Milan Lucic- Done and gone or here to stay?

Kranium

Mar 9, 2014
Arvika, Sweden
Im a huge Lucic fan, but the team goes first, not the player.
My question to you is: What are you expecting from Lucic in his current role? What kind of numbers does he need to accomplish during a season? Is the locker room presence worth dollars? The whole team´s point production is down this year...Lucic included. Is that taken in consideration?
I dont se his numbers declining much over the years, sure...ups and downs is a part of a athletes career.
Im all in on Lucic...he needs to stay in Boston. All he needs to have to be consistent is a healthy set of line mates...regular line mates and his own health.

Thought this needed its own thread. Merge if need be.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
When he's on his game he encapsulates everything that the Bruins stand for. Unless we're striving for a serious culture shift (which I doubt) then he stays.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Business side of things he doesn't earn a pay raise. If anything a decrease. His production and physical presence has been a steady decline since he was given the contract.

But when he decides to play hard he is the most fearsome power forward in the NHL.

I say lets see what happens in the playoffs if they make it. If he doesn't elevate his game it may be time to trade before everyone catches on that he isn't the player from a few years ago

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Too early to say.

If he dominates in the playoffs as he has in the past, they'll lock him up in the summer. If not we'll probably have to wait and see how next year plays out.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Too early to say.

If he dominates in the playoffs as he has in the past, they'll lock him up in the summer. If not we'll probably have to wait and see how next year plays out.

WHEN he dominates, not IF. We're doomed. One little slip like that can cause the Great Lucic to pass you by. Oh Great Lucic, where are you?

But really, I feel like he's here to stay.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Too early to say.

This is where Im at. At least the 'too early' part.

Id listen in the offseason though if approached. But I feel that way about any player.

The team needs to really look at what the core will be over the next five years.
What will the Cap look like next year or two?

Whats he looking for in term and dollars?

It will be a very tough decision for this organization.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
6-7 year deal is too long for lucic- I don't want to see 32-34y old powerforward banking 1st line 7M money, 4-5y I could live with but
7M/7y would hurt as badly.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
A raise?

Hitting is down

Fighting is down

Scoring is down

why are we talking about a raise?

I hope we don't do like the Penguins and dish out needless amounts of money for an aging player to pay for the success in the past.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I like Lucic, but he has had a mediocre season and, frankly, he's over-rated. I would use him as trade bait in the off season, even if he has a good showing in the playoffs. (That would actually raise his value.) Extending him for another half-dozen years or so at—likely—$7 million per season is not sound management, given his inconsistency.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's a really weird situation with him. He's not the type of player that is going to take a significant paycut; whatever contract he gets, pretty much everyone on here is going to think he's overpaid. That being said, it's tough to just cut ties with a player like that; I personally would shop him around and allow him to negotiate with other teams to get max value back in a trade this offseason, but I realize that has no chance of happening.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I hope we don't do like the Penguins and dish out needless amounts of money for an aging player to pay for the success in the past.

The game he played in the past is probably unsustainable we should at least have a look at what his return would be.

Why do you think that he is considered so unique? Not even he is the player most think he is.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
When he's on his game he encapsulates everything that the Bruins stand for. Unless we're striving for a serious culture shift (which I doubt) then he stays.

I agree with this.

The Bruins are too thin on talent to lose him. Can't afford it. Lucic is very talented, but needs to find his motivation. Hopefully he can play up to his potential more consistently...

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Without taking an emotionally look at this, it needs to be looked at like business.

What is he asking for? What is he going to get? Lucic's play certainly hasn't warranted a raise from us. But would another team give it to him? Possibly. Possibly not.

Business-wise, is what we invest him worth whatever that price is? Once we have the answer to what he wants, we should make a decision.

I do think the front office was/is listening to offers, not shopping him, but certainly not hanging up the phone.

This said, do I think Chiarelli will make a good move? No. No, I don't.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
The game he played in the past is probably unsustainable we should at least have a look at what his return would be.

Why do you think that he is considered so unique? Not even he is the player most think he is.

Did you even read what I wrote?

I wrote that I hope we didn't do like the Pens. What do you think I meant? Hit Lucic with the money-catapult? Well better to let him go than to overpay for a power-forward brushing past 30. They don't tend to last long anyway.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

What culture is that? Seriously, though. He's not nearly as effective as he was even 2 years ago. Whatever the reasoning, if he doesn't come back to that, then... he's a fraction of what he used to be.

Lucic and Chong

Mar 11, 2010
I'd much rather keep him through the end of this contract and potentially let him walk as UFA than try to "get something" for him because we're afraid he won't re-sign at a reasonable number.

It's anathema to many on this board, but I don't feel it is good "asset management" to go after a trade simply because a player might leave for "nothing."

In this case, replacing what Lucic brings on his best days isn't going to happen. If he leaves it will definitely change the makeup of the team, and I'll be right pissed if Chiarelli trades a year of this player away for a futures return.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think the only answer at this point is "it depends".

As others have pointed out there's too much up in air (Cap, GM situation, what "identity" the Bruins adopt moving forward, ML in playoffs -- assuming we make it, etc.,etc.)

What I will say is that the days of "you have no choice but to sign Lucic, no matter what" are gone.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
People need to consider that lots of people are getting "raises" while their production dropped or stayed flat. You can't add millions yearly to the cap and not have that money trickle down to the players.

Lucic isn't taking a pay cut, that much is a lock. The only question is if he's going to go after a raise.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
The things I've seen here from DOM say that maybe Lucic will be offered in the summer for Hall.

Unless he lights it up in the playoffs I think that's something the bruins should look at.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The things I've seen here from DOM say that maybe Lucic will be offered in the summer for Hall.

Unless he lights it up in the playoffs I think that's something the bruins should look at.

I make that deal.

You can say all you want about Hall only playing 65 games a year. But Lucic only plays 45 games a year :sarcasm:

See_What_I_Did_There.jpg

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
I think it will be a little like Johnny Damon with the Red Sox, you want him back but when the market offers him a lot more than he seems worth to you it's time to move on...

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I said yes because he is what the Bruins are supposed to be however it all comes down to the $$$$.

If he askes too much then no don't sign him but I would like to think they can get a deal done that is reasonable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad