Mikko Rantanen - MOOSE - 96

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Think about it like this: He's already a top 10 player in the league as is, and you still see many ways he can improve. This guy has no ceiling, he could become the best player in the league.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
People that are not seeing the difference in his game (not production, I say again game not production) since the trades were not paying attention...regardless of how many points he was and is currently scoring.

Reactions: Murzu and BrickNHL

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Looking like back-to-back 100 point seasons and if you include pacing, that’s 4, or 5 100 point pace seasons in his career.

Special talent for sure. Nice to see his scoring touch getting back to usual form with the playoffs approaching.

Reactions: Avs_19

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Yep.

The last 5 games:
-8 goals
-13 points
-4 x 1st star of the game

That's simply not good enough because there were few times that he didn't skate as hard as Cogliano, Wood and you know, other depth players.

We want more of those guys and less these Rantanen guys so we can win another cup.

Yours truly,
The Avs board
It really confuses me how you want to warp the narrative just to 'dunk' on your fellow brothers in arms just because many have a different perspective/opinion than you.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I'm not sure he's really an Avs fan. He's more like the Finnish equivalent of those guys who wear American flag underwear.
It's a tradition and a meme here that hockey fans who "follow" the NHL only check how many points the Finnish players scored the previous night.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Looking like back-to-back 100 point seasons and if you include pacing, that’s 4, or 5 100 point pace seasons in his career.

Special talent for sure. Nice to see his scoring touch getting back to usual form with the playoffs approaching.

The exact type of elite player you try to keep rather than trading for third line depth and I'm sure they'll find a way.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
It really confuses me how you want to warp the narrative just to 'dunk' on your fellow brothers in arms just because many have a different perspective/opinion than you.

What exactly is your perspective/opinion on him?

It blows my mind that people criticize him.

It's a tradition and a meme here that hockey fans who "follow" the NHL only check how many points the Finnish players scored the previous night.

But you take notes on how fast he skates or supposed “lack of effort” from each shift while he’s putting up 3 points a night?

I could care less if he is literally crawling on all 4’s on the ice as long as he is putting up elite scoring numbers.

Only Avalanche fans would find fault in a guy who has 96 points and is 6th in league scoring.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
But you take notes on how fast he skates or supposed “lack of effort” from each shift while he’s putting up 3 points a night?

I could care less if he is literally crawling on all 4’s on the ice as long as he is putting up elite scoring numbers.

Only Avalanche fans would find fault in a guy who has 96 points and is 6th in league scoring.
This is such a typical post from you.
Points! Points! Points! Nothing else matters. Give me.....................POINTS!

Last edited:

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Points! Points! Points! Nothing else matters. Give me.....................POINTS!

Yes. You’re right.

Does anything else matter more when it comes to our elite 1st line player?

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
To be fair, i think there is certain threshold when it comes to point production, that once you cross, you are kind of excused for your other downsized like worse defensive play, as the extra points you produce kind of make up for it. Mikko is surely past that threshold. I’d like to see the 100 point player with elite defense. Pretty sure MacK, McDavid, Kucherov, Draisaitl or Pasta are not that awesome in that regard either.

Seems lot of people here are convinced that 50/60ish player with strong defense is more critical to success than player like Mikko. Now, you certainly need those kind of players - the thing, we already have them. Nichuskin, now Mittelstadt, Lehkonen, Landeskog, if he ever returns. What we dont really have, aside of MacK, is another top talent, that wins you game on the basis of his sheer talent. Imagine we get rid of Mikko in favor of lesser players and MacK gets hurt for couple of months. You will be looking at Seattle 2.0. Is this what people want for Avs, what they see as the blueprint for success?

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Yes other things matter but you wouldn't be able to understand.
Do you mean if given the choice of who to build a team around between prime Bergeron/Kopitar or Rantanen, you’d probably pick the former and not the latter despite points? Craziness. Position and all around play are totally irrelevant

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

I said what matters MORE?

To be fair, i think there is certain threshold when it comes to point production, that once you cross, you are kind of excused for your other downsized like worse defensive play, as the extra points you produce kind of make up for it. Mikko is surely past that threshold. I’d like to see the 100 point player with elite defense. Pretty sure MacK, McDavid, Kucherov, Draisaitl or Pasta are not that awesome in that regard either.

Seems lot of people here are convinced that 50/60ish player with strong defense is more critical to success than player like Mikko. Now, you certainly need those kind of players - the thing, we already have them. Nichuskin, now Mittelstadt, Lehkonen, Landeskog, if he ever returns. What we dont really have, aside of MacK, is another top talent, that wins you game on the basis of his sheer talent. Imagine we get rid of Mikko in favor of lesser players and MacK gets hurt for couple of months. You will be looking at Seattle 2.0. Is this what people want for Avs, what they see as the blueprint for success?

Sane, logical posts are not allowed in here.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
This board absolutely destroys Drai(rightfully so) for how awful he is off the puck and he is more productive(well not this year) than Mikko. It's at least consistent regardless if it's right or not.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I’m not going to get into the hostility of this debate, but yeah, if you score 100 points the rest of the stuff doesn’t mean shit.

Patrick Kane hasn’t played a lick of defence his entire career and he was a lynch pin on dynasty Hawks team.

Mikko’s defence has been legit bad this year, but in years past it’s been passable, even good at times. Rantanen obviously offers more than points to with his ability to win board battles too.

And I’ll stand by this… I see effort from Mikko, I think his legs simply let him down sometimes. Girard is very similar.

The fact that Mikko is going to go down as one of the all-time great Avs snd gets treated pretty poorly by the fan base is disappointing.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I’m not going to get into the hostility of this debate, but yeah, if you score 100 points the rest of the stuff doesn’t mean shit.

Patrick Kane hasn’t played a lick of defence his entire career and he was a lynch pin on dynasty Hawks team.

Mikko’s defence has been legit bad this year, but in years past it’s been passable, even good at times. Rantanen obviously offers more than points to with his ability to win board battles too.

And I’ll stand by this… I see effort from Mikko, I think his legs simply let him down sometimes. Girard is very similar.

The fact that Mikko is going to go down as one of the all-time great Avs snd gets treated pretty poorly by the fan base is disappointing.

If he comes in at, say, 12M, thats not a huge increase. Yeah, for elite level players, it's easy to justify accommodating this.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
What exactly is your perspective/opinion on him?

It blows my mind that people criticize him.

Ow I'm taking strays here. I'm a big Rantanen fan. I'm not a big fan of Rantanen fans.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Do you mean if given the choice of who to build a team around between prime Bergeron/Kopitar or Rantanen, you’d probably pick the former and not the latter despite points? Craziness. Position and all around play are totally irrelevant

If your 1C is only putting up 50-70 points they better play elite D.

If your 1C is only putting up 50-70 points and offering nothing else you won’t win many games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad