Injury Report: Mikko Koivu - ACL tear, out for rest of the season

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Team has too much talent to sell. Also, given how bad they botched the first round last year and their not so stellar track record (we haven't replaced any scouts, just the guy on top), I don't have a lot of faith with this group. Instead of getting a Mikko Rantanen we get a Scott Glennie
Losing Dumba, Koivu, and Staal would severely diminish this team. Also, Brodin and Spurgeon have been unusually healthy this year...wouldn't be at all surprised to see one of them go down.

I don't think that this team is very talented, and that's Koivu's injury is a blessing in disguise that will prompt the Wild to sell, and load their prospect pool back up. This draft year is one of the strongest for Centers that I've seen in a long time, but you would like to get a top 10-12 pick if possible to have a shot at one...even better to have two 1st rounders, or two more 2nds, if that's all that is available in trade.

Trading for elite players in their prime is all but impossible unless you are giving one up, and buying them in FA is also problematic. Drafting is anything but sure, but that's the way you've gotta go.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
After what happened with the VGK and Islanders, I'm thinking that the Wild will turn this to positive.

What goes to Mikko, he's been in the spotlight for 10 years with high pressures and has always performed. He's still devoted to the Wild and some time off can really do wonders. It will be exciting to see what happens to his game when he can have some time off...

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I’ll be honest. Although injury is never something to be celebrated but this is probably thee best thing to happen this team. We can finally get real and sell and take a significant step back and re-evaluate. Rather than being bounced in the first round via sweep and being stuck yet again for the sake of being in the playoffs. It’s clear where we should go now.

What does this team do when it's facing a bottom-dwelling team that's on its second night of a back-to-back with its backup goalie in, top scorer injured etc. etc.?

If it's clear where to go, this team will stubbornly mush through the glass door with shards jammed into the lobes that make them forget they're already dealing with Dumba's popped tit, Grandalf's pod person replacement, store brand Nirno, Black Knight action figure Coyle, Staal's Aspercreme-filled Werthers habit, and so on. This team rebels against "should" like there are 50 eggs to be eaten.

I'm not any more excited about selling everyone for more Nirno deals, but maybe if they rally and GMPF genuinely keeps to the current track of improvement, everyone will finally get those many years of awful they've been begging for anyways. Yay!

Reactions: Bazeek

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Losing Dumba, Koivu, and Staal would severely diminish this team. Also, Brodin and Spurgeon have been unusually healthy this year...wouldn't be at all surprised to see one of them go down.

I don't think that this team is very talented, and that's Koivu's injury is a blessing in disguise that will prompt the Wild to sell, and load their prospect pool back up. This draft year is one of the strongest for Centers that I've seen in a long time, but you would like to get a top 10-12 pick if possible to have a shot at one...even better to have two 1st rounders, or two more 2nds, if that's all that is available in trade.

Trading for elite players in their prime is all but impossible unless you are giving one up, and buying them in FA is also problematic. Drafting is anything but sure, but that's the way you've gotta go.

The Wild haven't been talented ever. It's the depth of the mid-range talent that makes them competitive. The catch-22 is if you sell of Granny/Staal then you almost need to hope Kunin and JEE flop the rest of the season and the Rask is actually the 2nd coming of Jarret Stoll.

The player to trade (outside of Dub) that would hurt the team the most to lose is Spurgeon. There isn't anything to replace him (and Dumba) the rest of the season.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What alien has inhabited Wabit's mind?

You think I hate Spurgeon. I don't, I just am not drinking the koolaide thinking he's a borderline 1D. He's teflon to Wild fans, any mistake is overlooked or thought nothing of, but if Dumba does the same thing he's been blasted over the years.

I don't like his contract; which for the first time he isn't getting overpayed because the cap of going up. I also want nothing to do with his next contract if it has any term or big money on it. I guess people just don't understand my separating the any feelings for the player from the AAV they get for the season.

I'd say Foligno is the player I like the most on the Wild, but he's overpayed. Pommer was my favorite player on the Wild and he was, for sure, overpayed. Players getting overpayed by MN needs to stop happening. That little bit extra so many players are getting adds up quickly and is one of the things that contributes to them being stuck in the perpetual good, but not great as a team.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
You think I hate Spurgeon. I don't, I just am not drinking the koolaide thinking he's a borderline 1D. He's teflon to Wild fans, any mistake is overlooked or thought nothing of, but if Dumba does the same thing he's been blasted over the years.

I don't like his contract; which for the first time he isn't getting overpayed because the cap of going up. I also want nothing to do with his next contract if it has any term or big money on it. I guess people just don't understand my separating the any feelings for the player from the AAV they get for the season.

I'd say Foligno is the player I like the most on the Wild, but he's overpayed. Pommer was my favorite player on the Wild and he was, for sure, overpayed. Players getting overpayed by MN needs to stop happening. That little bit extra so many players are getting adds up quickly and is one of the things that contributes to them being stuck in the perpetual good, but not great as a team.
You're back!

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
1. I think most us Kool-Aid drinkers stop at a really good #2D. Even as one of his biggest fans, I don't think he's a 1D on a Cup contender.

2. His mistakes are overlooked or thought nothing of because his excellent plays outnumber his mistakes by a pretty large margin, and have for a lot of years.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
1. I think most us Kool-Aid drinkers stop at a really good #2D. Even as one of his biggest fans, I don't think he's a 1D on a Cup contender.

2. His mistakes are overlooked or thought nothing of because his excellent plays outnumber his mistakes by a pretty large margin, and have for a lot of years.
Can't agree with your #2. Koivu fits that description tenfold, but still gets a ton of hate around here. Brodin doesn't fit that description at all, and is pretty much left alone here.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Why would you need cap space to "blow it all up"?

It offsets loss of revenue from playoffs and gate. Might not matter much to Mr. Johnson, er, Leipold but it's a consideration for the overall bottom line. More importantly, it allows you to take on bad contracts in exchange for picks/prospects. A retooling team shouldn't spend to the cap.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It offsets loss of revenue from playoffs and gate. Might not matter much to Mr. Johnson, er, Leipold but it's a consideration for the overall bottom line. More importantly, it allows you to take on bad contracts in exchange for picks/prospects. A retooling team shouldn't spend to the cap.
Say what now?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Say what now?

What doesn't make sense?

I have a hockey team I pay 100 dollars and I make some of the money to do that by selling popcorn, 10 cents a bag. But 25 cents a bag in the playoffs. But they don't make the playoffs, they're tanking for Quinton Byfield.

I'd rather have a team I pay 75 dollars (cap space). I still get my popcorn money during the regular season too!

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What doesn't make sense?

I have a hockey team I pay 100 dollars and I make some of the money to do that by selling popcorn, 10 cents a bag. But 25 cents a bag in the playoffs. But they don't make the playoffs, they're tanking for Quinton Byfield.

I'd rather have a team I pay 75 dollars (cap space). I still get my popcorn money during the regular season too!
You think that puting Koivu on LTIR saves Leipold money?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What doesn't make sense?

Koivu still gets paid while he's on LTIR, does he not?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

To me, a #1 Dman means that he is one of the 31 best Dmen in the league. I think Spurgeon is. He is by no means a top 10, or even top 15 guy, but he is definitely in the top 31.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
To me, a #1 Dman means that he is one of the 31 best Dmen in the league. I think Spurgeon is. He is by no means a top 10, or even top 15 guy, but he is definitely in the top 31.

Wow the Wild have 3 #1D-men then...

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Spurgeon is a special player, but no way he would be ranked in the top 31 by the NHL media. Defensemen are largely ranked by their PP contribution. For example, Kevin Shattenkirk is just a lousy defenseman IMO, but THN has him ranked as 31st.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I think once you get to ~20 or 25 you can make a pretty strong case for ~15-25 guys for the last 10-15 spots. I include Spurgeon and Dumba in that group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad