Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev - Part 2

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
There's no way in this world that Sergachev earns more in his deal than Point.

I would try to sign him to an extension like Hedman's. That was 4 x 5 years, maybe a bit more with current salary cap. 4.5 x 5
I have to think he'll try to stay under 4 years. He seems like a pretty confident guy.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
That simply isn’t going to happen if Sergachev ends the year at his current pace. Sergachev has much better production than Hedman at the end of his ELC and RFAs are treated much differently. 5-6M minimum on a 3 year deal and it’ll be pushing 7M on 5+ years.

Sergachev has much better point totals yes but the team is scoring roughly 1 goal a game more than the team did when Hedman was on his ELC. Hedman was also getting limited PP time while also playing much more minutes a game. Hedman was playing over 20 minutes a night as an 18 year old, Sergachev was 19 his first year playing less than 16 minutes. Hedman was playing a lot more SH then on the PP while it's the opposite for Sergachev. Hedman at 4M took up 6.2% of the cap so if we just use that number it was be slightly over 5M at the current cap. Hedman was much more valuable to the team than Sergachev is currently so I hope he doesn't get more than 5M.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Sergachev has much better point totals yes but the team is scoring roughly 1 goal a game more than the team did when Hedman was on his ELC. Hedman was also getting limited PP time while also playing much more minutes a game. Hedman was playing over 20 minutes a night as an 18 year old, Sergachev was 19 his first year playing less than 16 minutes. Hedman was playing a lot more SH then on the PP while it's the opposite for Sergachev. Hedman at 4M took up 6.2% of the cap so if we just use that number it was be slightly over 5M at the current cap. Hedman was much more valuable to the team than Sergachev is currently so I hope he doesn't get more than 5M.

Hedman and Sergachev aren't great comparables. Provorov and Werenski are his comparables. He'll be getting 5M+ on a 3 year deal.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hedman and Sergachev aren't great comparables. Provorov and Werenski are his comparables. He'll be getting 5M+ on a 3 year deal.

And Tampa players usually come in under their comparables, he won't be getting 5m+.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I dont think I find anything more annoying than a) posters making definitive comments about a players attitude toward contracts based on a few lines from interviews, and b) making definitive comments generally about how a contract is going to shake out.

Anyway - Boston did us a favor last offseason with those McAvoy and Carlo contracts for Serge and Cernak.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Both of those players were being used as top pair guys from day 1. In their rookie years Werenski was at almost 21 a night and Provorov 22, the next year Werenski up to 22 and Provorov 25 where he's been since. Werenski was up to 23+ his last ELC year. Sergachev isn't even playing 20 minutes a night yet on average. Sergachev might score at a similar pace to those two but he doesn't have their usage so paying him 5+ wouldn't be a good idea to me just yet, that's on a bridge deal.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
making definitive comments generally about how a contract is going to shake out.

You should know better, given the context, that nobody is speaking definitively

Sergachev might score at a similar pace to those two but he doesn't have their usage so paying him 5+ wouldn't be a good idea to me just yet, that's on a bridge deal.

This is why I think there is a good possibility that his ask is higher than what we are willing to give, very easy for his camp to see his production and want more.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
3 x 4.5 is my guess. He won't go over 5, and he'll follow the long-standing tradition of taking a "discount" (before taxes).

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You should know better, given the context, that nobody is speaking definitively

This is why I think there is a good possibility that his ask is higher than what we are willing to give, very easy for his camp to see his production and want more.

But increased minutes doesn't mean increased production. Especially if those minutes are much tougher ones. Look at McDonagh and his production, he is asked to play the hardest minutes and his offense this year is down. Sergachev is getting very favorable matchups, minutes and zone starts if he's asked to be a true top pair guy, like Werenski or Provorov, I don't think his production will increase that much it might actually dip a little with that extra wear and tear.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
But increased minutes doesn't mean increased production. Especially if those minutes are much tougher ones. Look at McDonagh and his production, he is asked to play the hardest minutes and his offense this year is down. Sergachev is getting very favorable matchups, minutes and zone starts if he's asked to be a true top pair guy, like Werenski or Provorov, I don't think his production will increase that much it might actually dip a little with that extra wear and tear.

I am not disputing that, but his agent will. Sergachev is a clear cut case of being in a position where traditionally, the player’s camp is asking for more due to his offensive production outshining the peripherals. It happens almost every time, and I don’t mind being the doomsayer saying it will happen again.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I am not disputing that, but his agent will. Sergachev is a clear cut case of being in a position where traditionally, the player’s camp is asking for more due to his offensive production outshining the peripherals. It happens almost every time, and I don’t mind being the doomsayer saying it will happen again.

I don't know. It's not like his raw numbers are monstrous. He's looking at roughly 40 points.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Maybe not for us, but that’s a top 30 and a #1 offensive D spot for most teams in this league.

I mean.... nothing you're saying is actually wrong in terms of his comparables and expected salaries. But when "Point's new contract will start with a 1" was a meme for like a year I'm optimistic Sergachev will follow through with the hometown discount. It is so deep-rooted into the fabric of our team now that save for maybe John Gibson, Hedman has the arguably best contract in the NHL right now. God-like Norris trophy caliber defense for less than $8 million a year is gonna drive Sergachev's number down because they're teammates. Anywhere else I'd say your predictions would stand to be correct.

The only thing I'm really comfortable in predicting is that Sergachev, Cernak and Cirelli are gonna get 3 year deals because in 2022-2023 Brayden Point is gonna say "Your cap space is belong to me" and it's gonna be helpful that the other guys still have a year left on their bridge deals.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Wouldn't be shocked for the team to aim for a six year contract with him, give or take a year. They have only two defenders that are signed after next season and Coburn will be 36 at that point, Cernak will need a new deal and will likely be a staple for a while, and we'll likely need to ease in some new young defenders in the meantime. The problem with that is that Foote is about your only guy that looks remotely close to making the jump and all the others have mostly fizzled so far.

One or two of these forwards are going to have to go to get some defensive help and i'm still thinking that they may add a defender at the deadline.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wouldn't be shocked for the team to aim for a six year contract with him, give or take a year. They have only two defenders that are signed after next season and Coburn will be 36 at that point, Cernak will need a new deal and will likely be a staple for a while, and we'll likely need to ease in some new young defenders in the meantime. The problem with that is that Foote is about your only guy that looks remotely close to making the jump and all the others have mostly fizzled so far.

One or two of these forwards are going to have to go to get some defensive help and i'm still thinking that they may add a defender at the deadline.

At the same time...

Hedman - Sergachev
McDonagh - Cernak

is about as solid as it gets moving forward, assuming we can nail those down. I don't expect Rutta to demand a massive raise, and then we do have Foote, who's hopefully on the brink of an NHL career. So while we do have some spots available, they're not premium spots, so I don't think we're going to need a big shake up to fill them.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
At the same time...

Hedman - Sergachev
McDonagh - Cernak

is about as solid as it gets moving forward, assuming we can nail those down. I don't expect Rutta to demand a massive raise, and then we do have Foote, who's hopefully on the brink of an NHL career. So while we do have some spots available, they're not premium spots, so I don't think we're going to need a big shake up to fill them.

The other option moving forward and more long term thinking would be to trade McDonagh in the off-season or if we couldn't, leave him exposed for Seattle.

Hedman - Cernak
Sergachev - Foote

I like McDonagh and don't want to lose him now or quite that soon but he is kind of a luxury and it would open up the left side for Serg, and we have Foote/Cernak on the right side. He's just a luxury we might be better off getting rid of before his age and contract become a problem, especially with up and coming younger defenders....Will be a tough decision imo. Also helps us not having to protect 4 D in the expansion draft if we trade him beforehand, or leave him exposed. I dont think they would take Foote if we left him exposed...hard to say.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
The other option moving forward and more long term thinking would be to trade McDonagh in the off-season or if we couldn't, leave him exposed for Seattle.

Hedman - Cernak
Sergachev - Foote

I like McDonagh and don't want to lose him now or quite that soon but he is kind of a luxury and it would open up the left side for Serg, and we have Foote/Cernak on the right side. He's just a luxury we might be better off getting rid of before his age and contract become a problem, especially with up and coming younger defenders....Will be a tough decision imo. Also helps us not having to protect 4 D in the expansion draft if we trade him beforehand, or leave him exposed. I dont think they would take Foote if we left him exposed...hard to say.
You're talking about 3/4ths of your top 4 being under 23 and thats pretty risky.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Hedman - Cernak
Sergachev - Foote

I don't want to go back to the days of having D we can't trust. Hedman's contract lets us keep those other guys.

Foote could still be years away from making a solid impact, let alone being a top 4 D. Cernak was a rarity. Usually the transition isn't nearly as smooth.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

Hedman - Cernak
Sergachev - Foote

We can't trade McDonagh until the final year of his contract.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Hedman - Cernak
Sergachev - Foote

Foote in the top-4 as a rookie? That's not even a tough decision, that's just stupid and setting him up to fail. I'd like to see Hedman and McDonagh sit out for 10 games before someone else brings up being cheap on defense again.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't want to go back to the days of having D we can't trust. Hedman's contract lets us keep those other guys.

Foote could still be years away from making a solid impact, let alone being a top 4 D. Cernak was a rarity. Usually the transition isn't nearly as smooth.

Cernak also fell into an incredibly favorable situation being paired with someone like McDonagh as a partner while being able to alternate workloads with a Hedman on another pairing. Sergachev has improved is nowhere near capable of anchoring a line by himself while taking on a rookie as well.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013

I'm sure I read a Groulx quote on here a week or so ago about how well Masin has been playing this year. An option perhaps? @HoseEmDown @Werewolf

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You're talking about 3/4ths of your top 4 being under 23 and thats pretty risky.

I don’t like the idea of trading McDonagh either, IMO he’s irreplaceable as long as we are aiming high in the postseason. The age thing though...this league has become insanely young very quickly, your an old man at 30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad