Injury Report: Mikko Koivu - ACL tear, out for rest of the season

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I remember the days when the annual Koivu injury midway through the season killed our playoff hopes.

What's the opposite of nostalgic?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Pretty much 36, and tearing both the meniscus and the ACL almost garuntees a 9+ month recovery. At his age, it may be longer. He’ll be a few months from 37 when he comes back I was just rounding up.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
Terrible way for the Kaptain to go out. He has been a class act his whole career, and a great role model for professional athletes everywhere.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Terrible way for the Kaptain to go out.

It is, though - he's known for knee injuries. Horrible, but if I had to guess how Koivu was going to go out, I'd say knee or shoulder.

Edit: I'm not going to change this, because I am wrong. He isn't known for knee injuries, but has had a lot of leg injuries.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Well that sucks. Hope he's able to bounce back ok but man that's a tough injury at his age.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It is, though - he's known for knee injuries. Horrible, but if I had to guess how Koivu was going to go out, I'd say knee or shoulder.

Edit: I'm not going to change this, because I am wrong. He isn't known for knee injuries, but has had a lot of leg injuries.

So which expensive bottle of booze did you crack open?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Sell, sell, sell.

Hopefully this isn’t a career-ender for Koivu, but it might be a good opportunity for the team to transition into a re-build.

Reactions: TheeNorthStar

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Darn shame. Mikko gets a lot of crap from fans, but he's a hell of a hockey player. Unfortunately, I think our expectations of him weren't fair, he's a great player, we just never got the right pieces around him where he would really shine. Here's to hoping this isn't the last we see of him, he deserves a lap around the X before he's done.

Reactions: a79krgm

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Speedy recovery Mikko.
It seems everyone on here feels the Wild are in sell mode. Time will tell if GMPF is.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Terrible news, the Captain has been the consummate professional his entire career. Couldn't ask for anything more than what he's brought to this team as a player/Captain.

Good luck on the recovery, hope to see you back on the ice next season!

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Well, the idea of "selling" is to become one, I'd think.

Team has too much talent to sell. Also, given how bad they botched the first round last year and their not so stellar track record (we haven't replaced any scouts, just the guy on top), I don't have a lot of faith with this group. Instead of getting a Mikko Rantanen we get a Scott Glennie

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Well, the idea of "selling" is to become one, I'd think.
Yeah, I'm usually pretty skeptical of this team's ability to drop down the standings, especially with the way the West is this year. But really, with teams like Chicago and St Louis scratching their way back into it, if we can drop past the bubble we might end up pretty low.

Center depth of Coyle - Rask - Ek - ....Hendricks? would go a long way toward that end.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
For me it will be extremely interesting to see how this affects the team.

In my opinion, the Wild have had zero opportunity to play a relaxed game free of all expectations. The expectations have been sky high close to a decade now.

There are some crazy examples, where teams really light up when they can enjoy the game without pressure (for example Islanders & Golden Knights).

Wabit

May 23, 2016
For me it will be extremely interesting to see how this affects the team.

In my opinion, the Wild have had zero opportunity to play a relaxed game free of all expectations. The expectations have been sky high close to a decade now.

There are some crazy examples, where teams really light up when they can enjoy the game without pressure (for example Islanders & Golden Knights).

I agree about the interesting part.

I'm hoping this is the wakeup call the players have needed all season. Just getting Zucker, Granny, and Coyle to play "A games" the rest of the season covers the loss of Koivu.

I see Koivu as a governor/rev limiter on the Wild's game. Take that off and 1 of 2 things will happen: you'll go faster and/or it'll blow up in your face. Either result is at least entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad