News: Mikko Koivu will not be re-signed by Minnesota

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Any basis to this thought? Why Canucks lol

There has been a lot of talk and speculation on moving Gaudette (along with everyone else), and our fan base seem to loathe Beagle and Sutter.

I'd throw a million+ Mikko's way for a single year contract.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Avalanche desperately need a 3C. Can he still skate though?
Avs could certainly do with a 3C to push Compher to the wing where he's better, but the need isn't "desperate". Certainly not compared to teams like Rangers, Florida, Buffalo, Minnesota, Edmonton, etc.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Mikko still holds a grudge and would never play for Vancouver.

I think he ultimately retires from the NHL and plays a season or two in Finland. As others have said, the thought of retiring seems all well and good until it comes to the moment you need to do it. So who knows, maybe he latches on with Tampa or something next year for a chance at the cup.

Minnesota will retire his number over the next few years IMO. Timeline just pends his career path now.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I wonder if the wild are priming for a Granlund signing. Did he leave on good terms? They have to have something in the works after losing Staal and Koivu.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
So Minny has 0 centers now?

If they they play their cards right they get get this guy:

Aatu-R%C3%A4ty-LiigaFI.png

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
I wonder if the wild are priming for a Granlund signing. Did he leave on good terms? They have to have something in the works after losing Staal and Koivu.
Granlunds wife didnt like it in Minnesota so I dont think he's going back.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If they they play their cards right they get get this guy:

Aatu-R%C3%A4ty-LiigaFI.png
He can't even stick on the Liiga team in his draft year? I'd like to aim a little higher than hanging the franchises hopes and dreams on Raty.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
He can't even stick on the Liiga team in his draft year? I'd like to aim a little higher than hanging the franchises hopes and dreams on Raty.

Seriously? This means the 2021 draft will be a weak one? Poor Wild cannot catch a break.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Seriously? This means the 2021 draft will be a weak one?

It's going to be great for defensemen. Raty likely won't be the best forward available come draft time. There are quite a few CHL guys and even a couple USDP guys who will probably be rated higher. It's not going to be a weak draft, Raty has just not been able to keep up with what people thought he could be so far.

Reactions: viper0220

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Koivu was asked by the last 2 GM's the past 2 trade deadlines if he wanted to goto a contender for a chance at the cup and he declined both times. I don't see him now wanting to sign with another team to take another crack. I think he ultimately retires and possibly plays back in Finland or maybe scouts Finland for the Wild.

sisseton

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota
Russo made it sound like Guerin had a deal in place with Tampa Bay at the deadline this year but Koivu refused to waive to go there so I highly doubt he plays in the NHL again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->