Mikko Rantanen Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
That's a tough question. I honestly do not know. It would be McDavid first, Eichel second but after that it's hard to go wrong by picking one of Provorov, Werenski, Rantanen, Barzal or Boeser IMO. And Hanifin, Marner and Aho definitely belong to the conversation as well.

I honestly don’t know if I would pick Eichel over Rants. Rants just seems like a way better person and chiller dude. Maybe I’m way off here but I just don’t like Eichel for whatever reason. Maybe it’s his face.

Mack-Eichel would be an insane 1-2 punch but also given Mack, I’d rather have an elite winger for him.

I’d probably go:
McDavid
Provorov
Rantanen
Werenski
Barzal
Boeser

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I honestly don’t know if I would pick Eichel over Rants. Rants just seems like a way better person and chiller dude. Maybe I’m way off here but I just don’t like Eichel for whatever reason. Maybe it’s his face.

Mack-Eichel would be an insane 1-2 punch but also given Mack, I’d rather have an elite winger for him.

I’d probably go:
McDavid
Provorov
Rantanen
Werenski
Barzal
Boeser

Eichel is the epitome of Northeastern frat boy hockey player and he comes off a bit douchey to me. So I totally get where your coming from with that, but I still think he’s the 2nd or 3rd best player from this draft.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Eichel is the epitome of Northeastern frat boy hockey player and he comes off a bit *****ey to me. So I totally get where your coming from with that, but I still think he’s the 2nd or 3rd best player from this draft.

Dude, that’s it! Can totally picture him with a neon polo, popped collar, khakis and some sperrys.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Dude, that’s it! Can totally picture him with a neon polo, popped collar, khakis and some sperrys.

I’ve seen pictures of him off the rink and he’ll have the salmon colored pants rolled up to the ankle with his Sperrys on and a polo shirt. He just embodies it :laugh:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Eichel is easily the 2nd best player of that draft, he'll outgrow whatever douchevibes he's throwing off right now. IMO it goes:

1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3.Provorov
4-7. Werenski/Rantanen/Boeser/Barzal

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Eichel is easily the 2nd best player of that draft, he'll outgrow whatever *****evibes he's throwing off right now. IMO it goes:

1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3.Provorov
4-7. Werenski/Rantanen/Boeser/Barzal
Easily? His career high is 57 points

I asked this before and got no answer: How many players have signed long term extension one year before their ELC expired? I can only remeber McDavid and Eichel, but i'm sure there are others. Still, i think its very rare.

Landeskog is one

Reactions: Ippenator

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, even if his career high is 57 (in 61 games), it is pretty clear to see on the ice he is a legit #1C with huge upside. If he stays healthy for a full season next year, he will be a 85+ point center that is solid in both ends. That is quite easily the 2nd best player in the draft so far... and honestly one of the better centers in the league.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Easily? His career high is 57 points

You sound like the posters that bashed Mackinnon the year before. Eichel has 53 points in 57 games.

The Sabres have scored 172 goals this year with 10 games left. For reference, the Avs scored 166 goals last year. Just because he plays for the worst team in the league doesn't mean you can discount his talent or abilities.

Reactions: paragon

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
56 in 82 for his rookie season, 57 in 61 during his sophomore, and 54 in 57 this season. Outside of McDavid he's still the 2nd best player from the draft, for sure.

Reactions: klozge

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Provorov is the only one who can challenge that #2 spot IMO. He looks like he can become a top 10 defender in the league coming up in the next 5 years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Lots of IFs there. To say there's not even a discussion is a stretch.

The single IF for Eichel is health. A healthy Eichel is a fringe top 10 NHL center at 21. Rants could be the top RW in the entire league and it would still be trumped by being a franchise center.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, Eichel's #2 and he'll only get better. Rantanen can hold his own against most of the players in his draft though.

I'm just glad people can no longer talk about all of these young franchise centers around the league without mentioning MacKinnon. IMO, the only one currently better than him is McDavid.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
56 in 82 for his rookie season, 57 in 61 during his sophomore, and 54 in 57 this season. Outside of McDavid he's still the 2nd best player from the draft, for sure.
You sound like the posters that bashed Mackinnon the year before. Eichel has 53 points in 57 games.

The Sabres have scored 172 goals this year with 10 games left. For reference, the Avs scored 166 goals last year. Just because he plays for the worst team in the league doesn't mean you can discount his talent or abilities.
After three seasons(almost) he is still only a 57 point player. That's a fact. So I understand why some people are starting to question his status as a locked second best player, or should I say choice, from the 2015 draft.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
After three seasons(almost) he is still only a 57 point player. That's a fact. So I understand why some people are starting to question his status as a locked second best player, or should I say choice, from the 2015 draft.

Except you're completely ignoring the fact he's had a serious injury the past 2 seasons. If it wasn't for injuries there'd be no question he's #2. Last two years he's been right on the edge of being PPG on a God awful Sabres team.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Except you're completely ignoring the fact he's had a serious injury the past 2 seasons. If it wasn't for injuries there'd be no question he's #2. Last two years he's been right on the edge of being PPG on a God awful Sabres team.
You don't get my point. He's a 57 point player right now. You can say he's the best in the world but that doesn't change the fact. Some players get for example injured more than others. Their value goes down no matter if you are labeled franchise center.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You don't get my point. He's a 57 point player right now. You can say he's the best in the world but that doesn't change the fact. Some players get for example injured more than others. Their value goes down no matter if you are labeled franchise center.

Such a misleading way to present things... you can say Jordan Eberle is a near PPG player because of some of the numbers that he put up, but not a single GM in the league would swap those two.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

I get your point I just don't agree with it. His career high is 57 points yes but I wouldn't label Eichel as a 57 point player.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

He had 57 in 61 last year and is 54 in 57 this year on the Sabres, a disaster of a team. He doesn’t have the two injuries he had the last 2 years he’s an 80 point player on one of he worst teams in the league. That’s impressive and he’s easily a #1C, his injury history might devalue him a little bit, but it doesn’t change the fact that he’s the 2nd best player from that draft and clearly one of the best C’s in the league

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
He had 57 in 61 last year and is 54 in 57 this year on the Sabres, a disaster of a team. He doesn’t have the two injuries he had the last 2 years he’s an 80 point player on one of he worst teams in the league. That’s impressive and he’s easily a #1C, his injury history might devalue him a little bit, but it doesn’t change the fact that he’s the 2nd best player from that draft and clearly one of the best C’s in the league
I get that. But this wasn't about who's the best this was about who would you draft. And I would draft all day long let's say the fifth best who plays rather than the best who's not playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad