Mikko Rantanen the first Finn to reach 70 points since Selanne 2010-11

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Ville Peltonen had below average NHL career and he was one of the biggest names in Finland. Everyone knew who Peltonen is because he won a WHC gold. Jere Lehtinen is another great example as had great NHL career but no one remembers him because of his NHL career but because of his WHC gold too. His number retirement was of course a big thing, but thats about it.

It is very sad actually.

I don´t know if it´s sad. I do enjoy NHL and I hope that Finns are doing good there. But it´s team sport and I don´t have favourite team. I just can´t get that much kick out of indivual players success.

This apply to many Finns. I´m not really patriotic or anything but Finnish NT is team that I root for. And there is usually where the Heroes and Legends are made. And the main media writes for these people. But if you go to actual sport/hockey focused media I would say Rantanen gets fair share of the "hype".

To the topic. Haven´t really seen him play much this season but I admitt I may have been wrong. He did seem more of the old Finnish prototype. Second line supporting player with a grit.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I don´t know if it´s sad. I do enjoy NHL and I hope that Finns are doing good there. But it´s team sport and I don´t have favourite team. I just can´t get that much kick out of indivual players success.

This apply to many Finns. I´m not really patriotic or anything but Finnish NT is team that I root for. And there is usually where the Heroes and Legends are made. And the main media writes for these people. But if you go to actual sport/hockey focused media I would say Rantanen gets fair share of the "hype".

To the topic. Haven´t really seen him play much this season but I admitt I may have been wrong. He did seem more of the old Finnish prototype. Second line supporting player with a grit.
Actually, yeah. You made a good point. I don't have a favourite team in the NHL either so I just hope Finns do very well in the NHL and someday we will win that olympic gold.

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
Rantanen without Mack is probably around a 60+ point player this year which is really good still (I think Mack would still put up crazy numbers without rants)

Doesn't really matter though, they'll be playing together for a long long time
No, there's no way Rantanen is 60+ type of player without Mack. He's 85-90 point player this year (on pace for 87pts, that's crazy) and without MacKinnon he would be 75-80 points type of guy.

The same people were saying about Panarin and impact of Kane on his game. First season - 77 pts (Kane - 109), second season - 74 pts (Kane - 89), third season - on pace for 73 pts despite the fact that second best Columbus forward is Dubois. Who's quite solid as NHL player already but nowhere near talent Panarin had in Chicago.

Even taking into account higher scoring pace this year, that's saying a lot. You know what I mean? Rantanen is already elite and his production will be elite no matter with who he plays. The same with Panarin. He's not like second liner whose production grow because of giving him chance to play with better players.

He's an elite winger already in age of 21. And no one is denying how good for his development is playing alongside MacKinnon, but in fact they both are a reason why this first line of Colorado is that dangerous, and take benefits for playing with each other.

Reactions: Lemonlimey and cgf

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
In recent time it s unaccustomed situation for me!
I look to NHL Scorer list and i don t must to scroll to find the finns.
15 Rantanen and 17 Barkov,25 Laine. In Top 100 7 Finns!
The future is bright(Tolvanen,Vesalainen,Heiskanen,Heponiemi etc. are coming soon).

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
Ville Peltonen had below average NHL career and he was one of the biggest names in Finland. Everyone knew who Peltonen is because he won a WHC gold. Jere Lehtinen is another great example as had great NHL career but no one remembers him because of his NHL career but because of his WHC gold too. His number retirement was of course a big thing, but thats about it.

It is very sad actually.

To be honest, Peltonen is a leader of all time points in Finnish NT and has been a remarkable player for Leijonat. He also has very good leadership skills and was at his best when the game was in line. It's no wonder people know him.

But back to the topic; I knew Rantanen was good, but I thought his ceiling was 30-30 winger. His development has been really great :)

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Always thought he would become Voracek-like player but this is just crazy. Already one of the better wingers in the game.

Reactions: cgf

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
To be honest, Peltonen is a leader of all time points in Finnish NT and has been a remarkable player for Leijonat. He also has very good leadership skills and was at his best when the game was in line. It's no wonder people know him.

But back to the topic; I knew Rantanen was good, but I thought his ceiling was 30-30 winger. His development has been really great :)
Pretty sure it's Helminen

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Didn't feel like making a thread on Rantanen hitting the 80 point mark. But he did last night on his 27th goal. What a year for the 21 year old Finnish phenom.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad