Milan Hejduk's Number and the Rafters

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
In my opinion, yes I think they will.

I really hope they do. He's played his whole career here and has given his all every game. I think he deserves it.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
If he stays with the Avs for the rest of his career, for sure.

Will be over 1000 games if he plays next year, well above anybody else. Not to mention he's the only Av to win the Rocket Richard.

ManOnTheMoon

Hejdas Gonna Hejd
Aug 7, 2009
Omaha, Nebraska
I'm absolutely in favor of it. Hejduk is seen as a notch below the fabled Sakic, Forsberg, Foote, and Roy. But honestly, he was the first purely Avalanche star. Not a Nordique, not acquired in a trade, 100% Colorado. It would just be wrong to see anyone else in #23. That number is as his as much as 19, or 21, or 33, or 52 are to those respective players.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
It's not even a question. He will be. He stayed here is entire carreer. The Avs will thank him by doing this and being one of the best pure goal scorer that this team has had.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
100% guaranteed. Just look at his production, success, loyalty, and commitment to this organization. No doubt whatsoever.

DetRedWings109*

They should. He was part of the Avs Stanley Cup team and its not like he was a scrub.

member 116861

If Ray Bourque can somehow get his number retired than Hejduk better get his number retired.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He should get his numbers in the rafters, I think theres a good chance they will.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Sort of like Montreal and Toronto haha.

Montreal has like 14. Toronto only technically has 2, but there are 9 others that can't be worn.

Interesting, every number from 1-35 has been retired by someone, except 13, 26, 28 and 34. No teams have any of those. (the only others retired are 66, 77, 99)

Edit: It's also weird to me that Colorado didn't honour the Nordiques number retirements even a little bit. I could see an exception for Stastny, but all of the numbers are currently being worn.(3, 8, 16, 26)

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland
Montreal has like 14. Toronto only technically has 2, but there are 9 others that can't be worn.

Interesting, every number from 1-35 has been retired by someone, except 13, 26, 28 and 34. No teams have any of those. (the only others retired are 66, 77, 99)

Edit: It's also weird to me that Colorado didn't honour the Nordiques number retirements even a little bit. I could see an exception for Stastny, but all of the numbers are currently being worn.(3, 8, 16, 26)

26 should be retired soon by the Stars. Suprised that 34 isn't retired anywhere since it's pretty common.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I don't even know how this is a question??? Bourque is in the rafters :laugh:

Foote should get there too imo

I think Foote would have had his # retired opening night, if it weren't for Forsbergs's comeback/retirement.

Hejduk will absolutely have his # retired. Currently, he ranks third in franchise history in games played (910), is fourth in goals (357) and points (757), and fifth in assists (400). He is the franchise’s all-time leader in regular season overtime goals with nine, and has 59 career game-winning tallies.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I don't even know how this is a question??? Bourque is in the rafters :laugh:

Foote should get there too imo

19, 21, 23, 33, 52, 77

That's a lot of numbers retired in a short time span. Especially considering other teams won more in the same amount of time. Bourque's 77 shouldn't be up there but its a tough call to say any of the other 5 can't be retired.

Jimmy Carter

Avs/Leafs fan
Jul 24, 2010
Western NY
I'm absolutely in favor of it. Hejduk is seen as a notch below the fabled Sakic, Forsberg, Foote, and Roy. But honestly, he was the first purely Avalanche star. Not a Nordique, not acquired in a trade, 100% Colorado. It would just be wrong to see anyone else in #23. That number is as his as much as 19, or 21, or 33, or 52 are to those respective players.

Well said, my feelings exactly.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I think Foote would have had his # retired opening night, if it weren't for Forsbergs's comeback/retirement.

Hejduk will absolutely have his # retired. Currently, he ranks third in franchise history in games played (910), is fourth in goals (357) and points (757), and fifth in assists (400). He is the franchise’s all-time leader in regular season overtime goals with nine, and has 59 career game-winning tallies.

Interesting...the people in that position in all other franchises, are their numbers retired?(serious question by the way, just wondering what the bar seems to be league wide) Obviously there are some well below those totals who have them retired, but then again the teams are much older usually.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Having Bourque's number up there is weird since he only played 128 games (reg. season + playoffs) for the Avs but why does it really matter?

There are only three players who wear #77 right now and Bourque is the only player to ever wear #77 for the Avs. It's not like it's a very common number that we retired.

As for the thread, the answer is yes. Hejduk should definitely have his number retired. Foote should be next and then Hejduk after him.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
No doubt in my mind that 23 will be up there alongside 77, 33, 19, 21 and (soon to be) 52. Hejduk more than deserves it. But I really hope Hejduk plays another year, since so far he has looked amazing.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He belongs up there with the rest of guys, I'll be really disappointed if his jersey isn't retired.

Most games played by an Avs player, 2nd in goals, 2nd in points etc, he deserves it without a doubt in my mind.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
There's no question. His numbers alone guarantee it, but even aside from those, his time with the club earns him the honor. Put the two together and it is a no-brainer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->