Milan Lucic- Done and gone or here to stay?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Hard to pick in your poll. Yes he should get a new contract but not what he's going to ask.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Should trade him so they have plenty of money to extend Campbell, Paille and even give Kelly another contract

:sarcasm:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Me personally I'd keep him, as long as it's not a 7-8 year deal.

I'd trade him for the right return(preferably a top end 20-25 year old D-man) which I don't see happening.

I don't want to see him moved in a dollar for 4 quarters type of deal.

My prediction, if Chiarelli stays Lucic is re-signed, like a few posters here have said probably an overpayment.

If Chia is canned then all bets are off.

Habs killer

Jan 31, 2007
somerville
he's such a polarizing player. at times he appears to go through the motions, other times with his feet moving he just flat out makes opposing defencemen cough up the puck. I enjoy his goonery and jabroni like antics regardless if people think he is immature. If I wanted to bore myself I'd go watch baseball.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
A) It wasn't a bar fight, it was an assault. Lucic wisely didn't hit the guy who popped him a couple times and instead, let the cops handle it.

B) The "stance" he took against his home city was voiced well before the "bar fight", after the nice folks in Vancouver harassed his family and vandalized his parent's church. The assault in the bar just sealed it. He also softened the stance after a couple days to cool down.

I said 'near' bar fight. Its not clear who was at fault. Probably not Lucic but there were conflicting accounts.

And his anti Vancouver comments came right after the fight. See for yourself:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/bri...ed-and-outraged-with-vancouver-fans-1.2465347

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Since the new year lucic has put up 9g-14a-23p +10 in 32 games. That's a 23-36-59 point pace, almost exactly the same as his last season, which a lot of people said was one of his best.

I think it's pretty safe to say that recovering from his wrist injury and playing with the likes of Kelly, Griffith, and Cunningham for a good portion of 2014 really had an effect on his scoring.

I don't buy the regression BS. He's been skating as well this season as I think he's ever had and with a healthy Krejci and a more seasoned Pastrnak, I could see Lucic hitting career highs next year.

I think that trading Lucic, without getting a game changer back, would hurt this team a lot more than "overpaying" him by a million or for a year too long. This team, sans Lucic, would be so soft and boring that all the fans wanting Lucic traded now would be begging for Chiarelli to draft/trade for/sign any body that even resembles a Powerforward.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I said 'near' bar fight. Its not clear who was at fault. Probably not Lucic but there were conflicting accounts.

And his anti Vancouver comments came right after the fight. See for yourself:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/bri...ed-and-outraged-with-vancouver-fans-1.2465347

Yet you call it "the fight" in the same post you quote yourself calling it a "near bar fight". Make up your mind. :shakehead

Fact is, the whole thing was on video, and it wasn't a "near fight", it was an assault. He never threw a punch, yet he got punched twice. You calling it a "near fight" is like calling a robbery a "near financial transaction" and smacks of flat out bias. And he had similar comments after the church was vandalized. He also backtracked after a few days to cool down.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
I have no idea what this team is trying to do or which way their going to go for the future. The drafting has been a disaster and the trades have been just as bad. Getting rid of good players and no one making up for those losses. I blame management and the thick headed stubborn Julien.

I understand people's frustration with this team but it isn't Lucic's fault this team is where it is. The lack of goal production or the wins and losses is not Lucic's fault. So while teams say as Chicago, who have Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith, Sharp, Seabrook and a few other very good players, yet we keep talking about getting rid of our core players.

Lucic is what he is, a 20 goal scorer who plays a very physical game who is possibly the best in the NHL at that type of game. BUT HE IS NOT A SNIPER/GOAL SCORER!! I blame this all on the system that Bruins brass all the way to coach Julien.

Its very easy to point the finger at Lucic because of his salary and because he is about the only player left that we can point the finger at. lol We can't blame Chara or Siedenberg because they doesn't play offense they're defense man right? They're are only a couple of players on this team this year that I'd say are worth what their getting paid.

Getting rid of goal scorers like Kessel and Seguin, and who are now a team full of muckers and top that off that they play a defense first type game! Boston needs to pick which way they are going to go, are they going to go with a heavy game? Or are they going to go with a small faster type game and than go for it!

Imagine Lucic on a team like the Hawks on any one of their lines, or the Rangers or the Penguins.. WoW..

This team just has too many passengers. Too many wanna be Patrice Bergerons.

Last edited:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Saying Lucic isn't to blame for the lack of goalscoring is absolutely right...but that's also the problem. If you're not expecting big goal production from him, then how do you justify paying him $6M or more? And I know his supporters will answer that it's the "physical presence", but they never seem to be around when he's on one of his annual vacations from physical presence.

If this team had goal scorers on decent deals and they didn't have a GM who overpaid for 3rd and 4th liners, they could probably afford to pay a guy like Lucic to give them 25 goals or so and a "physical presence". But when they are desperate for goals and can no longer lay claim to being a team that thrives on physical play, I don't think they can pay him that. I think inevitably they'd be overpaying to appease the folks who watch the sport for hits as much as hockey, and the game has evolved past that.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
Since the new year lucic has put up 9g-14a-23p +10 in 32 games. That's a 23-36-59 point pace, almost exactly the same as his last season, which a lot of people said was one of his best.

On "pace" implies that's what he's doing all year, but he isn't. That' the problem. No doubt he CAN be good but inconsistency is the issue. Elite players are (more) consistent. Being paid 6+ mil means you are being paid to be an elite player. If he isn't an elite player then fine, but his next contract better not pay him like one (if he's still with the Bs). Another team can pay him elite money to not be elite if they want, I just don't want that to happen here.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
On "pace" implies that's what he's doing all year, but he isn't. That' the problem. No doubt he CAN be good but inconsistency is the issue. Elite players are (more) consistent. Being paid 6+ mil means you are being paid to be an elite player. If he isn't an elite player then fine, but his next contract better not pay him like one (if he's still with the Bs). Another team can pay him elite money to not be elite if they want, I just don't want that to happen here.

Take any skilled player, add in wrist surgery in the offseason, play them with Bottom 6ers for a good chunk of the season and their production would go down, even Crosby. I was just pointing out that Lucic's play and production has improved from the start of the season due to being healthy and put back playing with skilled players, which kind of ruins people's "OMG he's regressing!!" stance.

Almost every player in the league is inconsistent to a degree and people vastly overrate the degree in which Lucic is inconsistent. 32 games is a decent sample size and has come at a time where this team has needed points more than anytime in the last 5 years and you know what? He's delivered.

Elite player's now a days are getting 8-9m+, good 1st line wingers get 6-7. Lucic has proven to be a good first line LW, a good playoff performer, and brings a skill set that is extremely rare in this league for a top line player. He'll get 6-7 million and be worth it.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
Saying Lucic isn't to blame for the lack of goalscoring is absolutely right...but that's also the problem. If you're not expecting big goal production from him, then how do you justify paying him $6M or more? And I know his supporters will answer that it's the "physical presence", but they never seem to be around when he's on one of his annual vacations from physical presence.

If this team had goal scorers on decent deals and they didn't have a GM who overpaid for 3rd and 4th liners, they could probably afford to pay a guy like Lucic to give them 25 goals or so and a "physical presence". But when they are desperate for goals and can no longer lay claim to being a team that thrives on physical play, I don't think they can pay him that. I think inevitably they'd be overpaying to appease the folks who watch the sport for hits as much as hockey, and the game has evolved past that.

Agreed I don't believe he's worth 6+ Mil and if he thinks he is than oh well goodbye. Lucic is an elite player in this league.

No doubt the 2 kids have brought out Lucic's game. My point is just that, where would we be without the 2 kids. We'd be screwed that's where. I was being sarcastic. :p:

My bad I didn't even realize they were slotted as the 3rd line.. Which makes sense.

This season in order to win games Rask has had to keep opponents at 1 or 0 goals.. That's just impossible. This team is too slow on the back end and on Offense we have to many passengers/muckers.

I'd say 5-6 Mil per but not 6+..

Last edited:

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Agreed I don't believe he's worth 6+ Mil and if he thinks he is than oh well goodbye. He is not an elite player.

No doubt the 2 kids have brought out Lucic's game. My point is just that, where would we be without the 2 kids. We'd be screwed that's where. I was being sarcastic. :p:

My bad I didn't even realize they were slotted as the 3rd line.. Which makes sense.

This season in order to win games Rask has had to keep opponents at 1 or 0 goals.. That's just impossible. This team is too slow on the back end and on Offense we have to many passengers/muckers.

Elite

-a select part of a group that is superior to the rest in terms of ability or qualities.

Who in the NHL has 60 point capability and brings the physical game Lucic does? Probably a pretty select group.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Elite

-a select part of a group that is superior to the rest in terms of ability or qualities.

Who in the NHL has 60 point capability and brings the physical game Lucic does? Probably a pretty select group.

You mean?
Who in the NHL has 60 point capability and brings the physical game Lucic sometimes does?

Lucic when on top of his game IS worth his salary. My problem with this, is when IS he on top of his game? Will he be on it when we need him to? If the last 2 seasons are any indication of where he is trending... I'd be very very cautious where and how we invest into Lucic. That salary better correspond with his sometimes production, otherwise, we can't pay him to be a top line forward when he doesn't deliver.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
The things I've seen here from DOM say that maybe Lucic will be offered in the summer for Hall.

Unless he lights it up in the playoffs I think that's something the bruins should look at.

I'd do it in a heartbeat, Edmonton wouldn't. And on top of that, Lucic ain't waving **** to go to Edmonton.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They should trade him for a couple of third liners, a possible defensive prospect, and a career AHL stiff who can't skate, that they can end up simply waiving...:naughty:

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Yet you call it "the fight" in the same post you quote yourself calling it a "near bar fight". Make up your mind. :shakehead

Fact is, the whole thing was on video, and it wasn't a "near fight", it was an assault. He never threw a punch, yet he got punched twice. You calling it a "near fight" is like calling a robbery a "near financial transaction" and smacks of flat out bias. And he had similar comments after the church was vandalized. He also backtracked after a few days to cool down.

Relax son. What a weak move by you to point out the wording. A desperate move a kid would make.

We don't know what happened. The video was taken after the incident.

You were wrong about the timing of his comments. You should have admitted that.

I am not biased, just questioning his leadership traits. Good player, but based on the little we know about him, the events I referenced do not paint such a picture. Sure is a lot of smoke there. But who knows?

I think the bias is on your side of the keyboard. You didn't comment on the other examples I referenced but picked apart one of them.

Weak stuff.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Elite

He brings that physical game a fraction of the games he plays. So you add that fractional benefit to his point totals and then compare that to players with similar numbers and try to see what he's worth. You can't just pay him like he's a consistent physical force or consistent goal scorer because he's neither.

I'd pay the guy well but I'd stop at $5.5-6m. I'm thoroughly convinced that he'll ask for more and he'll get it from Chiarelli, complete with 5+ years and a NTC. And I'm going to hate it. I bet he gets 5 years, $32-$34m. And by year 2 or 3 we will all be pissed.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
They should trade him for a couple of third liners, a possible defensive prospect, and a career AHL stiff who can't skate, that they can end up simply waiving...:naughty:

I get it, but Loui is no third liner. The fact that he plays with the 3rd best center doesn't make him a third liner any more than Reilly Smith is a 2nd liner. Loui's a top 6 forward easily and you know it.

Now back to Looch.

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
I can't see the Bruins trading him or letting him walk.
Lucic can't really be worth much - if any - more than $6M per year... can he?

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Amazing how so many of us complain the team is soft yet entertain trading Looch? Without him Causeway St. will automatically become Sesame St. The recipe for a more productive Milan is already here - Pasta and Spooner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad