Milan Hejduk's Number and the Rafters

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

foppagirl21

Jan 16, 2011
Denver, CO
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Milan decided to hang on two more seasons after this. Unless his skills erode, and they sure haven't yet, I'd love to see him play a few more. Surely he must be rooted in Denver now, right? And he'd still only be 37 or 38 when he hung 'em up.

Same here, Milan looks better than ever. I could easily see him playing through the 2013-14 season. And yes, he is very rooted here in Colorado. He has two kids and is extremely involved in the community. Hejduk will not leave this team. If he was to not be resigned by the Avs (for whatever odd reason), he would retire, I bet on it.

Dirtyjon

Mar 6, 2008
a Mile High
It looks like I am in a minority here. I don't think Bourque should be up there as it is, but can't change that. I don't think Foote or Hejduk will have their numbers retired and I do not think that they should.

I would love it if the Avs would figure out a way to honor certain players numbers, but not retire them. Maybe a single banner that has multiple names and numbers on it for players that meant a lot to the team but weren't quite as valuable as someone who would have there number retired. I would put Bourque, Hejduk, Foote in this catagory. Bourque was only with us for a couple of seasons. Foote played in Columbus for a little while, Hejduk is the hardest of these becasue he has always been with the team but he has not been the captain or ever really taken the team on his back. He has been a good player for a long time but he has never meant as much as Sakic, Forsberg or Roy.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I'm in the minority, but I don't believe in "retiring" numbers - although I do believe in honoring them in the rafters.

If someone - let's say Matt Duchene - wanted to wear #19 to honor Joe Sakic, I say let him. It gives us another chance to remember Sakic - parents can say to their kids, "Hey, you know why Duchene wears #19? Because of Joe Sakic," and then they can talk about their own memories of Sakic, and it gets passed down through generations that way.

The fact that three different superstar running backs - Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, and Floyd Little - all wore #44 for Syracuse University? That's one of the coolest number stories out there in my opinion. They ultimately retired the number in 2005 (grumble), but it became an honor to wear the number for the team. I think it's a cool tradition.

foppagirl21

Jan 16, 2011
Denver, CO
It sucks he went to the BJ's for a few seasons, but I'll blame the lockout for that. IMO #52 should go up the rafters too. He was a huge part of this organization since the move to Denver.

I am not saying that Foote's number should NOT be retired (quite the contrary), but I guess I personally feel like Hejduk's belongs up there... more? Meh, what I was trying to get across did not get across (lack of coffee, my friends). Retire them both!

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'm in the minority, but I don't believe in "retiring" numbers - although I do believe in honoring them in the rafters.

If someone - let's say Matt Duchene - wanted to wear #19 to honor Joe Sakic, I say let him. It gives us another chance to remember Sakic - parents can say to their kids, "Hey, you know why Duchene wears #19? Because of Joe Sakic," and then they can talk about their own memories of Sakic, and it gets passed down through generations that way.

The fact that three different superstar running backs - Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, and Floyd Little - all wore #44 for Syracuse University? That's one of the coolest number stories out there in my opinion. They ultimately retired the number in 2005 (grumble), but it became an honor to wear the number for the team. I think it's a cool tradition.

Yeah, that's the case in football (soccer) as well, it's nice to see the history behind a certain number, every kid that wears number 10 in Croatian football national team is compared to Zvone Boban, every player that wears number 9 reminds me of Davor Šuker and so on, it's nice to see those numbers and reminiscent of the good old days.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Same here, Milan looks better than ever. I could easily see him playing through the 2013-14 season. And yes, he is very rooted here in Colorado. He has two kids and is extremely involved in the community. Hejduk will not leave this team. If he was to not be resigned by the Avs (for whatever odd reason), he would retire, I bet on it.

If his family's here, then why not? Here's hoping for two more one year contracts.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
I'm absolutely in favor of it. Hejduk is seen as a notch below the fabled Sakic, Forsberg, Foote, and Roy. But honestly, he was the first purely Avalanche star. Not a Nordique, not acquired in a trade, 100% Colorado. It would just be wrong to see anyone else in #23. That number is as his as much as 19, or 21, or 33, or 52 are to those respective players.

That reason. I know I wouldnt want to see anyone wear #23, it just wouldnt be right. The "Avs" are a newer team and I would love to start building player alumni/history.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
I'll go with the unpopular opinion and say no. He's been good. But not THAT good. Just like the Hall of Fame, jersey retirement is meant for special players. Just looking at the numbers, he's done well, but again, not great, not special. If he somehow plays long enough to reach 500 goals, 500-600 assists, and 1000 points then I'll say yes. But until then, it's a no from me.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
I'll go with the unpopular opinion and say no. He's been good. But not THAT good. Just like the Hall of Fame, jersey retirement is meant for special players. Just looking at the numbers, he's done well, but again, not great, not special. If he somehow plays long enough to reach 500 goals, 500-600 assists, and 1000 points then I'll say yes. But until then, it's a no from me.

I think you are making an argument against him making the HOF. It's usually easier to get your jersey retired than make the HOF, and stats are not the only measure for that honor. I think Milan's done enough all around to merit the honor. One Team, 2 Cups! :sarcasm:

ManOnTheMoon

Hejdas Gonna Hejd
Aug 7, 2009
Omaha, Nebraska
I know Bourque's number shouldn't be retired here, but I think it helps his case that he wore such an uncommon number. If he was still wearing #7 when he played here, no way it gets retired. I'd bet the team just played the odds. It was more likely some people would see not retiring it as an insult than there is to be another star wearing #77 who wants the number.

Another thing about Hejduk-- has this guy ever signed for market value? I was looking through some of his contracts and he gas consistently taken a discount to stay with Colorado.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Rocket Richard winner when he scored 50 goals in 02–03, 98 pts
12 straight years of 20 goals or more. The longest among active players
3 time all star - the only Av player selected in 2 of them
2 time stanley cup winner

Maybe a little less productive lately, but I could see him breaking 30 goals and 70 pts again this year.

We'll retire his jersey.

ManOnTheMoon

Hejdas Gonna Hejd
Aug 7, 2009
Omaha, Nebraska
Rocket Richard winner when he scored 50 goals in 02–03, 98 pts
12 straight years of 20 goals or more. The longest among active players
3 time all star - the only Av player selected in 2 of them
2 time stanley cup winner

Maybe a little less productive lately, but I could see him breaking 30 goals and 70 pts again this year.

We'll retire his jersey.

Hejduk has only 1 Cup, actually. The only Avs that were part of the 96 and 01 Cups are Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, and Foote, and perhaps most surprisingly, Yelle and Klemm.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Hejduk has only 1 Cup, actually. The only Avs that were part of the 96 and 01 Cups are Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, and Foote, and perhaps most surprisingly, Yelle and Klemm.

Oops, see that now. He was still playing in Czech until the 98-99 season. The only season he didn't score 20 goals too.

croAVSfan*

The duke and footer are the next two to get their numbers retired then it will be a long time before anyone else gets that honor. It's very possible that no one on the current roster will get their number retired.

I also feel that ray shouldn't have had his number retired. It was story for him to come over and finally win the cup, but I think that one should have played with the team for at least 7 years to be even considered for the honor. If you can play two years with the club and get your number retired then we might as well retire blake, tanguay, and drury while we're at it.

I know for example from Swiss NLA league. EV Zug has some kind of criteria for this honor. You have to be 10 seasons with the club + you have to win at least one title.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I personally would rather see Hejduk's number retired before Foote's.

I'm with this. Hejduk never left the team. I don't really blame Foote for leaving, but the fact is he did. Hejduk always took a discount for this club too.

In fact, looking back, I would have given the C to Hejduk to begin with, instead of slapping it on Foote after he came back. That way we'd still have a captain and would have our interim coach already instead of our current situation.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
19, 21, 23, 33, 52, 77

That's a lot of numbers retired in a short time span. Especially considering other teams won more in the same amount of time. Bourque's 77 shouldn't be up there but its a tough call to say any of the other 5 can't be retired.

:sarcasm: you're right Clark's number wont be retired :sarcasm:

sorry i couldnt help myself :naughty:

let's be serious , i'm pretty sure that Hejduk and Foote will both be retired . That's pretty much the last two numbers for a looooooong time

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
They will probably retire Hejduk and Foote's numbers, but they shouldn't. They pretty much have to though, because they ****ed up by retiring Bourque's. It should only be 19, 21, and 33 up there. Love Hejduk and Foote to death but they're not on that elite, untouchable level. 6 retired jerseys from a 15-20 year span? That's kind of ridiculous.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
They will probably retire Hejduk and Foote's numbers, but they shouldn't. They pretty much have to though, because they ****ed up by retiring Bourque's. It should only be 19, 21, and 33 up there. Love Hejduk and Foote to death but they're not on that elite, untouchable level. 6 retired jerseys from a 15-20 year span? That's kind of ridiculous.

Luckily with the way things are now, there will probably never be a player to play more than 8-10 years with the franchise and therefore will never have the number retired.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Retire the Nordique numbers.

If you're going to sell Nordique-style player jerseys, sweatshirts, and hats with the Nordique logo on them in the Pepsi Center, honor their players as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad