Mikko Rantanen - MOOSE - 96

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Typically HoF players have to hit a few bigger milestones (500g, 1000pts for forwards), get an individual award or two, be a top 5 player in at their position for a 6-8 years. Mikko is on his way to 1000 points, but doesn't have the individual award. He's been trending to being a top 5 player. So he has 2/3. So IMO for HoF, he needs to win an individual award or get 500 goals. He's fringe at this point, but a couple steps and he can.

Makar is already a lock, full stop.

MacK is the most curious... he's got a better path to 500 goals, but has a worse injury history. His individual award is kinda meh. Has been a top 5 player at his position for roughly the same time frame as Rants. Another Cup or individual award would likely seal it up... but if he gets injured and his career ended in 2 years, he likely wouldn't be.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Typically HoF players have to hit a few bigger milestones (500g, 1000pts for forwards), get an individual award or two, be a top 5 player in at their position for a 6-8 years. Mikko is on his way to 1000 points, but doesn't have the individual award. He's been trending to being a top 5 player. So he has 2/3. So IMO for HoF, he needs to win an individual award or get 500 goals. He's fringe at this point, but a couple steps and he can.

Makar is already a lock, full stop.

MacK is the most curious... he's got a better path to 500 goals, but has a worse injury history. His individual award is kinda meh. Has been a top 5 player at his position for roughly the same time frame as Rants. Another Cup or individual award would likely seal it up... but if he gets injured and his career ended in 2 years, he likely wouldn't be.
I doubt Mack wouldn't make it even if his career ended after a few seasons. He has been considered a top 5 player for some time now and has massive playoff production.

Worse players get in regularly, even those who get their careers cut short like Cam Neely.

Mikko is the biggest question mark. He needs to have a long career to make it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I doubt Mack wouldn't make it even if his career ended after a few seasons. He has been considered a top 5 player for some time now and has massive playoff production.

Worse players get in regularly, even those who get their careers cut short like Cam Neely.

Mikko is the biggest question mark. He needs to have a long career to make it.
The big issues working against MacK are no big individual awards and he doesn't hit any of the typical stat metrics (yet). I'd say he's likely to hit them though.

Neely shouldn't be in the HoF and the HoF is rather inconsistent. Roenick and Mogilny are not in the HoF and more deserving players than Neeley by a long shot, especially Mogilny.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The big issues working against MacK are no big individual awards and he doesn't hit any of the typical stat metrics (yet). I'd say he's likely to hit them though.

Neely shouldn't be in the HoF and the HoF is rather inconsistent. Roenick and Mogilny are not in the HoF and more deserving players than Neeley by a long shot, especially Mogilny.
The Mogilny snub is just amazing to me. Dude even is a historically important player because of the great escape.

Mack has 3 x Hart finalist finishes, the 20-21 nomination is crap btw and Rantanen was the Avs best player imo. He has been widely considered a top 5 player the last 6 seasons and has one of the best playoff stats around. I don't see how he wouldn't make it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah I'm in the vast minority here but I still maintain this was bad coaching and leadership by Patrick Roy.
I get where Roy is coming from and agree in a sense. But I think that’s something you bring Dutchy into the office and talk about one on one. Putting him on blast on national television certainly isn’t the way to go about it. At least that’s not how I would’ve gone about it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I get where Roy is coming from and agree in a sense. But I think that’s something you bring Dutchy into the office and talk about one on one. Putting him on blast on national television certainly isn’t the way to go about it. At least that’s not how I would’ve gone about it.
My assumption would be that things were talked about before and Duchene being selfish as a player (and he clearly was) and caring more about stats… that just spilled over. Probably not right to do publicly, but I don’t think it was a one instance thing that set Roy off.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Mogilny should already be in the Hall.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My assumption would be that things were talked about before and Duchene being selfish as a player (and he clearly was) and caring more about stats… that just spilled over. Probably not right to do publicly, but I don’t think it was a one instance thing that set Roy off.
Didn’t see this before. Had an argument all typed to but ya know what? F**k it.

40 goals baby!!!!!

Reactions: The Moops

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Maybe his best season so far? I can't believe he might hit 50 goals. Truly amazing. I hope he does it!

It's time for Mack and Rantanen both hit 100 points..

Reactions: The Moops

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
So um, has Rantanen been the leagues worst top forward this season or what? Seemingly netting 100 points again, yet most GDTs have people complaining how dogshit his effort has been.

Oh, and him falling on his ass repeatedly really seems to annoy people too.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
So um, has Rantanen been the leagues worst top forward this season or what? Seemingly netting 100 points again, yet most GDTs have people complaining how dogshit his effort has been.

Oh, and him falling on his ass repeatedly really seems to annoy people too.

Best right winger in the entire NHL, and I'd argue the fact with anyone who would disagree.

We literally have the best:
1. Center
2. Right Wing
3. Defenseman

In the entire league. It's crazy how lucky we are.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Yep.

The last 5 games:
-8 goals
-13 points
-4 x 1st star of the game

That's simply not good enough because there were few times that he didn't skate as hard as Cogliano, Wood and you know, other depth players.

We want more of those guys and less these Rantanen guys so we can win another cup.

Yours truly,
The Avs board
You are a true professor of hockey.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
There's been a marked improvement in his game since the Walker/Mitts trades, and if you haven't seen it you're not paying attention. He's clearly skating harder and it was nice to see him drive his own line in the 3rd vs. the Blue Jackets - let's hope to see that continue so he doesn't defer to MacKinnon.

last 7 games (since the trades): 17 points - includes one scoreless games

It's also important to note that in the 3 games he played under 22 mins, he tallied 11 points,

Perhaps.. increased depth actually improved his production?!:eek3:

It's funny because it's EXACTLY his ability to do this that makes him so frustrating. If he was consistent in his effort he'd be in the discussion for best player in the league - yes very Jagr-eqsue. He's certainly got the talent and physical attributes. It's great to see and let's hope it continues, but it's definitely the first time we've seen it this season.

It feels weird to throw this in people's faces though? Like we are clearly all rooting for him to play his best, that's never been part of the discussion :huh:😅

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
There's been a marked improvement in his game since the Walker/Mitts trades, and if you haven't seen it you're not paying attention. He's clearly skating harder and it was nice to see him drive his own line in the 3rd vs. the Blue Jackets - let's hope to see that continue so he doesn't defer to MacKinnon.

last 7 games (since the trades): 17 points - includes one scoreless games

It's also important to note that in the 3 games he played under 22 mins, he tallied 11 points,

Perhaps.. increased depth actually improved his production?!:eek3:

It's funny because it's EXACTLY his ability to do this that makes him so frustrating. If he was consistent in his effort he'd be in the discussion for best player in the league - yes very Jagr-eqsue. He's certainly got the talent and physical attributes. It's great to see and let's hope it continues, but it's definitely the first time we've seen it this season.

It feels weird to throw this in people's faces though? Like we are clearly all rooting for him to play his best, that's never been part of the discussion :huh:😅
Rantanen hated Byram now confirmed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad