Value of: Mikeal Backlund

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
You won’t get what you’re looking for here. Better to keep Backs, the teams that would be interested in a player of his age and caliber would likely want to deploy him as a 3C, and he makes too much for that to a contender

He’s worth more to Calgary, very versatile

Mike Smith

Jan 9, 2019
He has his hardcore fans... I am not one. I would be content with Ryan / Gawdin as the Flames 3c / 4c. But the question stands for fans of other teams... what would you offer for him, if he could be talked into moving.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Not a good idea. He's one of the best two way players on the team. Also a huge stabilizing influence in the middle six. Very consistent offensively.

His contract is high enough that nothing good is coming back. The Flames do need to add a big offensive force, but this is not the right bait.

Reactions: Nanuuk

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Backs is a flames lifer who will be signed by the team in a coaching position or development role after.

Guy plays the exact way you want someone to play, is a key player in the locker room, a great role model and great in the community.

I would honestly hate seeing backs go no matter what the return is.

He has made Calgary his home and will even likely stay here post Career.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Backlund has potential to be a huge cap liability with the amount of term remaining on his contract relative to his age. I would stay clear of him.

Mike Smith

Jan 9, 2019
Im just asking for his value around the league, not like i am GMBT
That's part of the problem... his die hard fans have been pumping about how great he is for years... even if the stat lines or reality contradict them... and it seems fans around this board see him very differently as well.... Chiasson indeed. While Backlund does some thing very well... the Flames are loaded with PK guys and really we need somebody to spark the offense and bring a physical element... Backlund 5v5 or one the 2nd PP has not been either shooter or playmaker and he only seems to hit with his stick. Expensive to put him on the bottom 6, but that is really what has to happen because giving him 2nd line minutes isn't going to help us score goals. But maybe somebody needs a PK guy who is steady defensively... and we could horse trade him.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Not a good idea. He's one of the best two way players on the team. Also a huge stabilizing influence in the middle six. Very consistent offensively.

His contract is high enough that nothing good is coming back. The Flames do need to add a big offensive force, but this is not the right bait.
Backlund may be one of the best two way players on the team but he is FAR from a consistent offensive player. Especially this season. If someone comes along with an offer of a RW with a similar production and defensive play, I'd have to think about trading him. Lindholm and Monahan are already both top 6 centres. Ryan is an amazing 3C, and 4C isn't a position that we're in a big need of (Gawdin, Jankowski, Rieder, Bennett, Czarnik, and Quine can all play there)

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Backlund may be one of the best two way players on the team but he is FAR from a consistent offensive player. Especially this season. If someone comes along with an offer of a RW with a similar production and defensive play, I'd have to think about trading him. Lindholm and Monahan are already both top 6 centres. Ryan is an amazing 3C, and 4C isn't a position that we're in a big need of (Gawdin, Jankowski, Rieder, Bennett, Czarnik, and Quine can all play there)
Backlund puts up 40-50 points from the mid six every year. Very consistently.

Reactions: Nanuuk

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Backlund puts up 40-50 points from the mid six every year. Very consistently.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's a near ~50ish point center who is responsible both ways and makes players around him better. Why are Flames fans suddenly in such a hurry to move him? Worst case scenario, is he's an elite #3C at a "market value" cap number. Realistically though...he's a serviceable #2C with some competent linemates. Having depth down the middle is always extremely valuable. Having a #3C who can be a #2C is exactly what smart teams strive to have.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
5.35x6 is pretty yikes for a 3C that is on pace for 11g/38pts

He needs to rebound to at least 20ishg/45-50pts to be worth that

his value is probably hovering around minus with that contract at this point. flames need him to bounce back to consider getting anything in return

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
5.35x6 is pretty yikes for a 3C that is on pace for 11g/38pts

He needs to rebound to at least 20ishg/45-50pts to be worth that

his value is probably hovering around minus with that contract at this point. flames need him to bounce back to consider getting anything in return

Plays super well defensively, it’s okay if he doesn’t crack 40 some seasons.

Reactions: CF84 and Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad