News: Mikko Koivu will not be re-signed by Minnesota

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
Now that they got rid of Staal and Koivu, they can trade for Gomez and sign Camalleri and Gionta, they'll be containders for years, right? Right?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Do you seriously believe any free agent will look at the Sabres as a cup contending team to sign with ?
Lots of trades can happen between now and UFA season. Yes, I do believe any educated player can see the opportunity, especially if they add a quaility goalie. They also have a ton of cap space for flexibility.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Lots of trades can happen between now and UFA season. Yes, I do believe any educated player can see the opportunity, especially if they add a quaility goalie. They also have a ton of cap space for flexibility.

Koivu is close to 38 . Near the end of the line . I can see the Sabres making the playoffs but contending for a cup ? Come on man. He ain't signing with the Sabres .

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Bjugstad’s size and shot
Johanssen’s skating and playmaking
JEE’s defensive game
Sturm’s strength
Rask’s hair

We may be onto something here.

19e8634528171e1f019738ec37644173.jpg

Reactions: rynryn

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Pretty sure he's coming back to Finland to play for TPS. This guy just screams loyalty and I can't see him play anywhere other than the Wild or his hometown team.

Reactions: King 88

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Aren't they operating on an internal cap?
That has yet to be confirmed. GM Adams said it was news to him when asked. He did Also say they want flexibility moving forward so I do take that as having space available. They can also have a 80 million cap hit with 74 million in actual dollars spent.

Chameleon

Jun 5, 2014
Stockholm
If he's going play, he's going to play in Finland. The only comments he has given have been that this year feel different and he needs to think. But I don't see him playing with any other NHL team. Also he's recently divorced, which means that his kids might stay in Finland, if he would go, and that would be tough. This is speculation of course, I have no insights of his personal life.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I could see New York being interested. We need a 2C/3C and a mentor for Kakko.

Not as 2c/3C we need Chytil and Krav to have top mins along w/Zib.

However, if Chytil were traded, which I am not advocating in ordinary course of biz, if there were a 4C spot, you get the feeling he could be a stop gap, there, except....

He is slow, but speed has never been a part of his game. The knee from Giordano set him back from below average to downright slow. Right now he is still an VG defensive C, and has good hands and decent vision, but his lack of speed makes it difficult for him to be much of a factor on the rush. Tends to play high in the O zone. Still an excellent PK'er with a good stick and size that allows him to contest the slot. Very smart, and tends to have a miserable old man vibe to his game.

He is an above average 4c, and an average 3c at this point.

PIT might be a fit, but many contending teams would be. He, Malkin, and Crosby could have yucks together after the game.

... except for the bold.
Even for a stop gap

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Idk if buffalo could afford him but it’d be hilarious to have Staal and Koivu as 2 and 3C’s

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
This is the kind of high-impact player Kevyn Adyms is targeting.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I would like to see the Rangers in on him. With Lundqvists future in doubt the team doesn't have a ton of veteran presence and I wanted them to be in on Valterri Filpulla last year to be a sort of step dad for Kappo. I don't even care if Koivu plays. Just to have a kind if mentor and a finnish family for the kid to kind of latch on to would be helpful IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad