Mikko Rantanen the first Finn to reach 70 points since Selanne 2010-11

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I did not state that Mackinnon is carrying Rantanen. I said his stats are substantially inflated by playing with Mackinnon. No doubt Mackinnon also benefits of playing with Rantanen.

Let's say Rantanen was playing in the 2nd line with much worse guys than Mackinnon and Landeskog, do you really think his stats would then be comparable to eg. Laine, who has been having the "2nd line treatment" this season? I don't think so. That's why I said his stats are substantially inflated.

A) Mikko’s stats could well be even better if he was taking more shots himself and getting to hold onto the puck for longer

B) Laine’s “2nd line treatment” still includes being the lynchpin of their top PP unit, and playing with really good players.

So if Mikko kept his spot on the right half boards on the PP as well as getting to drive his own line with the kind of talent WPG has for its’ second line...while teams put all of their attention on MacKinnon’s unit? His production may be even better :dunno:

Reactions: Lemonlimey

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
That’s not particularly true tbf.
In general opposing teams match their first pairing against a teams top line. There are obviously times where 2nd,3rd And even fourth lines face 1st pairing d men and 1st line forwards but as a whole I think my point is correct. Rantanen probably faces tougher competition 5v5.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
@cgf

Not sure what you are meaning with lynchpin in this context, but if you do think they are using him in PP1 like Caps are using Ovie, you should watch Jets play. Hint: they don't. Laine is getting a surprisingly low amount of passes on PP1. Jets PP1 is all about Wheeler and Buff keeping the puck and trying to feed Scheifele (if healthy) in the middle or shooting themselves. And then occasionally try to find Laine.

You can probably count with your fingers all the occasions Buff did even try to feed Laine this season. And still you can find couple of those from highlights when Laine buries those.

Judging by your post last page you don't have a clue about what kind of player (playmaker, passer, IQ/vision) Laine is other than having that lethal shot arsenal. I'm 100% that when Laine hits the same age than Rantanen, he will surpass him in most areas of the game. Stastny for example was really surprised after playing couple of game with Laine as he stated that everybody is just talking about his shot but that he was amazed by his IQ.

But enough about Laine as this thread is dedicated to Rantanen having a great season to rave about and also having a really bright future. He is #3 Finnish player in my papers from this season on, and the only reason for that "low" spot is that there are those 2 spectacular, super special players around.

Reactions: mattihp and QnebO

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
@cgf

Not sure what you are meaning with lynchpin in this context, but if you do think they are using him in PP1 like Caps are using Ovie, you should watch Jets play. Hint: they don't. Laine is getting a surprisingly low amount of passes on PP1. Jets PP1 is all about Wheeler and Buff keeping the puck and trying to feed Scheifele (if healthy) in the middle or shooting themselves. And then occasionally try to find Laine.

You can probably count with your fingers all the occasions Buff did even try to feed Laine this season. And still you can find couple of those from highlights when Laine buries those.

Judging by your post last page you don't have a clue about what kind of player (playmaker, passer, IQ/vision) Laine is other than having that lethal shot arsenal. I'm 100% that when Laine hits the same age than Rantanen, he will surpass him in most areas of the game. Stastny for example was really surprised after playing couple of game with Laine as he stated that everybody is just talking about his shot but that he was amazed by his IQ.

But enough about Laine as this thread is dedicated to Rantanen having a great season to rave about and also having a really bright future. He is #3 Finnish player in my papers from this season on, and the only reason for that "low" spot is that there are those 2 spectacular, super special players around.

Laine has great vision and his playmaking passing abilities is criminally underrated.

Reactions: Halberdier

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’d like to see some number cause he’s been fed plenty in the dozen games of his I’ve seen this season.

He’s not just a shot or he’d be Yakupov. But that still doesn’t put him on Rantanen’s level for creativity or defensive play *shrug*

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Right now we're at maybe the greatest state of Finnish hockey ever
i dont know about that. its definitwly on an upswing. it was pretty bad for about a decade. but theyve got some great youth now. still a ways to go till these youngsters reach the selanne years.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I don't know, I've never been sold on Rantanen. He just comes off as a glorified jobber mooching off of playing with MacKinnon. If he was the real deal he would've been drafted higher...

You also said that Doug Weight is an elite coach!

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
I've been really impressed by Mikko this year, i never thought he would be hitting these point totals this early into his career, my only question about him is if he can be the driving force on his line, does he need Mac to be this effective or can he be this effective on his own? Would he have 74 points if he wasn't playing with Mac?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I've been really impressed by Mikko this year, i never thought he would be hitting these point totals this early into his career, my only question about him is if he can be the driving force on his line, does he need Mac to be this effective or can he be this effective on his own? Would he have 74 points if he wasn't playing with Mac?

They are both pushing each other to levels they haven't been before. It's a team work by them.

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
Yeah, Rantanen without MacKinnon probably wouldn't score as many points as he scored to this moment.

But still being on pace for 87 pts as 21yo is amazing result.

Last 20 seasons, only three 21yo wingers scored over 85pts.

Kovalchuk, Oviechkin (as 20yo), Oviechkin, Kane.

Even if comparing this season to Kovalchuk's one isn't fair because of having MacKinnon as C, it still shows how amazing Rantanen is.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Rantanen without Mack is probably around a 60+ point player this year which is really good still (I think Mack would still put up crazy numbers without rants)

Doesn't really matter though, they'll be playing together for a long long time

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Rantanen without Mack is probably around a 60+ point player this year which is really good still (I think Mack would still put up crazy numbers without rants)

Doesn't really matter though, they'll be playing together for a long long time
Mac would not produce crazy numbers without Rantanen. Good numbers and few great solo goals but not the same numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad