Mikko Rantanen the first Finn to reach 70 points since Selanne 2010-11

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
With recording the assist last game, Mikko Rantanen is the first Finn to reach 70 points in a season since Selanne 2010-2011.

Of active Finnish players, Mikko Koivu has reached it once in his career (71pts 2009-2010).

Does this tell more about Rantanen or the sad state of Finnish hockey?

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well, Barkov will hit it too.

I think Finnish hockey was in a lull, but if you look at recent national teams there will be a comeback.

There have always been a few awesome fins in the NHL anyways, personally I loved olli jokinen even though he didn't score as much for the flames as panthers (which is reasonable, considering he was beast his prime)

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
With recording the assist last game, Mikko Rantanen is the first Finn to reach 70 points in a season since Selanne 2010-2011.

Of active Finnish players, Mikko Koivu has reached it once in his career (71pts 2009-2010).

Does this tell more about Rantanen or the sad state of Finnish hockey?
Right now we're at maybe the greatest state of Finnish hockey ever

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Can't remember which poster it is, but I remember there's one Finnish dude who's been ragging on Rantanen since he's been drafted. Stating how he'll never be more than a 40 point player, he's soft, lazy, etc. He's been pretty quiet lately though.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
my dead cat could put up 70p with MacKinnon

Don´t be fooled, Rantanen is not that good anyway.
What does he need to do to get some recognition? He's a 21 year old on pace for 84 points. He's great. He's not gone more than two games in a row without points even though MacK was injured. Very consistent.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Is Avalance the team with the largest proportion of points created by the first line? Often when they win, the first line has players with three or four points...

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Obviously Rantanen's stats are substantially inflated by Mackinnon. I don't think anyone disputes this. Still, your "dead cat" or an average player is not producing 70 points with less games. Great season for Rantanen so far.

To me, Barkov's and Laine's (65 points btw.) seasons are more impressive so far.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
I was going to put a thoughtful post into this thread until I see you say it was due to the "sad" state of Finnish hockey.

Finnish hockey is stronger than ever. Finland is doing a damn fine job producing world class talent.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Congrats to Mikko on a great season.

But yeah it pretty much tells the whole story where Finnish hockey is trending right now. 7 years since someone had 70 pts and we're likely going to have 3 players hit it this year. Feelsgoodman

Reactions: razor8 and FVM

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Obviously Rantanen's stats are substantially inflated by Mackinnon. I don't think anyone disputes this. Still, your "dead cat" or an average player is not producing 70 points with less games. Great season for Rantanen so far.

MacKinnon is my favourite for the Hart Trophy. On paper I feel like the line he is on is the perfect combination to bring out his talents, I would like to think that Rantanen helped him really break out.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
To me, Barkov’s the best of the new finnish wave of NHL-players. Happy for Finland that they’ve produced so many talanted players the last couple of years.

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad