Speculation: Mikko Rantanen Mega Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
So we’ve got DNVR, Dater, and Eklund all saying it’s getting closer. I would love to believe they all verified that independently, but I’d bet it’s all based on the DNVR article.
Or the calendar.
Play the odds and suggest a deal is struck prior to opening night which is the case for nearly every negotiation.

yrttijorma

Apr 6, 2008
He's at Switzerland, training with Bern. But anyway, doesn't happen overnight that he's suddenly in Colorado next day.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If he wanted 8 years in the mid 9 mill range I'd have done it for sure already, however I'm assuming it's got alot to do with setting a precident with guys like landy, makar, timmins, and grubauer signing soon

No kidding.

Stupid playing with your franchise player like this.

yrttijorma

Apr 6, 2008
If he wanted 8 years in the mid 9 mill range I'd have done it for sure already, however I'm assuming it's got alot to do with setting a precident with guys like landy, makar, timmins, and grubauer signing soon

If the contract term is 8 years, the AAV should be higher than 9.5M. It should be close to 11M. Marner got 6x ~11M. If that's an overpayment, fine. But 8 x 11M wouldn't be for Rantanen. And that contract would be cheap in the next 3 years after the new TV deal kicking in.

Reactions: Backcheckmonster3

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
No kidding.

Stupid playing with your franchise player like this.
giphy.gif

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I love how people are calling Sakic an idiot without knowing the outcome. Just like he was an idiot for waiting too long to trade Duchene I guess.

Sakic will get his way again.

That is true. Sakic was the biggest idiot on the planet in his handling of Duchene right up until he wasn’t.

From where we’re sitting, I don’t know how anyone can be sure who is being unreasonable.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
That is true. Sakic was the biggest idiot on the planet in his handling of Duchene right up until he wasn’t.

From where we’re sitting, I don’t know how anyone can be sure who is being unreasonable.
Coming from a Leafs fan who watched the Marner and Nylander drama; no matter what, Sakic handled it poorly. He overpaid, overplayed his hand, not enough term, too much term, too much AAV etc. Hes an idiot no matter what.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Serious question. Does Mikko’s contract affect the economy or the residents of Finland in any way?

I’ve never witnessed a group of people so adamant on a hockey player getting paid like I what’s going on here. It’s not all Finnish fans, but there’s a group on here screaming about how he needs to get Marner money and things like that. Maybe they’re relatives or something but it’s definitely odd.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Serious question. Does Mikko’s contract affect the economy or the residents of Finland in any way?

I’ve never witnessed a group of people so adamant on a hockey player getting paid like I what’s going on here. It’s not all Finnish fans, but there’s a group on here screaming about how he needs to get Marner money and things like that. Maybe they’re relatives or something but it’s definitely odd.

There's definitely a big contingent of Finnish fans who have an exorbitant amount of pride in their guys. A high salary would be further validation of his status in the league, I guess.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I love how people are calling Sakic an idiot without knowing the outcome. Just like he was an idiot for waiting too long to trade Duchene I guess.

Sakic will get his way again.
Agreed.

To be fair though this is the advantage of playing in a smaller Market. In Toronto or Montreal the pressure to get your star players signed before the season start is immense.

The best case scenrario: Rantanen cave in and sign a discounted contract and give long term flexibility to Colorado.

The worst case scenario: Colorado lose a key player for this year and potentially force Rantanen to sign an offersheet

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Mackinnon is their franchise player. Not even slightly debatable.

So Boston has just 1 franchise level player?

Out of prime Chara/Bergeron/Marchand trio, nor is Pasta one?

Great comparison. 10 out of 10.

Mikko is amazing, but to suggest he is on the same level as Nate is so outlandish it boggles the mind.

Who's said he is today?

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
So Boston has just 1 franchise level player?

Out of prime Chara/Bergeron/Marchand trio, nor is Pasta one?

Who's said he is today?
The way you said "franchise player" was referring to singular, like the Avalanche only have 1. If you said "one of their two franchise players", no one would have said anything. It can easily be argued Rantanen is a franchise level player and the way your initial statement came off was throwing shade at MacKinnon whether you meant it or not. Just how it read.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Sakic should definitely get 8 years here. Rants is the real deal and it will look like a great deal in a season or two tops if its 11m. Avs arent up against the cap and have great structure heading forward so it would be good to have cost certainty on a top guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad