Milan Lucic- Done and gone or here to stay?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Amazing how so many of us complain the team is soft yet entertain trading Looch? Without him Causeway St. will automatically become Sesame St. The recipe for a more productive Milan is already here - Pasta and Spooner.

Yes, we get that there are reasons to keep him. There are.

But what are we going to pay him? That should directly correlate with our ability to keep him. Chiarelli already started heading this direction with Boychuk, so if Lucic isn't part of the future, he shouldn't be allowed to walk for free. I'm not advocating trading him for the sake of trading him. I'm advocating taking a hard look at what he is. And find out what he's asking for. If these numbers don't line up, we have to explore our options. If they do line up, great. Let's do it, sign him to a reasonable deal. But if we can't. Then what? Pay him what he wants, so he becomes an albatross vs. an asset?

Be careful what we wish for. In both directions. But this comes down to business. If it's not a smart business move, management needs to make the right choice.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I think a better question would be: If it took a 6-7 year deal at $6-7 million (likely closer to $7) per to keep him beyond next season, would you do it?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I think a better question would be: If it took a 6-7 year deal at $6-7 million (likely closer to $7) per to keep him beyond next season, would you do it?

Nope.
And it will be closer to 7 million. He makes 6 now.

Depending on how he does by next deadline at the latest Id offer him money or term. Not both. But thats me.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
He brings that physical game a fraction of the games he plays. So you add that fractional benefit to his point totals and then compare that to players with similar numbers and try to see what he's worth. You can't just pay him like he's a consistent physical force or consistent goal scorer because he's neither.

I'd pay the guy well but I'd stop at $5.5-6m. I'm thoroughly convinced that he'll ask for more and he'll get it from Chiarelli, complete with 5+ years and a NTC. And I'm going to hate it. I bet he gets 5 years, $32-$34m. And by year 2 or 3 we will all be pissed.

Just about every player in the league is inconsistent though. No one scores one point in every single game, no one gets 3 hits in every single game. What's your list of comparably inconsistent players scoring-wise or physicality-wise?

Because Lucic has still ended up around the top of the list in hits in the regular season every year (11th this year) and his ~5 hits per game in the playoffs the last 2 seasons is the highest it's been since his rookie season and tops of the league.

His finish in LW points since 2010-2011(11th,17th,26th,13th,27th) tell you his offence output alone is somewhere in the the top 20 for his position. Not to mention we've seen how players numbers typically go up playing outside of this system.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
You mean?
Who in the NHL has 60 point capability and brings the physical game Lucic sometimes does?

Lucic when on top of his game IS worth his salary. My problem with this, is when IS he on top of his game? Will he be on it when we need him to? If the last 2 seasons are any indication of where he is trending... I'd be very very cautious where and how we invest into Lucic. That salary better correspond with his sometimes production, otherwise, we can't pay him to be a top line forward when he doesn't deliver.

He was on his game almost all last season and vs Detriot. If one bad series against Montreal and a poor 2014 portion of this season is enough for you to write him off then that's probably just you , like this whole board, being all "what have you done more me lately". I remember everyone being on him in 2012-2013 before the playoffs, didn't hear a peep from then until the montreal series. I just hope than if he goes off in the playoffs as he's done in the past, than people like you stick by your word.

as per the Bolded: How about having the second highest PPG in the playoffs just 2 years ago, higher than the soon to be 10.5 million dollar Toews and Kane? Nevermind the fact that we would have gotten booted by the ****ing leafs in the 1st round if it wasn't for him. Finishing as the 13th highest LW in scoring and 10 ten in hits for forwards is the kind of stuff that gets you the big bucks as well.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
He brings that physical game a fraction of the games he plays. So you add that fractional benefit to his point totals and then compare that to players with similar numbers and try to see what he's worth. You can't just pay him like he's a consistent physical force or consistent goal scorer because he's neither.

I'd pay the guy well but I'd stop at $5.5-6m. I'm thoroughly convinced that he'll ask for more and he'll get it from Chiarelli, complete with 5+ years and a NTC. And I'm going to hate it. I bet he gets 5 years, $32-$34m. And by year 2 or 3 we will all be pissed.

Show me someone who consistently plays 75+ games a year with a top flight physical presence and the ability to score 50-65 points. That list is damn short. I'm not saying that he does those things and I get that Lucic isn't worth more than 6 million dollars but you remove him from this team and it goes into an even worse identity. There's very little reason to move on from Lucic in my eyes.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
He's been overpaid by a million or so his whole career, will be a tough one for Chia, a full culture shift will have to be committed to if he is moved.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Nope.
And it will be closer to 7 million. He makes 6 now.

Depending on how he does by next deadline at the latest Id offer him money or term. Not both. But thats me.

It's his last big contract and he's just 27 then so I don't think he will ask no less than 6.5M-7M and someone will give him that 7M. Can't be a passenger with 7M contract for 10+ games.

Show me someone who consistently plays 75+ games a year with a top flight physical presence and the ability to score 50-65 points. That list is damn short. I'm not saying that he does those things and I get that Lucic isn't worth more than 6 million dollars but you remove him from this team and it goes into an even worse identity. There's very little reason to move on from Lucic in my eyes.

7M guys have to perform every night, ofcourse there are bad games here and there but the effort has to be there in every game.

you can add physical players in to your bottom 6 and add talent in to the top 6, we are very thin on talent and don't have the goal scorers,
kassian+stewart+ hall in and lucic+smith+ out and we have physical players and top talent. + We'd save some cap.

And again the problems would start when he's 32-34y old with 7M cap hit, can't really afford it.

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
If Chirelli could put his hand on another same type of player (Kassian?) at a reasonable price, it would give him a stronger negotiation position. If not, Lucic is in a stronger position no matter what his stats are.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
except kassian at his best isn't as good as lucic at his worst

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Not a chance. Wouldnt consider the dollars or the length.

I don't see how anyone would think commiting that type of money to an inconsistent player, on a roster desperate for reliable goalscoring, would be a wise idea. We will once again be in a spot where we can't add at the deadline despite the fact we will need to.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Yes let's trade almost never injured Lucic for Hall who is almost always injured.

Some of you are dumb

Bi Coastal Bawse*

He's been overpaid by a million or so his whole career, will be a tough one for Chia, a full culture shift will have to be committed to if he is moved.

Like the culture shift of this season of being faster, younger and more skilled which didn't happen until late into the season....

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Lucic is now the second most polite Bruin on the ice next to Loui Eriksson.

He will be contending for the Lady Byng Trophy next season.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If Chirelli could put his hand on another same type of player (Kassian?) at a reasonable price, it would give him a stronger negotiation position. If not, Lucic is in a stronger position no matter what his stats are.

The only similarity between Kassian and Lucic is they both fight occasionally. Other than that they play nothing alike.

Kassian is much more like Horton(although nowhere near as good) than he is Lucic.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
You gage it over the offseason on what he's looking for. Anything over 6 million and I move him for another quarter vs the 2 dimes and a nickel approach.

I think even at 6 million he's over paid but Boston and it's fans love to overrate physical hard working lunch pails guys.

Which then begs the question why that applies to Lucic but that's a different conversation.

If he needs rookies like Pastrnak and Spooner to get him going then he's a secondary role player and doesn't deserve top line money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad