Speculation: Mikko Rantanen Mega Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The Laine contract makes Marner look even more like an outlier. Rantanen must be coming down.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Sakic should definitely get 8 years here. Rants is the real deal and it will look like a great deal in a season or two tops if its 11m. Avs arent up against the cap and have great structure heading forward so it would be good to have cost certainty on a top guy

I agree with this, 8 years. Out of all the RFAs this summer, he seems like the safest best to me (outside of Matthews, but he signed prior, so doesn't count).

Point? He was never supposed to be so good - and only has one "great" season of 90 points, before that was ~60 points. Need 1 more year to see he can truly deliver that ~90 points consistently before being paid long term really high.
Marner? Well - he had 90+ points and unlike Point was expected to be so good offensively. Less of a risk than Point, but still with only 1 season at that level, a bit of a risk.
Laine - better start to career than any of them in first 2 years, but last year hit such a wall after Nov that it's scary...so, definitely some risk there.

Ranta just hit 2 seasons back to back of ppg+. Not only that - he's been instrumental in helping Mack take a step forward as probably a top 5 player in the whole league.

I think Ranat is a very safe bet long-term moving forward. No reason to do a bridge - sign him for 8 years long-term is what i'd think.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The Laine contract makes Marner look even more like an outlier. Rantanen must be coming down.

Laine, Point and many others made sense to do a bridge deal.

Marner and Ranta are less necessary for bridge, as they're more proven/less risk. It's true Marner got paid a lot, but 6 years is pretty long-term. It wouldn't make sense to bridge Ranta - and if you don't bridge him, he should get paid a lot.

Reactions: cgf

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Laine, Point and many others made sense to do a bridge deal.

Marner and Ranta are less necessary for bridge, as they're more proven/less risk. It's true Marner got paid a lot, but 6 years is pretty long-term. It wouldn't make sense to bridge Ranta - and if you don't bridge him, he should get paid a lot.

Sure, but the definition of "a lot" is likely to wind up at less than 10m. With Point and Laine, even if they each sign big long-term deals next time around, those deals would have to be massive in order to catch up to the big Toronto signings in money over the same span of years (I think Point would need to make 15m, for instance, to equal Marner's pay over 6 years). So even though it's apples to oranges, they're not completely incomparable.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Rumored amount on some these NHL Rumors accounts is 9.7x6. That seems like a fair amount for both sides. I would imagine if around that amount and term.

Reactions: cgf and DFC

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Sure, but the definition of "a lot" is likely to wind up at less than 10m. With Point and Laine, even if they each sign big long-term deals next time around, those deals would have to be massive in order to catch up to the big Toronto signings in money over the same span of years (I think Point would need to make 15m, for instance, to equal Marner's pay over 6 years). So even though it's apples to oranges, they're not completely incomparable.

I agree that Point left a lot of money on the table. He could have gotten more - and he wont be able to recoup it in the future even if he signs a big contract in 3 years

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree that Point left a lot of money on the table. He could have gotten more - and he wont be able to recoup it in the future even if he signs a big contract in 3 years

Agreed, but Laine only took one year fewer than Point. So, while his contract is better, he still needs to get PAID to reach Marner money. And that only happens if he scores a ton of points.

Either way, it seems like Rantanen has a lot of non-Marner comparables now, even if Marner's the guy who got the long deal. It's not impossible to say, "Well, at 9.5, you're still likely to make more than Brayden Point and Patrick Laine over the long haul."

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The way you said "franchise player" was referring to singular, like the Avalanche only have 1. If you said "one of their two franchise players", no one would have said anything. It can easily be argued Rantanen is a franchise level player and the way your initial statement came off was throwing shade at MacKinnon whether you meant it or not. Just how it read.

Why would I say it like that?

Franchise tag gets used constantly, on teams that have multiple players at that level, never specially mentioning one of.

I'd get it if I'd say face of the franchise.

8 x 9.6 is my prediction

Would be .....ng awesome deal.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Why would I say it like that?

Franchise tag gets used constantly, on teams that have multiple players at that level, never specially mentioning one of.

I'd get it if I'd say face of the franchise.
"Franchise Tag" gets used in football, not here.

What is the point of 9 posts trying to defend your statement that everyone read the same way?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

We get it- point signed a cheap deal.

We haven’t yet seen another player on Marners level sign a 6 year deal during this rfa revolution began so we don’t have a set market yet.

For the record, Marner has been magical in preseason. He might just earn that deal.

Reactions: cgf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad