Milan Hejduk's Number and the Rafters

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
The duke and footer are the next two to get their numbers retired then it will be a long time before anyone else gets that honor. It's very possible that no one on the current roster will get their number retired.

I also feel that ray shouldn't have had his number retired. It was story for him to come over and finally win the cup, but I think that one should have played with the team for at least 7 years to be even considered for the honor. If you can play two years with the club and get your number retired then we might as well retire blake, tanguay, and drury while we're at it.

Dillbotnik

Sep 7, 2011
United Kingdom
No doubts it will, the last of the old guys, he's Avalanche through and through, he deserves it. After him I don't see anyone else's number going up for a while.

The duke and footer are the next two to get their numbers retired then it will be a long time before anyone else gets that honor. It's very possible that no one on the current roster will get their number retired.

I also feel that ray shouldn't have had his number retired. It was story for him to come over and finally win the cup, but I think that one should have played with the team for at least 7 years to be even considered for the honor. If you can play two years with the club and get your number retired then we might as well retire blake, tanguay, and drury while we're at it.

I guess it's because Borque is a bona fide superstar, granted he's a Bruin and will always be seen that way, but not retiring his jersey would have been seen as an insult by some people.

Last edited:

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
It may not be a right a way type of thing, as in the season after, but it will come. Odds increase a ton if he plays another year or two, or possibly even three. Odds get even better if he manages to put up one more really solid year in there, like 35 goals 30 assists.

I also hope Foote gets the honor as well. He deserves it and it would be a perfect bookend to the "core" from the glory years. Ideally, Footer gets the honor next fall, with Hejduk a year or two after when he finally retires.

As for the concern of retiring too many numbers, I don't really see a problem with it. For one, we are at least 10-12 years away from another player possibly earning that honor, with Stastny being the closest...and far from a sure bet. Even if this core is legit and wins a cup or two over its 10-15 year window, there may only be 3-4 guys that earn the honor once again, so, even if you retire 3-4 every 10-15, that takes you a long ways into the future. If it really becomes an issue, you simply pick a point in time to refresh, set the previously retired numbers to simply honored numbers, and then bring them back into play. (and that is if the Avs and/or the NHL last 100 years, which is when it would become a numbers issue)

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

Almost word for word what I was thinking. :handclap:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
His number will be retired. Good numbers. Lifetime Avs player. A very classy player that is universally loved by the fan base.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
I honestly don't see Foote's being retired, but Hejduk should be the closest to the lock.

Are you mad? I think your too much referring to his last days in a Avs jersey than when he was playing in his prime with us. Foote was one of the best defensive defenseman in the league in his prime. No wonder he played for Canada in the 2002 olympics. He deserves to be there. People only recognize those who only scored pts in their careers and not the ones who brings a lot more to the table in a different way.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
To me, it just seems like too many numbers in a too short period of time.

As a poster mentioned above, Detroit was a bit better than us during the 90s. But they only retired 1-2 jersey's during the same time we retired 4, plus the candidates of Foote and Hejduk.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City

As a poster mentioned above, Detroit was a bit better than us during the 90s. But they only retired 1-2 jersey's during the same time we retired 4, plus the candidates of Foote and Hejduk.

Well that's Detroit. Why do the same as them? By the way who is in the rafters in Detroit right now from the players in the 90's?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

And who are the players that deserved to have their number retired in Detroit outside of Yzerman and Lidstrom? Which Red Wings players stack up to Foote and Hejduk in terms of longevity of their careers in Colorado and their impact over the years?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
What is the problem with retiring a few numbers? Why is it "too many?"

If they were unwarranted, then there is a case, but aside from Bourque, these are all absolute no-brainers.

These players re-established hockey in Denver, provided a winning culture to the organization, and laid the groundwork for the professionalism our team exudes.

We may never see a powerhouse like that team was for a while, so let's honor them accordingly. I have no issues with that.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
And who are the players that deserved to have their number retired in Detroit outside of Yzerman and Lidstrom? Which Red Wings players stack up to Foote and Hejduk in terms of longevity of their careers in Colorado and their impact over the years?

At least one of the Russians.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
At least one of the Russians.

Kostantinov's number is out of circulation (but it isn't retired) since his car crash and from the rest of Russians only Fedorov has both point totals and longevity as a Red Wing on par with Foote's and Hejduk's time in Colorado, but he didn't have a nice goodbye with Detroit IIRC.

Offdapost*

of course he is gonna get his number retired, he is Milan Hejduk!

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
Kostantinov's number is out of circulation (but it isn't retired) since his car crash and from the rest of Russians only Fedorov has both point totals and longevity as a Red Wing on par with Foote's and Hejduk's time in Colorado, but he didn't have a nice goodbye with Detroit IIRC.

I think Shanahan deserves to be there also.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I think Shanahan deserves to be there also.

Yeah he probably does, but he did play only 9 years there, while Hejduk is starting his 13th (all at pretty good level) and Foote played 13 years in Colorado plus 4 in Quebec, those two deserve it more than Shanahan IMHO.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
Yeah he probably does, but he did play only 9 years there, while Hejduk is starting his 13th (all at pretty good level) and Foote played 13 years in Colorado plus 4 in Quebec, those two deserve it more than Shanahan IMHO.

I never alledged the opposite;)

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
I think Foote's is retired the first game next season and Hejduk is the year after (depending on if he's still playing or not).

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Milan decided to hang on two more seasons after this. Unless his skills erode, and they sure haven't yet, I'd love to see him play a few more. Surely he must be rooted in Denver now, right? And he'd still only be 37 or 38 when he hung 'em up.

iAvs

JUST WIN
Mar 1, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
www.flickr.com

I agree with that. Bourque was an instant hero, and it was a great story. I think it was a little overboard to retire his number though. If he was with the team 5 years earlier... then I'd have no problem with it.

To me, he was a super rental. He gave the team a mission in 2001; Cup or Bust. 16W.
But, to me, he'll always be a Bruin. The Avs were just the icing on the cake for his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad