Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Sergachev has been progressing ever since the trade but this year, he really looks like a future #1 with all the tools you'd want in a d-man. As impressive a "breakout" season as I have seen in quite some time, this guy is fun to watch out there.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Sergachev has been progressing ever since the trade but this year, he really looks like a future #1 with all the tools you'd want in a d-man. As impressive a "breakout" season as I have seen in quite some time, this guy is fun to watch out there.

and all last year everyone on here said Cernek was better then SERG lol

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
and all last year everyone on here said Cernek was better then SERG lol
cernak WILL be better then sergachev all around todd so will foot bank it...

yep I am wrong on sergachev he is actually going to be a true number one d man hell he is already passed my expectations defensively and his upside scoring is gonna be nice for a very very long time... he is more physical more confident his decisions are spot on this year finally he has grown faster then hedman did honestly crazy....

he will outscore cernak maybe foote but otherwise? shut down? both them be better at that but being a 200 foot d man? play both sides make 60 points a year? ya sergey looks like hes on his way honestly he has WORKED HIS ASS off this year for real with kucherov on his shots etc.... his decision making is exceptional..... cernak hasnt played bad this year imho mcd might have been or is hurt a bit imho...... i still think cernak can score in 40 range long term like strally ...... our d has actually been pretty good after the first month stat wise eye check wise yep make mistakes they all do but vasy just not bailing out.....

why i said earlier about 2 months ago forget how we are playing play more aggro in all situations take the puck carrier and shooter out every time cause if gets to net its 50/50 at times vasy will stop it..... just what hes going through sadly:( really awful puck luck on one hand and days he cannot spot a beach ball coming at him lol...... sergachev and rutta in last month both have been pressuring the puck carrier and shooters taking that extra step more often then not..... so yep gonna be tips and deflections but less shots should be getting to vasy or less dangerous ones he cant seem to follow long shots..... i dont blame vasy on the we let a guy get down to circles and fire shots he doesnt save often right now.... he will when he gets his game back but again doing that extra step one step forward instead of letting shoot or carry that we had been doing???

i think this is biggest adjustment we've done this year now and we are finally getting some results still a work in progress but is very promising to me at least :)

Reactions: Todd1a

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
cernak WILL be better then sergachev all around todd so will foot bank it...

yep I am wrong on sergachev he is actually going to be a true number one d man hell he is already passed my expectations defensively and his upside scoring is gonna be nice for a very very long time... he is more physical more confident his decisions are spot on this year finally he has grown faster then hedman did honestly crazy....

he will outscore cernak maybe foote but otherwise? shut down? both them be better at that but being a 200 foot d man? play both sides make 60 points a year? ya sergey looks like hes on his way honestly he has WORKED HIS ASS off this year for real with kucherov on his shots etc.... his decision making is exceptional..... cernak hasnt played bad this year imho mcd might have been or is hurt a bit imho...... i still think cernak can score in 40 range long term like strally ...... our d has actually been pretty good after the first month stat wise eye check wise yep make mistakes they all do but vasy just not bailing out.....

why i said earlier about 2 months ago forget how we are playing play more aggro in all situations take the puck carrier and shooter out every time cause if gets to net its 50/50 at times vasy will stop it..... just what hes going through sadly:( really awful puck luck on one hand and days he cannot spot a beach ball coming at him lol...... sergachev and rutta in last month both have been pressuring the puck carrier and shooters taking that extra step more often then not..... so yep gonna be tips and deflections but less shots should be getting to vasy or less dangerous ones he cant seem to follow long shots..... i dont blame vasy on the we let a guy get down to circles and fire shots he doesnt save often right now.... he will when he gets his game back but again doing that extra step one step forward instead of letting shoot or carry that we had been doing???

i think this is biggest adjustment we've done this year now and we are finally getting some results still a work in progress but is very promising to me at least :)

I still don’t expect sergachev to be a number one defenseman but he will be a really good top 4 defenseman probably a very good number two defenseman. There was a ton of hate on him last year but we forgot he is only 21 years old! It wasn’t until hedman hit 23 years old that he became and elite number one.

cernak I have no problem with he will be a good top 4 shutdown d man in this league for many years! Cal foote I don’t know kid has not even played one nhl game yet ! Is foote not good enough or are they just really taking there time with his development? I kind of thought this year we might at least see him called up for a few games at least!

anyone heard is sergachev is injuried ? I wouldn’t be surprised if his hand or fingers were broken

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
he was. He's not now. Serg take a massive step forward. It happens.
I know we talk about he's improved defensively, and it's mainly come in his improvement in defending the rush (gaps are so much better) plus physicality in the corners, but his offensive game has developed too.

It's not just about points, it's about controlling the flow in the offensive zone. He is still a *very* willing shooter, but he takes multiple shots. Great wrister through traffic. Great slapshot. And great vision in finding passing lanes, while also making the safe play down the boards or d2d when that's the right play.

It's funny comparing him to Hedman - Hedman seemed to have put it together for about two seasons before Boucher was fired, but was never given the ice time to show it, but the second he gets on the PP and isn't used exclusively as a shutdown player, he starts getting Norris buzz. Serge is a bit different - he's always been given the opportunity, but it's starting to gel. I don't know what his ceiling is - he's got every tool you could want out of an elite defender and should age fairly well (especially without having to take on too much responsibility since we have Hedman and McDonagh still), but he has just been terrific. I was down on him last season, but he's figured some shit out.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I know we talk about he's improved defensively, and it's mainly come in his improvement in defending the rush (gaps are so much better) plus physicality in the corners, but his offensive game has developed too.

It's not just about points, it's about controlling the flow in the offensive zone. He is still a *very* willing shooter, but he takes multiple shots. Great wrister through traffic. Great slapshot. And great vision in finding passing lanes, while also making the safe play down the boards or d2d when that's the right play.

It's funny comparing him to Hedman - Hedman seemed to have put it together for about two seasons before Boucher was fired, but was never given the ice time to show it, but the second he gets on the PP and isn't used exclusively as a shutdown player, he starts getting Norris buzz. Serge is a bit different - he's always been given the opportunity, but it's starting to gel. I don't know what his ceiling is - he's got every tool you could want out of an elite defender and should age fairly well (especially without having to take on too much responsibility since we have Hedman and McDonagh still), but he has just been terrific. I was down on him last season, but he's figured some **** out.

Agreed on the offense. I don't think people accurately remember his rookie season much. He put up points, but there were a loooot of pedestrian points in those, and he went silent in the 2nd half. But it was what you might expect from a talented rookie who hadn't had a lot of development time.

Last year was the definition of a sophomore slump. It was like he kept going back to the well on the few things he'd had success with--that move at the blue line, and putting pucks on goal--and it just got really predictable.

This year he's put it together. You never really know what he's going to do, but he makes things happen. I think the game has just slowed down for him enough that he realizes how many options he has on any given play. Last year, I think he made snap decisions on what he was going to do before he ever really assessed his options.

He always had top tier offensive skills though. The interesting thing, to me, is how far he's come defensively. It's like a lightbulb turned on in his brain and he's like, "Oh, so THAT'S how you defend in the NHL? Oh, yeah, I got this."

It's also interesting how many nights he's been either our best player or close to our best player. It feels, in a way, like he's becoming a bit of a leader, at least on the ice. The Buffalo game was a good illustration of that. We were all talking about fights etc prior to the game, because of the bonehead Saber transaction, but I don't think a single one of us figured it would be Sergachev standing his ground, especially when, to that point, he was probably our only guy having a good game.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Agreed on the offense. I don't think people accurately remember his rookie season much. He put up points, but there were a loooot of pedestrian points in those, and he went silent in the 2nd half. But it was what you might expect from a talented rookie who hadn't had a lot of development time.

Last year was the definition of a sophomore slump. It was like he kept going back to the well on the few things he'd had success with--that move at the blue line, and putting pucks on goal--and it just got really predictable.

This year he's put it together. You never really know what he's going to do, but he makes things happen. I think the game has just slowed down for him enough that he realizes how many options he has on any given play. Last year, I think he made snap decisions on what he was going to do before he ever really assessed his options.

He always had top tier offensive skills though. The interesting thing, to me, is how far he's come defensively. It's like a lightbulb turned on in his brain and he's like, "Oh, so THAT'S how you defend in the NHL? Oh, yeah, I got this."

It's also interesting how many nights he's been either our best player or close to our best player. It feels, in a way, like he's becoming a bit of a leader, at least on the ice. The Buffalo game was a good illustration of that. We were all talking about fights etc prior to the game, because of the bonehead sabre transaction, but I don't think a single one of us figured it would be Sergachev standing his ground, especially when, to that point, he was probably our only guy having a good game.
On his D - I still think he struggles against sustained pressure a bit, but that's to be expected, because it requires many more reads as the play continuously develops. He is using his size better to break up the cycle though, but when he's guarding the guy who *doesn't* have the puck, you can see him standing still a bit without knowing exactly where to be.

Another thing that will improve with experience.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

It's funny comparing him to Hedman - Hedman seemed to have put it together for about two seasons before Boucher was fired, but was never given the ice time to show it, but the second he gets on the PP and isn't used exclusively as a shutdown player, he starts getting Norris buzz. Serge is a bit different - he's always been given the opportunity, but it's starting to gel. I don't know what his ceiling is - he's got every tool you could want out of an elite defender and should age fairly well (especially without having to take on too much responsibility since we have Hedman and McDonagh still), but he has just been terrific. I was down on him last season, but he's figured some **** out.

Don't think that's the case, that would've put Hedman in his sophomore year and his situation wasn't a case of ice time, he was just really, really raw. Hedman was playing 20+ minutes a night every season under Boucher and averaged more ice time per game in Boucher's final 2 seasons than he did under Cooper's first 2.

He really didn't click until midway through the season Boucher was fired. IIRC we were both pretty hard on Hedman during his first 3.5 years because he was so stagnant in terms of developing anything and then a lightbulb went off and he realized he was 6'6 and could skate with the puck more than twice a season.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Sergachev keeps this up he is looking at a good bridge contract maybe 4.9 avv for 3 years ? That’s what the Boston defenseman got

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Don't think that's the case, that would've put Hedman in his sophomore year. He really didn't click until midway through the season Boucher was fired. IIRC we were both pretty hard on Hedman during his first 3.5 years because he was so stagnant in terms of developing anything and then a lightbulb went off and he realized he was 6'6 and could skate with the puck more than twice a season.

I remember Hedman was drafted in 2009 and 2014 he started to become really good! Especially in the 2015 playoffs to the finals. Sergachev was drafted in 2016 so coming up in June will be 4 years since he was drafted. So in his 5th season next year Sergachev becomes Hedman? Lol

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Damn what a beast

Mtl did him a favour. I think Sergachev would not have developed there

Montreal could have mcdonagh and Sergachev right now playing in front of price they made 2 bad trades!

I was kind of pissed when yzerman traded drouin for Sergachev straight up ! At first then watched him play and not so much especially now lol

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Don't think that's the case, that would've put Hedman in his sophomore year and his situation wasn't a case of ice time, he was just really, really raw. Hedman was playing 20+ minutes a night every season under Boucher and averaged more ice time per game in Boucher's final 2 seasons than he did under Cooper's first 2.

He really didn't click until midway through the season Boucher was fired. IIRC we were both pretty hard on Hedman during his first 3.5 years because he was so stagnant in terms of developing anything and then a lightbulb went off and he realized he was 6'6 and could skate with the puck more than twice a season.
I think it was more "when is the offense going to come" - he was fine to good defensively before that.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
On his D - I still think he struggles against sustained pressure a bit, but that's to be expected, because it requires many more reads as the play continuously develops. He is using his size better to break up the cycle though, but when he's guarding the guy who *doesn't* have the puck, you can see him standing still a bit without knowing exactly where to be.

Another thing that will improve with experience.

Ha. On his d.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i think he will be legit number one d man... thing was last year his decision making was bad like sustr bad this year is night and day and his decison making IS excellent on both ends

i never saw all the upside he has shown.... usually id say 9 out of 10 offensively gifted who lack defensive skills and awareness are not able to learn...

he is showing mad skills but the thought process is there..... whomever IS COACHING HIM UP i assume is d guys is doing a HELL of a job for us honestly..... cause he is flat out absorbing it which I thought the kid had rock for brains lol

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I like the way he celebrated his goals and talks to his teammates lately, trying to pump them up. That's what leaders do.

Reactions: DaBolts

LeonTheKing

Aug 8, 2016
It's obvious Serg plays his best hockey recently but I'm a bit surprised he's got so much PK time now, when McD is injured. Hell, last game he even was the most used Bolts d-man on PK and it wasn't because of other d-men penalties. Maybe he is a regular penalty killer even when McD is back in lineup, what do you think?

Reactions: DaBolts

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
It's obvious Serg plays his best hockey recently but I'm a bit surprised he's got so much PK time now, when McD is injured. Hell, last game he even was the most used Bolts d-man on PK and it wasn't because of other d-men penalties. Maybe he is a regular penalty killer even when McD is back in lineup, what do you think?

I have no problem with that. Let McD get healthy into the playoffs. A beast like Big Mac being healthy with a Serge who gets it and the Hedmonster? Yeah, gonna suck coming into our zone. The neutral zone that is.

Reactions: TheFurryPickle

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
sergy has passed hedman time wise in overall abilities his upside has become off the charts talk about being wrong on a guy.... i still love cernak..... i still think foote will be awesome d man for us for years.... but being better then sergy for either? god if that happens we will have all time best defensive team in hockey history its that crazy how much skill this kid is now showing.....wow and losing UGLY lol

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
We really should have re-signed him this past summer. Now he's gonna cost us a ton this offseason and I don't know why but Sergachev gives me the vibe of the guy who would sign an offer-sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad