TSN: Mikka Kiprusoff Will Stay

TylerSVT*

Isnt playing tonight and is addressing the media after the game?

I suspect he has played his last game as a Flame.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
You mean not having one at all, really? Iginla kind of left too soon before anyone could define what his last game was, so nobody could really send him off other than Flames management/staff. :(
He got a good one from the press. And he'll be back (eventually)

Kipper, if he's retiring at the end of the year, will get a fantastic send-off by the fans on April 19 (last home game)

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I really think Kiprusoff can play to a high level, be it here or in Toronto. I guess mentally he's just not there any more.

Oh well. He's had a phenomenal career. If retirement is his decision then all the best to him.

berto14

Oct 1, 2009
That only applies to 35+ contracts, Kippers is not one of them.

Not true, it's called the Luongo rule for a reason. "For all existing SPCs with terms in excess of six (6) years (“long-term contracts”), a 'Cap Advantage Recapture' provision will become applicable." Not sure how this will apply to Kipper's contract as it's not in excess of 6 years.

fallsviewafro*

I don't mind this at all. I'm a little miffed that he would go out like this since I think he has a few good years left, but he's earned the right to make a decision like this.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not true, it's called the Luongo rule for a reason. "For all existing SPCs with terms in excess of six (6) years (“long-term contractsâ€), a 'Cap Advantage Recapture' provision will become applicable." Not sure how this will apply to Kipper's contract as it's not in excess of 6 years.

The devils always in the details. Even if there's a cap penalty though, it shouldn't be a problem for the Flames what with them rebuilding.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I know in the point of view progress, keeping Kipper isn't what we wanted (even though I don't think we would have gotten much, definitely not a first rounder), I'm glad he's staying and will call it quits here. He's given us good years we had no business being in and I like to think if you hold as many records as he has for any organization you're treated with respect rather than a commodity.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Isnt playing tonight and is addressing the media after the game?

I suspect he has played his last game as a Flame.

The Flames aren't making a run for the playoffs anymore, so he's got nothing left to prove this year/no weight on his shoulders. I think he'll take the rest of the year as a goodbye tour, and reconsider his options if he finds his A game over the last dozen+ games.

TylerSVT*

The Flames aren't making a run for the playoffs anymore, so he's got nothing left to prove this year/no weight on his shoulders. I think he'll take the rest of the year as a goodbye tour, and reconsider his options if he finds his A game over the last dozen+ games.

Probably spend time with his wife and kids.

I think it would be good to give him the rest of the season off. Let him retire now.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Sounds to me like Kiprusoff retiring isn't necessarily a sure thing. Feaster and him plan to sit and discuss his future at the end of the season (which is anytime now, really). There is a chance he could re-sign.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Sounds to me like Kiprusoff retiring isn't necessarily a sure thing. Feaster and him plan to sit and discuss his future at the end of the season (which is anytime now, really). There is a chance he could re-sign.

Why he is already signed for next season. I respect Kipper for not wanting to leave because of family reasons but if he trys to get more money because he agreed to only make 1.5 million next year I would be pissed.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Nonis: Leafs had ‘deal in place’ for Kiprusoff

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nonis-leafs-had-deal-in-place-for-kiprusoff/

“We tried pretty hard to get Miikka (Kiprusoff) to come. That was as close as we were the whole time,†Leafs general manager Dave Nonis told Sportsnet’s Christine Simpson. “We had a deal in place that we felt made sense for us.â€

“We tried to put together a deal that made sense for him and ultimately he felt that he wanted to stay in Calgary and finish the year and then choose his path after that,†Nonis added.

“He was very open when we had discussions about his desire to possibly stay in Calgary,†said Nonis.

The deal was close until hours before the deadline when Kiprusoff made his decision to stay with the Flames.

“He didnt shut the door on Toronto at any time until late (Wednesday) morning when he felt that if he wasn’t going to give us 100 per cent that it wasn’t in his best interest or in the best interest of ur team.â€

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Well, kudos to Kiprusoff. He may be getting flack on the main boards but it would be even worse if, down the road, he came out and said he wasn't prepared to give 100% to the team he was playing for.

Classy move IMO.

If he wasn't ready to give 100% this season he should have retired, its a sad fact that his ****** goaltending has a big reason to play in way this team was blown up.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
If he wasn't ready to give 100% this season he should have retired, its a sad fact that his ****** goaltending has a big reason to play in way this team was blown up.

Where did he say he wasn't prepared to give 100% this season? Nonis' quotes make it sound like he wasn't prepared to give 100% to Toronto which, last I checked, we are not. Kipper's play, combined with familial changes at home, have probably pointed him in a direction that maybe he wasn't expecting at the beginning of this season.

Jesus christ, stop jumping down the guy's throat. Learn to read.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Where did he say he wasn't prepared to give 100% this season? Nonis' quotes make it sound like he wasn't prepared to give 100% to Toronto which, last I checked, we are not. Kipper's play, combined with familial changes at home, have probably pointed him in a direction that maybe he wasn't expecting at the beginning of this season.

Jesus christ, stop jumping down the guy's throat. Learn to read.

Again if he isn't going to give 100% to Toronto I doubt he gives it here and judging by his play he hasn't looked great. I respect him for declining based on his family issues but I find it to be a joke that he can say no to a trade because he doesn't think he wants to try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad