA.

Pretty much what Proto said. If Benning "only" gives him 6 mill, that'd be a minor win by his standards.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
6 million is basically impossible. Wherever Lucic lands his next contract will pay him more than his current one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad