News: Mikko Koivu will not be re-signed by Minnesota

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Word at the last trade deadline was that he wanted to go out having only played for one team, but people change their minds about that sort of thing all the time when confronted by the reality of it. It'd be cool to see him retire with the team that drafted him but I've got no complaints about him taking one last crack at it elsewhere.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't know how his skating is after his last injury but he should be a solid somewhat cheap shorterm option for a contender looking to add depth . Hasn't made it of the second round yet with any of the teams he's played on . Not much time left in his career.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I somehow hope he'll retire (from the NHL), would be awkward to see him in a different jersey.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Word at the last trade deadline was that he wanted to go out having only played for one team, but people change their minds about that sort of thing all the time when confronted by the reality of it. It'd be cool to see him retire with the team that drafted him but I've got no complaints about him taking one last crack at it elsewhere.

Agreed. He's never been in a situation where the Wild don't want him back and he'd have a chance to sign with a contender. I've no doubt Koivu would still be useful as a defensive bottom 6 center, not just on the ice, but as a former captain both in the NHL and on international teams he brings a lot of value to the room.

That said, it takes a lot of motivation and commitment to come back if the season is spent in a bubble or no fans. Then again, it's also a shortened season so it's not like you're going away for a full year.

Odds are he probably retires from the NHL but with guys like him i'll never say never. He's always been a competitive spirit and wants to win badly. If you don't give yourself a chance here there might be regrets.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He is slow, but speed has never been a part of his game. The knee from Giordano set him back from below average to downright slow. Right now he is still an VG defensive C, and has good hands and decent vision, but his lack of speed makes it difficult for him to be much of a factor on the rush. Tends to play high in the O zone. Still an excellent PK'er with a good stick and size that allows him to contest the slot. Very smart, and tends to have a miserable old man vibe to his game.

He is an above average 4c, and an average 3c at this point.

PIT might be a fit, but many contending teams would be. He, Malkin, and Crosby could have yucks together after the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad