Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If our team is better with him in the lineup, then for sure you play him. If he can improve our roster already for next year then **** that 2nd.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Really? Ughh yikes. 98 is an eyesore.

Really? I think #98 is actually really neat. I thought #65 on Karlsson was terrible until I got used to it - now I couldn't picture him with anything else.

What do you guys think, does he play 40+ games with TB this year? Not going to say yes because SY likes to develop these guys for long periods, also he will like having that extra 2nd round pick, but I say that if he's ready to play in the NHL then he should play. Especially if he's one of the best 7 we have.

I think he plays more than 40 and ends up having a big roll by January.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Really? I think #98 is actually really neat. I thought #65 on Karlsson was terrible until I got used to it - now I couldn't picture him with anything else.

I think he plays more than 40 and ends up having a big roll by January.

Agree on both points. I hope he keeps 98. Also hoping he has a big role by January. Not due to injury but because he is that good. We desperately need another Dman to come in and be really really solid for us. If that's the case we won't have to worry so much about our D. I'm actually least worried about our D either way. I'm more worried about Vasi and our depth scoring.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Agree on both points. I hope he keeps 98. Also hoping he has a big role by January. Not due to injury but because he is that good. We desperately need another Dman to come in and be really really solid for us. If that's the case we won't have to worry so much about our D. I'm actually least worried about our D either way. I'm more worried about Vasi and our depth scoring.

agreed

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I can't explain it but I think it just has to do with the shape of the numbers and how they contrast together. It's weird I know.

Either way I'd actually like to see Sergachev eventually inherit the number 13 from Paquette. I know 31 is Sergachev's junior number but that's typically a goaltender's number and plus it's taken by Budaj. I mean the kid can wear whatever he wants but 13 feels right to me because it was Pavel Kubina's number and he was one of the better players we've ever had when he was in his prime in the years just before and after our Cup run. There's just something that feels right about giving it to Sergachev as if he's carrying on the legacy of a lucky number.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
He wanted 98 in Montreal, they said no.
31 was # in Russia I believe

I didn't hear that at all while he was here. I don't remember what he wore in camp last season, but for the four games he played with the Habs, he wore #22.

cut.jpg

Anyway, I'm excited to see what he does with you guys this year, and into the future. Good luck!

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I didn't hear that at all while he was here. I don't remember what he wore in camp last season, but for the four games he played with the Habs, he wore #22.

Yep. I'm not sure why / if the Habs said no to 98 but it will look neat on Tampa. I love how their stars wear funky, high numbers - Stamkos (91), Hedman (77), Kucherov (86).

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Yep. I'm not sure why / if the Habs said no to 98 but it will look neat on Tampa. I love how their stars wear funky, high numbers - Stamkos (91), Hedman (77), Kucherov (86).

I wouldn't consider 91 a funky number now considering how many other popular players wear it

Tavares
Tarasenko
Seguin

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Many Russian names have diminutives that are for use by relatives and friends only e.g. Vladimir becomes Volodya, Viktor becomes Vika, Aleksandr becomes Sasha, Mikhail becomes Misha.

EDIT: Since you bring up Rexxar, LS, I think interestingly that there is a diminutive for bears that is similar. Masha? Perhaps geoo9 or kshadoo will help me remember.

Isn't Masha the diminutive of a girl's name?

Anyway, I'm pleased you spelled it "Aleksandr" rather than Alexander, because that's the way it's pronounced.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Isn't Masha the diminutive of a girl's name?

Anyway, I'm pleased you spelled it "Aleksandr" rather than Alexander, because that's the way it's pronounced.

Someone already corrected me on the diminutive, and the 'x' in the English version of Alexander seems much lazier to me than «ÃºÑ».

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
Sergachev just said he will wear #98 if he makes the team. Said it on his Instagram live.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
Sergachev said he prefers the right side so he can get around players , get one timers and create offense easier. Again via his Instagram live.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/steven-stamkos-ready-for-lightning-camp/2336294
Stamkos said he liked the moves the Lightning made this summer, bringing in veterans Chris Kunitz and Dan Girardi. Though Stamkos said at the end of the season he believed Jonathan Drouin was a big part of the team's core, he understood the trade that sent Drouin to Montreal for defense prospect Mikhail Sergachev. Stamkos got to skate with Sergachev for the first time today.

"It's tough, anytime you have a player of that skillset, it's tough to find," Stamkosm said of Drouin. "But you have faith in management and what they're doing. There's a lot of stuff that goes on in a trade of that magnitude that a lot of people don't know about. We were able to add a defenseman who probably is untradeable unless you throw a guy like (Drouin) out there.

"For us to pick him up is huge. We know we wanted to add some skill and defensive ability to the back end and he fits that bill for sure."

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Sergachev said he prefers the right side so he can get around players , get one timers and create offense easier. Again via his Instagram live.

If he can play the right side better than Girardi then hopefully Coop will give him the minutes rather than him.

Hedman Dotchin
Koekkoek Stralman
Coburn Sergachev
Girardi

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I know I'm jumping the gun but he needs a chance. Even if he gets the nightly healthy scratch, it's not as if we will not have SOME kind of injury to a defenseman or someone catches a nuclear flu virus and there's no way he's playing. Sergachev can play in on injury nights and sheltered minutes on others and I'll be happy with it. The fact that we even got him at all is enormous. If there ever was an "A" prospect in our pipeline he is it.

Take the risk. 38 games at 10-12 minutes a night is going to do more for his development than 20 minutes a night on Windsor in a league he has outgrown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad