TSN: Mikka Kiprusoff Will Stay

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
I'm fine with this, Kipper gave us a lot.

Kipper is awesome, great personality, great goalie and is just having a terrible season. Still really surprised he is retiring but totally respect it. He loves Calgary, and I respect he doesn't want to leave the family.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Meh, that intellectual honesty should have seen this team rebuilding 2 years ago, last year at the least.

Now we get 2 late first round picks for our 3 best players.

Awesome.

What a joke. Kipper had an NMC 2 years ago. Based on recent events its obvious he had no intention of wanting to leave.

For all we know management did ask him about it.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Looks guys I am not trying to start trouble. But I have watched this situation with particular interest for about 5 years now. I have watched every trade deadline day. This is a real thing. People have been astonished that this rebuild did not occur years ago. And last year that amazement reached a critical mass and people spoke out more because they thought it had reached an idiotic point. Here are some links to make the point:

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.com/2012/3/30/2913548/the-fans-must-demand-a-rebuild

Tis story is 2011 and the author speaks to the fact that even then he had heard "a zillion" times about why the flames don't rebuild:

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.com/2012/3/22/2893898/why-the-flames-can-not-do-a-nuclear-rebuild

http://redmileblog.com/2011/04/rebuild-or-re-tool-what-should-the-flames-do/

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/04/08/flames-need-to-start-rebuilding

http://thehockeyhouse.net/calgary-flames/time-for-flames-to-rebuild/

And here from the hockey news - "flames rebuild long overdue".

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/49734-Calgary-Flames-rebuild-long-overdue.html

The point is that this is a team, and to some degree a fan base, that has reached the point of lunacy. There are a variety of reason for what has happened and some of those reasons are understandable. But in the end this was entirely foreseeable and inexcusable.

Yes people are surprised we didn't rebuild, we were a little surprised as well but again I ask should SJ blow it up? We were always in a battle for the playoffs while it is easy to say blow it up trade everyone the ownership never wanted to and we trade to simple win a couple more games the year previous as it would mean we would make the playoffs.

TylerSVT*

Ownership.

So the fact that ownership wouldn't rebuild is now Feaster's fault?

What else can we blame on the guy? The Stock collapse? WW 2? Ware's broken leg?

Feaster is just an extension, perhaps i should just blame management/ownership, either way, our organization just set this franchise back a few years.

Look back at the supposed Iggy trade a few years ago, Simmonds, 1st, and Brayden Schenn... that return would have been amazing for us. Ship out Kipper then and Maybe Gio and we have a Ottawa style reload. I would almost wager we would be on the rise again.

What a joke. Kipper had an NMC 2 years ago. Based on recent events its obvious he had no intention of wanting to leave.

For all we know management did ask him about it.

Kippers NMC ended before the deadline last year, he could have been dealt then (when everyone wanted a rebuild).

Either way, as the chips fall, its clear both Feaster and Management have done exactly what they never wanted to do, become the Edmonton Oilers of 3 years ago.

Gabriel6676

Sep 10, 2011
Yes people are surprised we didn't rebuild, we were a little surprised as well but again I ask should SJ blow it up? We were always in a battle for the playoffs while it is easy to say blow it up trade everyone the ownership never wanted to and we trade to simple win a couple more games the year previous as it would mean we would make the playoffs.

YES! And the reason? Right now - this - this is the reason. Mortgaging everything two years ago for a chance at the playoffs with no realistic chance of victory - not wise.

Edit: not just surprised - astonished

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
YES! And the reason? Right now - this - this is the reason. Mortgaging everything two years ago for a chance at the playoffs with no realistic chance of victory - not wise.

Edit: not just surprised - astonished

We didn't mortgage anything Feaster kept a majority of our picks, again should SJ blow it up?

Gabriel6676

Sep 10, 2011
We didn't mortgage anything Feaster kept a majority of our picks, again should SJ blow it up?

You mortgaged your current assets to the point that they are not worth much - which is the whole point - as I have illustrated everyone saw this coming.

As for SJ - yes - but Calgary has been far more obvious because of the many years of doing the same thing and not making the playoffs.

Edit: Doug Wilson just said they are going through a reset/refresh phase...whatever that means

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Hindsight is 20/20 but the flames management probably didn't like what they saw in Edmonton from blowing it up. Frankly as an Oilers fan myself I was pissed up until the last couple weeks where the team actually is actually looking like a threat.

The trade that really hurt the flames IMO was the Phaneuf trade and the loss of Regehr. I know as an Oilers fan, those were the two players that dominated us. The Flames used to be stingy on a strong team game and its in pieces right now.

Aside from this, I see that their issue was a lack of a solid succession plan for Kiprusoff. With the emergence of Giordano, the only thing they had to do was not sign Bouwmeester.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Give it up with San Jose already. They've more or less in in playoff position for the last decade.

Flames have been on the bubble always with a playoff spot in their sights... never needing to bolster their lineup to HOLD ONTO a playoff spot.

Yeah we've had moments where we've been in the 7-8 range, but it's been so obvious that other teams had a leg up on us.

Owners and management took the risk of milking everything they could out of aging players for a shot at the 8th playoff spot (which I can appreciate), but it was not a smart risk to take. EVERYONE knew we wouldn't make the playoffs in these last 3 or 4 years. Now we're paying for it.

San Jose is a terrible comparison, Phoenix or Nashville would be more appropriate.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
You mortgaged your current assets to the point that they are not worth much - which is the whole point - as I have illustrated everyone saw this coming.

As for SJ - yes - but Calgary has been far more obvious because of the many years of doing the same thing and not making the playoffs.

Edit: Doug Wilson just said they are going through a reset/refresh phase...whatever that means

We did see a rebuild coming it wasn't a surprise what was a surprise atleast to management is that everyone if draft was a terrible player or had their career ruined by concussions.

It is easy to say should have rebuilt 2 years ago but then we missed the playoffs by 1 point, again if SJ doesn't move Jumbo Joe or Marleau it isn't the same as it in Calgary.

It wasn't a surprise we are rebuilding but it wasn't a sure thing it would happen this way.

Aug 3, 2010
Aside from this, I see that their issue was a lack of a solid succession plan for Kiprusoff. With the emergence of Giordano, the only thing they had to do was not sign Bouwmeester.

In terms of up and coming goaltending talent, the Flames wanted to use their pipeline of young talent, not trade assets. This has been shown best by acquiring assets like MacDonald or bringing up players such as Irving (who they did mismanage) and Brust.

They wanted Irving to play better than he did but he took too long to develop in relation to his contract. But it's not really all on him because the Flames made a poor decision in getting Karlsson from the SEL.

But the Flames do have decent if not enigmatic depth in goaltending from assets in Ramo, Gillies, Brossoit, and possibly Berra.

Also, unfortunately, I would have preferred to keep and re-sign Bouwmeester than to keep Giordano. Giordano has a great locker-room personality and elevated his play... last season. This season he is not anything special and has made some unsavoury mistakes in his defensive cover, but we finally saw the emergence of Bouwmeester through Hartley's system, and for that reason I think we should have kept him as I think it was just the beginning.

I'm not sure Bouwmeester will play nearly as good a game in St. Louis, even though they have an impressive defence core -or at least he will play the way Calgary Flames fans saw the last three seasons prior to 2012-2013.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
If Kipper retires, the Falmes will "recapture" about $4.3M in saved cap hit from past years.

Or, they could exercise one of their 2 amnesty buyouts, pay him $1M, and save all of that cap hit. And Kipper is free to sign anywhere (other than Calagry) for whatever he can get.

I think Kipper knows exactly what he is doing, and retiring ain't it.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Losing all our big pieces for essentially nothing. This party is sure off to a ****** start.

I hope nobody boos Kiprusoff over this in his next game. This is on management, not him.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Warrener on the Fan 960 was saying he spoke to Kiprusoff, and said he's not comfortable signing an extension with Toronto because he's not sure if he'll be able to live up to it. Sounds like he's real down on his game right now.

TylerSVT*

If Kipper retires, the Falmes will "recapture" about $4.3M in saved cap hit from past years.

Or, they could exercise one of their 2 amnesty buyouts, pay him $1M, and save all of that cap hit. And Kipper is free to sign anywhere (other than Calagry) for whatever he can get.

I think Kipper knows exactly what he is doing, and retiring ain't it.

That only applies to 35+ contracts, Kippers is not one of them.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Warrener on the Fan 960 was saying he spoke to Kiprusoff, and said he's not comfortable signing an extension with Toronto because he's not sure if he'll be able to live up to it. Sounds like he's real down on his game right now.

Really? :( thats too bad.

Must of been a decent return coming back if it was Toronto wanting the extension.

Aug 3, 2010

Injury, family worries, didn't play during the lockout, and let's face it, getting older... it's not easy to live up to all that AND literally thousand of people's expectations, and not even just in Calgary as he is an icon in Finnish hockey.

I really hope he snaps his funk, and not even related to hockey. Just want him to chill... while not taking up smoking again.

TylerSVT*

Does he have MONO or something? Seems downright depressed.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm completely okay with this. I've said all along that I'd much rather Kipper retire a Flame than trade him for a measly mid round pick.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Kipper will address media after game tonight. If he say's I want to retire a Flame, this year, next year or after an extension....I'll be happy. He earned it.

As for us not rebuilding 2 years ago.....on paper.....and if players played like we knew they could have (JBo, Stajan, Bourque, etc) we wouldn't be complaining. Feaster owned up to it, it's done.

We are rebuilding through the draft and FA from here on put, which is what flames fans wanted, I would suggest worrying or criticizing this after the off-season leading into training camp.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm completely okay with this. I've said all along that I'd much rather Kipper retire a Flame than trade him for a measly mid round pick.
Me too. While a 1st or 2nd (dreaming) would have been nice, I'm equally content to have him retire here as the greatest goaltender ever to play for the Flames.

He should be given the same send off as Iginla. He's earned it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Return would probably blow. Happy having him go off into the sunset a flame.

His number is going to look nice beside Vernons and Lanny's.

Aug 3, 2010
Me too. While a 1st or 2nd (dreaming) would have been nice, I'm equally content to have him retire here as the greatest goaltender ever to play for the Flames.

He should be given the same send off as Iginla. He's earned it.

You mean not having one at all, really? Iginla kind of left too soon before anyone could define what his last game was, so nobody could really send him off other than Flames management/staff. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad