Mikko Rantanen 10th Overall 2015 NHL Entry Draft l Signed to ELC 7/13/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
I'm fine with the move down to the A. I saw a lot of good things that I really liked from Hot Wheels up in the big leagues. A lot of small plays that go unnoticed in the larger scheme of things. If he's able to refine those parts of his game and continue developing then he'll be a great player for the Avs. He'll be back before the end of the year and will never look back. I actually really liked him on Duchene's wing too, those two could look really good together if the Iggy glue is ever removed.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah less than 40 doesn't count as a season toward UFA. That's the one I could see them try to keep him under but I guess it depends how he does and when they need to use him.

That's the one that I care a lot more about. If he's tearing it up while the team is struggling and needs him then so be it. But if we're hanging around and growing together while injuries aren't forcing the issue, then I'd really like for things to work out so that we can keep him under that 40 game threshold.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I've been hesitant to say this before but in the limited games I've seen from him, I get a Hossa ish feeling from him. Anyone else think he resembles Hossa?

Reactions: Murzu

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not sure teams are that bothered with burning one year of the ELC these days, since the second contract might become cheaper as a result.

Burning one year to free agency is a bigger deal, I think.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've been hesitant to say this before but in the limited games I've seen from him, I get a Hossa ish feeling from him. Anyone else think he resembles Hossa?

Yes. I thought the Wheeler/Voracek comp fit the player he looked like at the WJC and after he took over in finland better than Lehtonen/Hossa; but the way he's looked with the Avs definitely gave off a very Hossa-ish vibe just in terms of how smart & skilled he was in all facets and how well he clearly thinks the game.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
I'd really like for things to work out so that we can keep him under that 40 game threshold.

Out of curiosity, I just checked the Avalanche schedule and with his 6 games played now, if he comes back Jan 23rd to the away game at Anaheim he would add up to 39 games played if he plays in every remaining game in the regular season. Would the Avalanche be happy to burn a RFA year if it meant Rantanen would make a post-season appearance?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Roy would do anything to make a post season appearance but it's not happening. Thanks for doing the math, good to know. He already looked good last night and on e injuries hit it's going to be tough to keep him away IMO. Sakic told the San Antonio media that he was already good enough to play for the Avs, just wasn't getting the minutes.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He said all he was told is the demotion was about playing time and he hopes to be back up this year. He likes playing more and Rampage are a good team. He likes that Street talks to him a lot. He's going to move out of the hotel soon and live alone. Talks about his game a bit, faster in the NHL but he likes it. Europe is about holding on to the puck, here about making plays fast. He sounds good, happy.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
He said all he was told is the demotion was about playing time and he hopes to be back up this year. He likes playing more and Rampage are a good team. He likes that Street talks to him a lot. He's going to move out of the hotel soon and live alone. Talks about his game a bit, faster in the NHL but he likes it. Europe is about holding on to the puck, here about making plays fast. He sounds good, happy.

Thank you for the recap. Not much there that I did not know or infer. It sounds like he is making the most of his time there, regardless how long it is, in order to learn the NA game better. Having Street take him under his wing a bit is nice to have.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

He's right that the NHL is more about moving the puck quickly, but he's so good at holding onto the puck for that extra second or so with his long reach before he makes a play. I hope he doesn't get too far away from that. He's got a skillset in that area that most players in the league don't have.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
I'm fine with the move down to the A. I saw a lot of good things that I really liked from Hot Wheels up in the big leagues. A lot of small plays that go unnoticed in the larger scheme of things. If he's able to refine those parts of his game and continue developing then he'll be a great player for the Avs. He'll be back before the end of the year and will never look back. I actually really liked him on Duchene's wing too, those two could look really good together if the Iggy glue is ever removed.

I realize it's different people saying different things but the comments regarding a Rantanen-Duchene pairing are interesting.

When I've seen people defend Duchene, they've talked about how he's made a lot of less than high end players better....but in the past. Now it's not happening for Duchene and they're saying he needs Rantanen so that he can produce but then I'll see people still argue he's the same player as 3 or 4 years ago. You can't have it both ways.

Also, before he was sent down, he was starting to be paired with Duchene. But it didn't really help Rantanen stay in Colorado. If Duchene was really the same player as 3 years ago and would be scoring more (or even some) do you think Rantanen gets sent down playing on Duchenes line?

Maybe it's not such a good idea to put him with Duchene considering playing on unproductive lines is partly why he was demoted once already. And if Duchene is at a point where he needs Rantanen to be successful, then perhaps people should start referring to it as the Rantanen line.

Sorry if this ruffles some feathers but I keep seeing comments that are all over the place and, I sense at least, it's avoidance.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I realize it's different people saying different things but the comments regarding a Rantanen-Duchene pairing are interesting.

When I've seen people defend Duchene, they've talked about how he's made a lot of less than high end players better....but in the past. Now it's not happening for Duchene and they're saying he needs Rantanen so that he can produce but then I'll see people still argue he's the same player as 3 or 4 years ago. You can't have it both ways.

Also, before he was sent down, he was starting to be paired with Duchene. But it didn't really help Rantanen stay in Colorado. If Duchene was really the same player as 3 years ago and would be scoring more (or even some) do you think Rantanen gets sent down playing on Duchenes line?

Maybe it's not such a good idea to put him with Duchene considering playing on unproductive lines is partly why he was demoted once already. And if Duchene is at a point where he needs Rantanen to be successful, then perhaps people should start referring to it as the Rantanen line.

Sorry if this ruffles some feathers but I keep seeing comments that are all over the place and, I sense at least, it's avoidance.

I think playing on Duchene's line for what...2-3 games isn't NEARLY enough to be able to make this kind of statement.

Duchene has looked better in his overall game since about Game 6 but still not near the level he's capable of playing. Players tend to have bad stretches in their careers...it happens. I'm not willing to say Duchene is now as bad as he's shown to start the year and it will be up to him to get back to the level when he was at his best. I believe he's got an extra gear that he is capable of getting to that we haven't seen out of him so far this year.

As far as Duchene needing Rantanen to be successful, that's not entirely accurate. He doesn't need him as much as he needs that type of player. Duchene is at his best when playing with playmaking wingers who can play a bit of a East-West game (Fleischmann, Mueller, Parenteau). If you're putting him on a line with Blake Comeau and Jarome Iginla, those 2 guys are really far off from playing that kind of game.

He should be able to have more success with Soderberg, as he is that kind of player as well as is Grigorenko at least potentially.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Call him back up and put him with MacKinnon who seems to have chemistry with just about anybody this year.

But damn San Antonio is killing it so far this season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Once he comes up I don't expected him to ever go down, so I'd give him an extra week of lighting it up with the Rampage before bringing him back for good. Let him go up with some real swagger and let him run with his next chance.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Once he comes up I don't expected him to ever go down, so I'd give him an extra week of lighting it up with the Rampage before bringing him back for good. Let him go up with some real swagger and let him run with his next chance.

I don't think he's coming back that soon. He's been good but he's not at lighting it up territory yet either.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think he's coming back that soon. He's been good but he's not at lighting it up territory yet either.

That was poorly worded on my part. I meant that even once we think he's ready to come back for good, I'd rather they give him an extra week down with the Rampage before pulling the trigger.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That was poorly worded on my part. I meant that even once we think he's ready to come back for good, I'd rather they give him an extra week down with the Rampage before pulling the trigger.

I gotcha.

He was real good again last night. No points to show for it (thanks in large part to John Gibson) but he was flashing pretty good. His vision, skill with the puck, moves he made. He's gonna be a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad