Injury Report: Mikko Koivu - ACL tear, out for rest of the season

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Questionable if they would even insure Koivu's deal. Also doubt that they would be able to collect much with so little left in the season.

Yeah, I don't know exactly how the rules are; just something sticks in my mind from a long time ago.

But if I'm right, you'd also have the savings from his time missed next season.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah, I don't know exactly how the rules are; just something sticks in my mind from a long time ago.

But if I'm right, you'd also have the savings from his time missed next season.
Next year would be a different story, but that's a long ways from now. ACL injury to a hockey player isn't anywhere close to as serious an injury as it is for the other big 4 sports.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Next year would be a different story, but that's a long ways from now. ACL injury to a hockey player isn't anywhere close to as serious an injury as it is for the other big 4 sports.

True. Kunin got hurt later than Koivu did and made it back pretty much in time for beginning of Iowa's season.

Kunin wasn't almost 36 years old, however.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
True. Kunin got hurt later than Koivu did and made it back pretty much in time for beginning of Iowa's season.

Kunin wasn't almost 36 years old, however.
Agreed. Kunin took 7 months from surgery, to being cleared. Probably shouldn't expect Koivu to hold that same timeline, but even if you add a couple of months to Koivu's recovery, you're still nowhere near using LTIR.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What? You don't think Koivu is going to miss 10 games next season? I mean it's possible...but still.

Unless the Wild are so cap tight next season that whoever is called to fill Koivu's roster spot up puts them over the cap, LTIR doesn't do anything for them. Dumba isn't even listed as LTIR (just regular IR so they can use his 23 man roster spot on someone else).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Let's try it this way. Please explain to me how the Wild would benefit from placing Koivu on LTIR for the first 10-25 games of the season next year?
It would depend on how close to the cap they are to know if it would have any real value.

If they have a few mil cushion, than zero. If they have only $100k cushion? Quite a bit. My guess is we're not going to be bumping that close so it won't really matter.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It would depend on how close to the cap they are to know if it would have any real value.

If they have a few mil cushion, than zero. If they have only $100k cushion? Quite a bit. My guess is we're not going to be bumping that close so it won't really matter.

It depends on Koivu's recovery time frame as well.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I just realized that Koivu would have hit 1000 games benchmark if he had stayed healthy the rest of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad