Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
you got to see more of koekkoek he might be our best skater that is what hes best at and its impressive

Yeah, I haven't seen enough of Koekkoek (or paid attention to him as much when he was playing with us, lol) to really compare. I'll definitely be paying more attention this season!

But I stand by my opinion that Sergachev is a MUCH better skater than Dotchin. :D

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Yeah, I haven't seen enough of Koekkoek (or paid attention to him as much when he was playing with us, lol) to really compare. I'll definitely be paying more attention this season!

But I stand by my opinion that Sergachev is a MUCH better skater than Dotchin. :D

as long as dotchin can play with hedman we got a win

as things stand seems girardi might be headed to carle usage lol press box if is as bad as people think so we will need serge or cernak and koekkoek to step up for sure lol

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
as long as dotchin can play with hedman we got a win

as things stand seems girardi might be headed to carle usage lol press box if is as bad as people think so we will need serge or cernak and koekkoek to step up for sure lol

Funny you said to me sergachev was going back to juniors for sure

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Cernak looks quality, I wouldn't be surprised to see him maybe breaking into the squad if he has another good camp.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Cernak looks quality, I wouldn't be surprised to see him maybe breaking into the squad if he has another good camp.

He's never been to camp with us so Cooper has never seen what he can do. Even if he has a good camp we have far too many other RD ahead of him right now unless he just completely kills it. Sustr is signed for just 1 year, I assume Cernak spends it all in Syracuse then takes his spot next year.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
So with girardi here now will sergachev make the NHL roster? Or back to juniors?

Despite Sergachev being able to play the right side, I don't think Girardi is his competition, but Slater. That Koekkoek contract says it all. At 800k and having to pass through waivers, Koekkoek has to beat Sergachev in camp or will likely get picked up by Vegas.

If Sergachev loses, he goes back to juniors, we gain a second round pick and maintain a year of control on him while he adds ~10 pounds of muscle and improves on his offensive production. His D+1 season was very meh outside the Memorial Cup playoffs.

We all need to be pulling for Koekkoek right now to beat out Sergachev in camp and help justify his draft selection. He can still be a major contributor for this team.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Sergachev should be back in Juniors. After another year in the CHL and another in Syracuse should put him in good place to replace Coburn full-time as his contract runs out. After Coburns departure, that should give us two years of Koekkoek as a 3/4 and Sergachev can come up full time as a #5.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Sergachev should be back in Juniors. After another year in the CHL and another in Syracuse should put him in good place to replace Coburn full-time as his contract runs out. After Coburns departure, that should give us two years of Koekkoek as a 3/4 and Sergachev can come up full time as a #5.

But he's already good enough to be our #5.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
But he's already good enough to be our #5.

We already have 6 D on one way deals with Dotchin expected to be the 7th. Someone is going to be paid good to sit, Sergachev will make that two. Just because he's better doesn't mean it makes sense for him to be in the lineup. If he was our 2nd or 3rd best D you play him, but 5th isn't worth it because it's marginally better than what's behind him right now.

Sustr and Koekkoek are on one year deals with Dotchin possibly being on the same. I can't see all three playing well enough to cement a spot for the following year, Sergachev will take one of those spots. Cernak has had a great development camp but need to see him in a real camp and preseason. Most likely he spends all year in Syracuse then takes Sustr spot if he earns it or for sure Girardi, Coburn or Stralman when their deals end in two years. Thomas is still ahead of him so he could be up next year along with Masin who has the edge on the left if Sergachev is in junior.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I'd agree with you if I didn't think Seragachev was not already better than Sustr, NHL ready right now and that Juniors and the AHL would not be a complete and total waste of time. We need to stop holding ourselves back let go of this "We put them in juniors/AHL because they are young and not ready" approach and let the best players make the team regardless of their age or their current level of development.

The only thing saving this team is gonna be finding the next Brayden Point.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Despite Sergachev being able to play the right side, I don't think Girardi is his competition, but Slater. That Koekkoek contract says it all. At 800k and having to pass through waivers, Koekkoek has to beat Sergachev in camp or will likely get picked up by Vegas.

If Sergachev loses, he goes back to juniors, we gain a second round pick and maintain a year of control on him while he adds ~10 pounds of muscle and improves on his offensive production. His D+1 season was very meh outside the Memorial Cup playoffs.

We all need to be pulling for Koekkoek right now to beat out Sergachev in camp and help justify his draft selection. He can still be a major contributor for this team.

100%, despite Sergachev being the shiny new toy we NEED Koekkoek to develop into a top-4 defender like he was poised to, you cannot blow another top pick like that. I don't think anyone doubts Sergachev will be an impact eventually but we can afford to wait on him for at least 1 more year. Koekkoek is in a do or die year on this team, at this point it's really all up to him.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
100%, despite Sergachev being the shiny new toy we NEED Koekkoek to develop into a top-4 defender like he was poised to, you cannot blow another top pick like that. I don't think anyone doubts Sergachev will be an impact eventually but we can afford to wait on him for at least 1 more year. Koekkoek is in a do or die year on this team, at this point it's really all up to him.

I don't think we "need" it - If Serge is better, he should get the spot, waivers be damned. Tie goes to Koekkoek though.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I hope Sergachev and Koekkoek impress enough to get Sustr to sit into the press box. We really can use their skill set on the back end.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I hope Sergachev and Koekkoek impress enough to get Sustr to sit into the press box. We really can use their skill set on the back end.

I can't see us keeping both of them on the main roster, because it would force us to sit Girardi as well, given the R/L thing:

Hedman - Dotchin
Koekkoek - Stralman
Sergachev - Coburn

I just don't think it's realistic that we'll have both Girardi and Sustr in the pressbox. Maybe if we run 11-7 most nights.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Habs fan here in peace.

Question about Drouin in regards to his position as a LW/C/RW. Where can he, will he, and did he play?

Thanks!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Habs fan here in peace.

Question about Drouin in regards to his position as a LW/C/RW. Where can he, will he, and did he play?

Thanks!

Either wing. He morphed more and more into a RW by the end.

QBs the PP. Creates space.

Ugh. This trade hurts me in the soul.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Either wing. He morphed more and more into a RW by the end.

QBs the PP. Creates space.

Ugh. This trade hurts me in the soul.

lol thanks for that. We obviously have a hole at C, and now with losing Radulov one has opened up at RW. We are way more loaded at LW (Pacioretty, Lehokonen, Byron, maybe Galchenyuk), so any word on him being able to play C or RW is helpful.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
We already have 6 D on one way deals with Dotchin expected to be the 7th. Someone is going to be paid good to sit, Sergachev will make that two. Just because he's better doesn't mean it makes sense for him to be in the lineup. If he was our 2nd or 3rd best D you play him, but 5th isn't worth it because it's marginally better than what's behind him right now.

Sustr and Koekkoek are on one year deals with Dotchin possibly being on the same. I can't see all three playing well enough to cement a spot for the following year, Sergachev will take one of those spots. Cernak has had a great development camp but need to see him in a real camp and preseason. Most likely he spends all year in Syracuse then takes Sustr spot if he earns it or for sure Girardi, Coburn or Stralman when their deals end in two years. Thomas is still ahead of him so he could be up next year along with Masin who has the edge on the left if Sergachev is in junior.

But he could develop really nice on a pair with Stralman

Hedman-Dotchin
Sergachev-Stralman
Coburn-KK/Sustr/G

Hopefully KK

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
lol thanks for that. We obviously have a hole at C, and now with losing Radulov one has opened up at RW. We are way more loaded at LW (Pacioretty, Lehokonen, Byron, maybe Galchenyuk), so any word on him being able to play C or RW is helpful.

When he was in junior, Yzerman stated he believed Drouin should be a C, so he spent his last year of junior playing C. We experimented with it briefly in the A, but then abandoned it. He's played either wing since.

There will be nights where he's the single reason you watch. Under the MTL spotlight, he's going to be recognized as one of the most, if not the most, exciting players in the league. I can't even remember all the times he did something where my reaction was, "I have never seen that done in the NHL before."

I can't believe we traded him inside the division. I can only imagine what kind of chip he's going to have on his shoulder in MTL-TB games. It's gonna get... ... ...Ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad